1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Quirks According to Company?

Jul 3, 2006

1. My AR Little Fair boy stands perfectly well, even if I just plonk them down wherever, but they have this adorable way of standing where one hip will jut out slightly :D I think it's awesome as hell. We have HIDEOUS ammounts of trouble getting the AR Fair girl to stand, because she has a bad case of kicky-leg. That might just be her stringing though ^^;

The old DoC boy and the DoC girl body stand leaning very far back - they have their hips forwards, but their bodies like to lean back quite a bit sometimes. And, of course, bugger-all hand mobility and foot moblity means that a DoC girl doesn't stand well in heels and can only really clap XP

2. Well MNF Shiwoo is my only doll, but he has his quirks. o.o

I completely understand what people are saying about Luts legs... He will be standing perfectly and I'm about to take a picture when suddenly... *legs flies up and falls over* He has made me do a few .A. in the few days we've known each other...

This may just be his stringing, but his left wrist has full range of motion, but his right wrist is limited when bending in the direction of thumb to arm. When I first got him his right wrist wouldn't bend at all so i fiddled with it and at least now I can sort of get a cat hand pose...

He also always wants to look up and to the left... o.o And the joint between the top of his leg and his bum was backwards on one leg, but it fixed itself.

3. Souldoll has the wonkiest bodies ever. The torso joint is completely non-functional, I guess it's there to make stringing easier. The legs are really long and would make the doll a little tipsy if the ginormous ass wasn't there to counterbalance. But between the long legs and the ass they stand really well, they just can't slouch or look relaxed at all.

Serendipity Sharmin's body looks awful in photos but in person it is really beautiful (same with her face). The torso joint doesn't really work, like souldoll. I think the non-functional torso joint is at an odd angle for photography. Sharmin's knees bend way too far back when she stands, someone here said she was a really good stander but I disagree. It took some sueding and restringing to get my friend's sharmin to stand.
      The hands, like original DoC's hands, do not pose very well. They are also quite pointy and small, I don't like the sculpt much.

My Limwha toyou's torso is the most flexible of any doll I've ever played with. From photos, I'm guessing it's put together similar to the way narindoll's are. Her limbs can't hold acute angles very well, I think her resin is way too light to keep the limb from snapping when it is super-extended from the joint. Toyou's thigh joints are put together similarly to dollstown seola, where the ball is actually attached to the torso. One cannot draw in the leg as close to the chest as you could with a traditional thigh joint, but you can rotate the thighs. The unbroken sculpt of the lower torso is really, really nice. Because there is no joint there, this affords more detail in the hip bones and crotch. (her crotch doesn't look like a clam shell!)
      Toyou's hands are really amazing, unique and have so many interesting angles. They are very expressive.
      Toyou's legs are way too long which makes her quite wobbly and prone to falling over on her face. Despite this fault, she's an excellent stander.

My DoC's hand posability was awful before I bought her a pair of guardian hands. On the plus side, the new hands are sculpted really well. Probably the best out of the dolls I own.
      The DoC headcap is designed all wrong and makes the head very floppy and awkward to pose. (have you ever noticed DoCs always look down in photos?)
      DoCs have no armpits, the side of the chest bulges where there should be a dip to accommodate the arm. Thus, the arms want to be held away from the torso and the doll can look like they are perpetually doing the chicken dance.
      The torso has the exact opposite problem that Souldoll and Sharmin have. Souldoll and sharmin's torso joint fits inside itself exactly, allowing for no movement. The DoC torso doesn't fit inside itself at all, the top part just rests on the bottom and is only held together by string. This can make for a very floppy doll or a very stiff one depending on how it's strung.
      The DoC legs bow back too far when standing, similar to sharmin but not nearly as bad. The feet, like original DoC hands, don't move well. I really wish I could point Charlie's toes. She can't wear heels. This does make for easy standing, but I'd prefer more movement.

The SD10 oldskin knees are terrible. Juniper's are slightly modified but they are still pretty bad. They are too wide and ball shaped, they tend to spin around and wobble. This is the worst part of SD10 by far.
      I have the SD10 thighs which do not have the big round caps at the top, the upgraded design which is much more functional and better looking. Her thighs are still rather large, which I like, it gives her a very voluptuous appearance.
      The SD10 ankle and wrist joints are huge, very round and awkward. The SD10 hands can be replaced by SD13 (my SD10 is actually using Souldoll hands at the moment) but I'm not sure what to do about the ankles. The ankles can come in handy while standing though, it is useful to be able to easily shift the doll's weight. But, sometimes the ankles can be too slippery and ruin the standing pose.
      SD10s are really heavy and can be difficult to stand for this reason. I like the heaviness though, it adds a lot of realism to her posing and makes up for the less than adequate joint design.
      The SD10 B-02 torso (the one with the joint) seemed really flexible until I got my Toyou. I think B-02 is better than average, but Toyou is just exceptional.
      Oldskin SD10s are very bulky and girthy compared to other dolls. I understand the new SD10s are smaller.

