1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Meet up etiquette?

Oct 7, 2006

1. Cookies, snacks or gifts. Just a little thank you to the person running the meet-up and also a nice little treat for the other attendees. Plus it'll give you an "in" with people. They'll be blown away at how thoughtful you are.

After the meet-up, thank the host. There is alot of work that goes into planning one, and they will be happy that someone noticed.

Other than that, we are all really nice and caring people. You already have something in common with these men and women, so there shouldn't be any awkward silences or uncomforatable moments. Just be yourself, bring your camera, bring your doll, and bring your common sense. That's all you really need!

2. Heh, I second the anti-doll people guardedness. Many passers-by are curious, obviously, but some will be all out mean. There are more of you than them, so just gracefully slide by it.

And this should go without saying, but sadly I've seen it. After the meet, don't post in your journal negatively about other people's dolls. Definitely not about your dolls being more expensive, having better faceups, etc. Remember that others people there, being in the doll hobby, will prolly find your journal at some point.

But mostly relax and have fun! Doll meets are lots of fun, and most of the rules of 'etiquette' are common sense. :)

3. :aheartbea This is a great idea for a thread ^^
      I was really nervous at my first doll meet, but I had two of my best friends (AND MY MUM XD) with me, so it wasn't too bad. xD We were the first people who arrived, so it was a little nervewracking, but there were 5 people and 2 dolls in our party before we even got to teh meet anyway, so it wasn't a problem ^^

Just be polite, talkative and above all: gentle! XD These dolls are not exactly made of china, but they do need looking after, and their clothes can get dirty very easily if you're not careful, and while some people will let it slide, some owners might be upset ^^; (I say this cus our first meet was in a park under a tree with lots of grass and dirt and mucky stuff. XD Fortunately nobody really cared, and I'm used to rolling around in the dirt with Scara, but you never know... xD)

Oh, and if those Shiwoo decide to become Treewoo; everybody's got to muck in for fear of them falling out of said trees >>; We had two toppling Treewoo, and two incredible saves from two skilled DoA members. As long as everybody's tuned in, everybody's safe ;)

I don't mind people picking up Scara, but I get very paranoid when he's more than a few metres away from me, so as long as he's in clear eyesight, I'd happy for BJD people or non-BJD people I trust to handle him and take photos etc. Xiez, I'm less paranoid about, but I still like to keep her close. ^^ It's also really nice to see others post pics of my dolls, makes me feel warm and fuzzy xD *proud parent XDDD*

4. I've never been to a doll meet but I had no idea the amount of people who don't like their dolls touched. If I felt like that I'd never take them out of the house, I'd be a wreck.

5. As others have said, always ask before touching someone else's dolls. And if they give you permission, use both (clean) hands and still don't touch the doll's face. I can't believe how many times I've had to explain to people that hand oils can damage a faceup over time. Even if they've just washed their hands, I don't like it. :(

Also, if you take pictures that include humans, make sure they are okay with having their picture posted all over the internet before you upload your meetup photos! :)

6. - don't touch other people's dolls without their permission

That's the most important one. I have a habit of touching dolls' noses, and it makes some people mad. Gossiping about others who aren't present isn't nice, but we do it anyway. (VT meet-ups are teeny-tiny, and very, very casual.)

7. XD When people ask about the dolls, I end up telling them that we're a collector's club and we're having an outting with some of our collections. Most people seem to accept that as okay, for some reason. Cause we got a LOT of questions at the aquarium, but I don't mind.

8. Or, ack! If you are going to have the person in the photo let them know! There is an AWFUL photo of me holding Elizabeth in one of the Haute doll mags. I asked the lady if the photo would just be my doll...well...that is what I thought I asked. Some communication went wrong so there I am, eyes closed looking very uncomfortble, waiting for the woman to finish her pic. I though she was just zooming in on my girl! I almost died when I saw my pic...:doh

9. Having organized several meet-ups, I second what everyone has said, especially about not being nervous -- everyone is always very nice. I would just add to please introduce yourself and your dolls to the host at the beginning of the meet-up. At least I like to know who's who and who belongs to who, so that I can keep an eye on things. Also, don't leave your doll standing unattended. I would hate to have someone's doll fall and get damaged at one of my meet-ups or even worse, fall on someone else's doll.

