1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll in Kits Yay or Nay?

Jun 26, 2007

?
  1. Yes, I would like that!

2. No, I don't want to spend all that time and work before I can enjoy my doll

3. Yes, I'd like that, it should be an option doll makers could do for us.

4. Yes, there should be... It could mean I could get my dream doll for cheaper.

5. No I am waiting long enough for my dolls already, I'd rather pay and have a finished doll.

6. I have no real opinion on the subject.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Volks has their MSDs only in assembly kits; I'd rather they gave it as an option, especially for new owners who, like me, are not exactly thrilled to do a face-up right away.

2. I love them, three of my 7 dolls came in kits: one MinoruWorld Junior (the head + unassembled body option), one Unoa and one Volks MSD, and I've lost the count of the times I've reassembled and repainted my Kylin. Right now one of the two dolls in my wishlist is an Alice in Labyrinth's Aya, that I'd also buy in kit form.

I feel better handling a doll I have customised myself, and it's more fun, too.

3. I just bought an Alice in Labyrinth kit BECAUSE of the outrageous price - kit vs. assembled. I'm really happy with it and it's been a fun project!

4. I've only done one so far - Volks MSD - but I quite enjoyed it and I'd love an excuse/the excessive funds to get another. (Volks Mire and Taa-chan/Mii-chan are sooo cute . . .)

5. All of my dolls may have as well come in kit form, since the first thing I did when I got them was to take them apart, give them a good scrub, wipe their faceups, reseal them, then restring them.

And I agree with Silk - A lot of the gung-ho attitude to customisation and maintenance has gone from this hobby. It feels like half of the gallery threads now say "Faceup by X, Clothes by Y, Photographed by Z, owned by A." I always wonder, in instances like that, how much input A really has into the look and portrayal of the doll.

6. Very interesting question. I was at first iffy on it but it will truly help especially if you want the doll strung in a certain way :). So it would be nice if they DID give that option ^_^.

7. I would buy kits if they were offered on the dolls I want, it is a little sad to me that more companies don't offer the option for a kit, especially considering it would be very easy to offer both fully assembled dolls as well as kits

I'm always for more options

8. I honestly would enjoy the "kit experience". Maybe someday a sculpt on my wishlist will be offered in kit form. :XD: I would definitely be up for the challenge!

9. All my BJD arrived assembled and with faceup, only two extra BJD I already had came home as kits, but I would love every company gave that option about every BJD on sale so the customer was the only one to choose. Getting a kit maybe would not be the best choice when the person ordering does not know how to handle them yet, but after some experience I think the kit option would be, besides a good way of reducing expenses, the more logical choice whom is more interested in getting the sculpt blank to work on it and the sanding and then put all the pieces together.

10. I've never had a doll come in kit-form, but I think that it would be a fun experience! Get to know the inner workings of the doll and if you wanted to suede/body blush/face-up, you could do that from the get-go.
      Maybe it could be an option, like in a drop-down menu on the order page for some? *Shrug*

11. Personally I would love it if more dolls came in kit-form. Almost all of mine are hybrids and every time when I have a doll completed I'm restringing him anyway and sometimes mod small features (the hands for instance). It's a great way to get to know him.

Restringing isn't that hard and there are many tutorials on DoA. Company websites sometimes also have a restringing tutorial (I believe Luts does, or at least: did).

12. i've never bought a doll in kit, but i would love to have the option! i don't mind restringing them myself if it saves on the price, and anyway, i'll install silicon discs/kips so i'll have to restring them anyway. and getting them apart lets me play with the parts and know how their joints work.

13. While I love the idea of kits, it feels like the kits available aren't exactly competitive on price.

14. I would buy kits for all the dolls i buy if there was the option. I always get them blank anyway, First thing i do is restring and blush them every time. on top of the extra funds I would have

15. I get a little intimidated with kits since I've never strung a doll before therefore never had to put the pieces together as in kits, but I think the option should be there nonetheless. I'd like to try it sometime though, like people have already said, it can help bonding more with your doll and once you have experience you're less to feel uneasy.

16. I love buying dolls in kit form and I wish more companies would make it a regular option for buying their dolls, instead of just once in a while.

17. A big YAY for doll kits from me. Get rid of the limitations and the limiteds and allow me to buy parts to make unique dolls.

18. Perhaps this is also because - at least the kits I know - they are often created by independent sculptors? Greg Araki's sculpts aren't cheap, but I can imagine that his work would be even more expensive, if he decided to sell them as fully assembled dolls instead of kits.