My little Junior's leg joint isn't designed very well, and has to be strung a certain way to keep the legs from sproinging out in different directions. (but the CH dolls are strung this way by default, so you may never notice) His knee and elbow joints fit together perfectly, they do not click or lock annoyingly but they are not wobbly either. They also look very nice.
      His legs are very long, it looks a little odd on an otherwise very chubby and young looking boy. He stands really well, though.
      The wrists and ankles don't move very well, but it's much better than original DoC or sharmin. The hands are sculpted nicely.
      My doll's resin is very light and brittle. (the hook in the headcap for attaching the headcap with a rubber band snapped) I wish he were denser so his limbs would fall more naturally.
      The head doesn't pose too well by default but this can be changed with stringing. Mine has a headpiece from luts installed, this has helped him a lot.
      He looks very good bald but does not look good in a lot of wigs. I'm not sure if this is just Jupiter or a trait of most CH dolls.

Like SD10, Kid delf is very large compared to other MSD size dolls. He looks out of scale with smaller korean dolls. The torso doesn't move very well but is more flexible than Sharmin and Souldoll. The girl crotch looks like a clam shell.

Yeah, the design of the dolls really fascinates me and I have spent hours restringing mine. Sorry for the essay.

4. not all that secure unfortunately, at least in my experience..Sumiya's magnet popped out the first time I took his head off and tried to get it back on, and no glue has helped to keep it from popping as of yet +___+ It makes putting the headcap on a real pain...but I'm not sure if there are more people who have that problem so if it's a real quirk, or if it's just me.

5. OT, but- wow, i'm so glad there are so many responses!!! this really helps in choosing a body!! :D

6. My Elfdoll Wu as very round thighs, and it's hard to get him to sit up straight because he rocks backward on them xD

7. My Anais has the rubberband, and Ushiwaka has the magnet. Raouken, I hear you. : O

The magnet is nice, but the rubberband isn't too bad either. Ushiwaka's magnet actually annoys me at times, because it doesn't always stay glued down through trying to get into his head.

But I'm not sure if you can choose based on the best body, because you have to worry about the resin matching, and if the head will be in proportion to the body.

8. The "kickiness" that CP Delf and MNF bods are notorious for can be solved a couple of ways... You can suede the leg joints, wire the legs, or loosen the doll's stringing... Or a combination of all three, which is what I do with all of my guys. ^_^

I've noticed that my MNFs arms have a bad habit of turning around to odd angles. I blame the lack of the shoulder cup that full-sized Delf bods have. :P

As other shave mentioned, Dollshe guys do the infamous "belly pop", and they just love to slouch. Getting a Hound to stand up straight is well-nigh impossible unless you give him an internal armature. Their knees are also a little funky, and even unsueded I've noticed Seimei's "sticking" sometimes. (ie: The top of the double joint will rotate in it's socket, but the bottom won't.) His head is also nearly impossible to turn... but I blame that on his (very) tight stringing and the head-connection mechanism.

9. My ISMY stands just fine, but he does not want to sit up straight, he goes forward or all the way back. also his head is puny. My MSD on the other hand has a melon head. My old Notdolls had crazy headcaps that had to be held on with tape. Not so the new ones. I agree with a previous poster, the most problem free is my Dollmore Asha.

10. I have heard that Elfdoll (tinies, anyway) are often "kicky", and my Adel has certainly exhibited that in spades!

11. The fact that Souldoll boys can't slouch makes it so that they can stand really well. Marlowe can stand up on uneven surfaces, carpet, and he can even balance on my bed. o.o

The thing I have the most trouble with Souldoll bodies, however, is that the wrists and ankles tend to pop around a lot and simply refuse to hold most poses. My boy's head also doesn't hold any poses well, and he can't really look up. Whenever I try to pose him with his arms out, they tend to spring back towards his body, often resulting in a rather awkward pose which looks as though he's grabbing his crotch... :blush

In general, though he has a really beautiful sculpt. Very muscly. :drool

12. These reviews are very helpful! Here are mine:

Secretdoll Yomo can't sit unsupported on a flat surface. She falls onto her back. She can stand pretty easily though. Her torso joint only moves one way. It turns to the side but it doesn't tilt at all. Her hands have the best mobility of any dolls I've seen and are detailed and expressive. Her ankle mobility is really good too. Her body is curvy, with a small bust and hips. Because of her hips, pants that fit other minis don't always fit her. I wish she could tilt her head back a bit more. Last I checked, Yomo comes with face-up, glass eyes, wig and nightgown set. There is also a new less mature looking Yomo body. I have the original mature bodied Yomo.