Have fun! :)

10. i have a tiny and i let random little kids paly with my doll. even swing her around by her legs and stuff. and i only freak when they try to stick them in their mouths. adn i know a kids is gonna be more destructive than an adult. and it is a toy no matter how much it costs it is still just a toy. so i don't care if poeple play touch or carry my girl. i just want to keep them withing site and an arms lenght

11. One more thing no one seems to have mentioned -- When you bring a guest with you, that is to say, when you bring someone who is not a BJD owner (a boyfriend, a best friend, a child, etc.) make sure that they know the rules about BJD's too. At our last meet-up we had some completely LOVELY guests, whom hopefully we've turned into doll-lovers (I know we haven't turned the fiancee-- but we're not through with him yet- MWAHAHAHA. Ahem).

But some people bring boyfriends/friends/etc and the other people just end up not having a good time and being nervous-- or doing something wrong, like grabbing dolls, and getting a bad reaction from the owner. Let's not make these non-BJD people nervous, let's make sure that they feel comfortable, and that they'll want to come back next time. Make them sure of the rules and they won't have to be nervous, they'll enjoy it, and maybe they'll come to the darkside. :D

12. So I kinda want to go to a doll meet up (never been) but I don't understand how you go about it.
      Do you just show up or do you tell the person who organizes the meetup?
      P.s.-sorry i'm a noob
      ---Mods delete this if there is already a thread like this-I couldn't find one

13. Well, I've been to two so far and on my third this up coming month and the only ettiquette you need is to be nice. :) Say you don't like a type of doll or faceup, don't be rude and say eww, just smile to the owner of the doll and be nice. The type of doll an owner has doesn't mean the owner isn't nice. ;) Talk on the meetup thread for your area, this way you know where it'll be held and when. :) And be yourself, you don't have to hide who you are, but do be nice, no one would want to talk to someone if they're being rude.;)

14. I agree with mjbsd about general ettiquette, just be polite and relax and you'll be fine. As for contacting the person holding the meet first, usually if there is a meetup thread posting your intention to come is usually good enough. If there isn't a meetup thread but you still plan to attend, it's probably a good idea to let people know you're going to come. It's nice to know just about how many people are going to be coming, as well it helps pre-break the ice in a way.

15. Don't touch or pick up another person's doll without permission or touch faces. Don't stand someone else's doll unless they tell you it's ok to. Be aware that there are a heap of expensive items around you, so be careful. The rest should be general etiquette.

16. Agreeing with Latte. Don't touch unless you've asked, and the rest is common sense. :)

17. Ditto. Don't touch other's dolls/belongings without permission, be careful when posing dolls (assuming you've gotten permission to do so), and even when you DO have permission to touch, never touch a doll's face.

18. Is there a thread in the meetup forum?
      You should at least post there to say you're attending.
      Some meetups require reservations or are held in places with limited space and the organizer needs to know how many people to expect.
      I personally think it's nice to know who's coming to meetups in my area before I go.

19. Thanks for all the help:D

20. if there's a thread give a heads up.

in my opinion, different meet ups, different places, different rules of in gagement. weird as that sounds, but i've found different areas and groups of people have different "rules" for their gatherings. and different places bring out another different set of etiquite, (if your in a resturant or public park with kids around don't make a nakeyd oll orgy on the table)

be repectful not only of your fellow doll onwer/enthusist. but also the others sharing the space with you. (this is a big problem for me at some other types of meets so sometimes is nice to have a reminder)

once you've been to a few you'll pick up rather quickly who's ok with what, adn what is expected at your own groups gatherings.

here at our meets in ohio everyone is pretty open about letting people touch and play with their dolls for the most part. we even know who in our group let's strangers and kids touch their dolls and which dolls for when poeple ask to see them in public. who doesn't want people to tocuh certain dolls and such.

but you go to a different meet up things could be really different.

one of our freinds moved to georgia and her first meet for her at her new home was very scarry. some people were offended she'd even ask to hold or touch any doll other than her own, and were even more offened by her dolls characters orentiation. she was used to a more open and sharing group setting. instead of the show and tell setting of the other group.

so my suggestion is to go and observe before anything else. if others are holding other peoples dolls or asking then, i'd assume it's ok to ask. if everyone is kinda clinging to their own i wouldn't even ask, cause they might get offended, (and in extreme cases bite your head off)

this isn't to deter you or sacre you, it's just more of a heads up kinda thing.