1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll meets and bringing the same (favourite) doll again and again

Jul 2, 2017

?
  1. Nobody wants to see the same boring doll all the time. Bring something different next time.

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  2. If you have to bring the same doll every time, could you at least bother to dress it differently?

11 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Bring whatever doll you want dressed however you want it dressed. We're just there to have fun!

190 vote(s)
    90.9%
  4. I could vote either way, really. I'm not sure.

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
    1. There are a lot of people out there who only own one or two dolls, and can only bring the same dolls to every meet...

Personally, I like seeing dolls, period. Even if it's the same ones every month, I only see them once a month (and often not even that since not everyone can go to every meet), so they're still kinda new to me. Also, I'm really in it for the socializing, and who brings what isn't a big thing. Dolls are secondary at doll meets lol

As for what I bring, I usually only drag my favorites over and over anyway. I might try to dress them differently, but several of my dolls don't really change all that much. If there's a theme to the meet, I do try to get them to conform to the theme (depending on what it is. For the beach theme I still brought all guys in suits - beach is not my thing), or bring dolls that might work with the theme as is. But I still bring my favorites, even if it's just for me. Your dolls should make you happy, don't worry about anyone else or any bizarre pressure to bring something new and different to every doll meet.

2. I try to bring someone that the meetup people haven't seen before, but sometimes I bring whoever I feel like bringing! Plus my dolls have their friends that they want to see, so I will decide that way, too. I don't really worry about whether people have seen my dolls before or not.

It's especially fun to bring a new style or sculpt of doll that other members haven't seen in person before.

Don't forget, if you always bring the same dolls, meetup people can often identify you by the dolls you carry! I love seeing a doll that I recognize in photos, because then I know who attended the meetup!

Linda S.
      galatia9

3. I always bring my favorite! But i dress her differently each time. :)

4. You should do what makes you happy-- yes, some people are always going to be eager to see what's new, be it a new doll, a new faceup, a new outfit... and there's nothing wrong with wanting to celebrate each other's new acquisitions and creative progress, of course. But there are also people who love seeing some 'familiar faces', too.

I'm very bad with names and faces, when it comes to people, especially when I only meet up with them every so often. I remember a few, I forget a lot more-- but someone who I always see with the same doll(s), I'll be able to recognize more easily (even if I'm hopeless at remembering names, I'll remember what I talked about with the owner of this or that doll). I love seeing new things, sure, but it makes me just as happy to see familiar ones.

5. I usually ask if there's any "special requests" to bring a certain one of my doll. Most of the time, it's "Yes, please bring Aidan!" - so I do, most of the time plus one of my smaller dolls. If they want Aidan they'll get aidan. :)

6. Speaking for local doll meets here, we have collectors with different collecting styles (at least one gal, once her doll has that perfect outfit, that's his outfit) and in different stages of collecting (omg I just started and I can't stop I already have three new dolls since last meet!)

Some people focus on photography. Others customize. Others like large clothes collections. There is always some cool bjd thing to talk about! New dolls get the most attention initially while everyone sizes up the product, but many dolls are handled at our meets.

The only time I doubted my collection was at the beginning when I only had two regular MSD gals and traveled to a meet where BIG SOOM LIMITEDS were swarming by the dozens. My dolls were ignored. But I started going to a different meet, and the combined collection of the group was much more varied and the people nice and I've never felt like I brought the "wrong" dolls.

7. Can I say that I go to meet ups so infrequently that I seriously wouldn't be able to tell if everyone was wearing the same thing as last time? lol.

As far as other people's dolls they can do what they want. If your dolls has a prefect outfit wear that. If you only have outfit wear that. Same doll? Great! I might remember you from last time.

However as much as I say that for other people I still worry about it. You see my group is mostly SDs owners and I collect mostly tinies. But when I did get my SD girl I was excited. "Yay, this is one that I can take to meet ups!" I thought. Of course then my thoughts went "Won't they tired of seeing her all the time?"

But for me the answer is no because I get to go to meet ups once or twice a year. lol

8. I've never been to a meet, but I chose the third option because shouldn't the priority be to have fun? Maybe someone only has one doll and will only have that one doll for a while. Maybe they are comfortable bringing that doll and not others for some reason. I don't really think there should be any expectation, unspoken or otherwise, for doll owners to bring a different doll each time they attend a meet up.

9. I'm in a similar boat, I have one doll. That's it. And I don't really want any other dolls at the moment, I just want to dote upon her with cute clothes and pretty hair...

Even though I bring her to every meet up, I try to dress her up differently, or at least change it from month to month.