Dollstown Seola is a super poser. You can see all the cool poses on the Dollstown website. I especially love that she can sit with her legs crossed, sit on her knees, or with her legs bent and to one side. She can tilt her head back farther than some other minis I've seen. She has two torso joints and can tilt very far forward and backward and to the side. The only problem she has is standing. Her knees tend to buckle. Also, she has very small narrow feet. Her thigh joints spin around pretty easily but I'd rather put up with that than a doll that didn't pose as well. I should mention that she is taller than most minis (I think she's 48 cm instead of 42) so it may be hard to find another head that will fit. She comes with mystic eyes but you can opt not to get them and pay a lower price. Face-up is $30 extra.

Neither can hold their hands close to their face but they might if they were wired. Both come with seams already sanded.

13. Elfdoll Ryung has wobbly ankles and the earlier dolls with arch back giving the "proud boobie" pose. With sueding my girl can now stand on her own.

Souldoll Clara is awesome. Great posing, stands on her own w/o sueding and can cross her legs.

14. The Narae body i have sorta has this thing with her arms that automatically want to pop to a 'robot arm' sorta pose.

I'm not sure how to describe it. XD

15. yeah i know ^_^ resin matching really doesn't bother me though my biggest issue is the head size and posing. i've heard that dream of doll has smaller heads, and the yders i've seen (<-- bought a yder head) thier heads are pretty small too. so thats what i'm leaning towards. i dunno. i still have to think on it and attempt to figure this out :)

16. Someone may have mentioned some of these already, I didn't read everything, but... these are my observances, all Volks as that's all I own, sorry.

Old resin SD13 boy body: They sit knock-kneed. Depending on your preference, this can be cute. (It works for me. ^^) Also when they stand, often their knees sort of bend backwards so it can look a bit unnatural.

1st Pureskin SD13 boy body: (this is the one only Shirou and a few others came with) due to the 'lock' position for sitting upright not being strong enough, they have a tendency to sometimes randomly throw themselves backwards into a lying down position when you leave them sitting around. Also mine would randomly collapse while standing, but I think he wasn't strung right.

'real knees' pureskin SD13 boy body: actually, I have no real quirks or issues to note with this body. Always tends to do exactly what I want it to.

pureskin SD10 boy body: sits with his legs too far apart. I'm not sure what the issue is, but he just can't put his knees together. I've seen someone selling an altered one that can put its knees together on Y!JA, so I know it can be fixed, but... :P Other than that, I have no issues with it.

YoSD: they have a tendency to tilt slightly to the left, both when sitting and standing. I'm not sure if this is just me, but a friend of mine who has a YoSD noted the same thing when we were posing them together. Also, YoSDs are the only BJD I've owned who I can easily stand on one leg. Once standing that way, they're quite stable. I can even get mine to stand on one leg while wearing geta. And for a drawback, they can't tilt their head back very far. :P I've been contemplating modifying the head to help fix this, but not sure if it's possibly due to the position of the S-hook.

17. My DoC is a guardian boy, as such his magnetically attached headcap means he has pretty good head movement and posing.

However... he hates standing. I know it's just mine, but he randomly face plants onto whatever he's standing on. His body also has a funny little back ridge if you don't want him sitting with a sway back, which all DoC bodies appear to have. Quirk of the brand.

Hand and foot movement very limited.

18. hmmm off the top of my head:
      my DOT boy had rather loose legs that needed to be tightened after only a month. also one of his headcap magnets popped out early on in the peice but I haven't tried to put it back yet.

the one thing I don't like about his sculpt asthetically is his ankle joint which lookes very fat and isn't graceful. but other than that I love him to bits =)

19. Yeah, her arms want to go to a 90 degree 'robot' angle at all times X3

20. i recently bought a b&g doll, and found that he is my "rigor mortis" doll. so incredibly stiff.

his head has almost 0% up/down motion as well.