1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll in Kits Yay or Nay?

Jun 26, 2007

?
  1. Yes, I would like that!

2. No, I don't want to spend all that time and work before I can enjoy my doll

3. Yes, I'd like that, it should be an option doll makers could do for us.

4. Yes, there should be... It could mean I could get my dream doll for cheaper.

5. No I am waiting long enough for my dolls already, I'd rather pay and have a finished doll.

6. I have no real opinion on the subject.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Hm, I think it would be good to offer the kit as an option, but the assembled doll as well.... maybe only assembled if you want their stock faceup and wig and eyes, and a kit if you don't want their stock faceup/wig/eyes and are just after the blank doll... Because if you don't mind not getting your doll in "ready to play" condition (i.e. strung, with a faceup, wig, eyes, perhaps even undies or a shift depending on company) you could save a lot of money. If you buy a doll like a Volks standard that comes with all of that stuff but you're going to change the faceup and don't want the wig and eyes, you're more or less just throwing away the portion of the doll's price that goes toward the faceup, wig, eyes, etc... (you can always resell wigs and eyes but its hard to resell a facup XD)

So yes, it would be great if kits were offered for more dolls... but it's also nice to be able to buy a doll that's already "ready" for you. That way people can choose which they want... : )

2. I agree with you, I don';t say company should drop the finished dolls but just offer us the kit option for people who wants to have hands on experience with their dolls =)

3. Definitely should be available as an option... ESPECIALLY if it means it can take a chunk out of the price :D

4. Yes I think it'd be a nice option to have, I'd love to have a part in the actual building of the doll, not to mention if it brought the cost down a little bit, that has to be good ;)

5. Yes yes yes. I love putting kits together, be it doll kits or model kits. :)

6. I totally think having more doll kits available would be great. I too, love customizing and finishing off my own doll. Plus it's a great experience. Since the community IS mostly supposed to be truely customizable dolls, all the full-sets and completely sanded/strung/painted aren't in that essence. A lot of people I think have become less hands-on. But for those of us that are hands-on, the kit idea is wonderful. Not to mention cheaper, which is nice, too.

7. I would be thrilled with more dolls being offered as lower-priced kits.
      I'm perfectly capable of sanding and assembling a doll on my own and have no problem doing so, especially if I can save a little money by doing it.

8. I would like a doll in kit form. I used to put together other kits and it was a lot of fun. It made me feel like I was more involved with the thing I was putting together. I want to get a doll in kit form some day but they are hard to find at the moment.

9. I voted "Yes I could get my dream doll for cheaper"
      But it's also simply "Yes I'd like that".

Unfortunately I discovered BJD too late to take full advantage of the Volks oldskin FCS pieces you could buy unassembled and put together yourself... and now they're getting SO hard to find >_<

I love making things, I don't want to pay someone money to do something I can do myself. I'd rather have the choice to spend that money on something I can't do myself... like on certain outfits, shoes, wigs, eyes...

Of course lots of people can't do the handywork, or would rather pay someone else to, or can simply afford to. That's great too, but it'd be nice to have the choice!!

Raven

10. My dream would get the new Volks SD13 Elena as a kit... I would be soooo happy if they were to do that! I could get an MSD as a kit but a SD-13 doll wow that would be great!

11. I bonded very well with my girl when she arrived~ she was a kit!
      The lower price as well as the priceless bonding~ make it all worthwhile.
      It would be great as an additional option from companies, and if you think about it, it might actually cut down on the wait time because they wouldn't have to string/paint/sand for you!

12. Sometimes it's because, I think< some company don't want to give you an unfinished doll. That may be why there's no longer any SD or SD13 dolls availlable to order as a kit from Volks. I don't think Luts ever did a kit (I could be wrong) the only doll company I know who made kits are Volks, Angelregion, Souldoll and Soom. But in the case of Angelregion, Som and Souldoll they were just special event things and never something current.

13. Its so wonderful making your own doll.. i'm totally for kits! It allows you to add your own touches!

14. Kits can be fun, my MSD Ken and MSD Myu were both kits and I had fun getting them put together (I fail horribly at stringing and face-ups), but at the same time I love it when the dolls come in a finished state because then I can start playing with them right away ^_^

15. I haven't done it yet, but I'd like to get a kit doll too, for the fun and the financial aspects of it. On the blue fairy site if you buy a body from their parts section you have the choice, to ship it assembled with box and cushions or to have it sent in parts as a kit. You can then buy the blue fairy head of your choice but they do sell painted heads, so good if you want to build it but not confident enough to do a faceup. I'm thinking of getting a Sarang with blossom body this way n_n so I can build her and have lots of fun.

16. i didn't know that was even an option! it took me forever to figure out stringing cause mine came stringed and i really bonded better after i unstrung to hot glue

and if it means some saved cash...i can handle that

17. I've been meaning to suggest to Happydoll that they bring back kits, cos it's a great way to save a bit of money and bond with your doll.

My first doll was a kit and it was so much fun stringing and painting him, it helped me get properly hooked on BJDs.

18. *****n/a*****

19. I probably always take dolls apart for coating, body blushing, and a faceup, so every doll is similar to a kit ^^;

It is fun to play with the assembled doll for a little before you take him/her apart, but other than that, kits and completed dolls are very similar for me.

20. I think maybe part of the reason companies like to send out assembled dolls is because that way they are more like a "comapanion" or child, and less like a figure kit. Volks and Gentaro Araki (Unoa) both started out as figure companies/artists, for example, and they sell kit dolls. Most other BJD companies seem to have been formed solely as doll companies, without doing the resin figure kits first, maybe that has something to do with it? :?

Though I do think it would be great if more brands had more optional parts... some don't even offer optional hands (and come in difficult to match resin colours). I think optional parts really appeal to the customizable aspect of BJDs so it would be nice to see more option parts and more variety in option parts (i.e. more than just a couple of hands and maybe a larger bust part). :)