10. My favorite doll came to most meets last year, and the first time I showed up without him (I opted to bring a couple of girls instead because I couldn't decide between them), people actually asked me where he was. Some dolls are fixtures at meets, and as long as you're enthusiastic about who you bring everyone else will be too. They're like old friends almost, when you get to see what they're wearing or their new faceup or just touch base with an owner and a familiar tiny resin face. I wouldn't stress over it too much. Just bring who you want to bring.

11. I definitely understand why people perceive elitism and other negative aspects at meetups. Some big meetups tend to be that way. My dolls are almost always the most ordinary ones at any meetup. They're not fantasy characters, and they wear everyday clothes (mostly). So they tend to get "ignored" too. But I wouldn't change my dolls for anyone, or for any meetup. I don't mind, because I love them the way they are, and more than anyone else does.

Linda S.
      galatia9

12. The poll choices are very funny. :lol: I would usually bring different dolls, on the theory that people would like to see variety. But I don't think it matters really. Sometimes it came down to who had an appropriate costume. ;)

13. I bring whichever dolls I feel like taking unless someone specifically asks me to bring a certain one that they want to see. I don't care who others bring either as it is about the fun and getting together with others who enjoy dolls too. I also don't care about what outfit a person dresses their doll in as that is their choice too. Meets should be about fun and not a competition to see who has the most beautiful, expensive or latest doll. Just enjoy!

14. I personally rotate dolls to bring and I always humor requests. I also tend to bring what's new to me at the time. I don't mind honestly what anyone brings. It's nice to see dolls in person and many collectors have their favorites. Meets are about sharing for me and catching up with people in person.

15. I probably shouldn't have voted since I've never attended a meet, but I think they should be about having fun and spending time with fellow collectors. I know it wouldn't bother me to see the same doll in the same outfit. I like familiar faces. :)

16. Thanks guys! I'm lucky that the few grumpy gusses that my local meet used to have have either moved away or just don't come to the meets anymore. No more elitism and dagger eyes. Yay! :P I agree that variety can be the spice of life, but I just know I'll be in love with my guy when I get him, so that's what that was about.

As for my centaur guy, I did a "debut" meet, of sorts, where I set up a fantasy-themed meet, telling people to bring any fantasy dolls they had or take any regular dolls and give them a fantasy flair. I also stipulated that if you didn't have anything fantasy-related, that's ok too. Bring what you had/who you liked. The theme wasn't mandatory, just encouraged.

There, I unboxed my boy. (I previously unboxed him to make sure all his parts were fine in case I needed to contact SOOM for issues. I just didn't string him and play with him yet.) We all had fun looking at his various parts, played with his slightly-too-large pastel rainbow wig, trying to see his tiny pastel rainbow eyes in his small head, and generally had fun. His carrying bag was designed to pack small and neat, meaning loose strung, so to carry him in that means I can't properly string him. I need to get a larger luggage case that can take him fully strung, then I can bring him around more easily.

I appreciate all the feedback! I think I'll try to get a variety of clothes for my new guy but otherwise just take him if I durned well feel like it and not care because, as many of you have said, we're there to see the dolls but we're much more there to see the people. :)

17. It's very interesting to see what everyone things about this! As for me, I'm very new to the hobby and am still looking for my first BJD. I know which one it will be though and I haven't really seen any other doll that I feel like I'll 'need' in the future. So I'd also only be able to bring one doll to a meet. I'd love to change outfits a lot though. It's encouraging to see that nobody minds!

18. I usually bring one or two of my favorites, we meet at a tea house and space is limited..... and I love to sew....so going to meets helps motivate me to sew them something new (I am kind of lazy sometimes) so I do try to make a new outfit each time I go, just for the fun of it

19. Sure it's fun to see new dolls just to see and experience more dolls but it really doesn't matter what doll someone chooses to bring or how they choose to dress their doll. I'm really shy in real life and barely leave my house so no meetups for me but if I did go it would be to talk to and spend time with fellow enthusiasts, not just to be entertained by looking at their dolls. Besides, some people only have one doll or no dolls yet. Anyone who snubs someone for bringing the same doll or having the doll wear the same outfit is not someone I'd want to associate with whether I was the one being snubbed or just an onlooker.

20. I voted for the third option. Your doll, your rules. I have three complete on-topic dolls, and while I love all three of them, Chloe is decidedly easier to carry and transport than Johnny and Alistair are (she's a Yo-SD, while they're both MSDs). That being said, I'd probably also bring a friend along, maybe one of my little off-topics or one of the boys to vary things a bit. There are ways to get around the one-doll Ruth if being in that Ruth bothers you. If it doesn't bug you, then no sweat! LOL

Tags: