1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Scale Size and Ages?

Jan 28, 2012

1. Since I started with a SD (60cm) that was supposed to be about 16 years old, the other dolls kind of followed her age depending on scale. My other SD is also 16, my 1/4 are around 12years old, my 70cm doll and my IH EID are in their twenties. My 1/6 doll doesn't really fit in there, but she also isn't human, as is my 1/12 doll. The other two 1/12 are anthros, so there it doesn't really matter.
      But that's just because I started that way. I often see dolls that could be a lot older or younger than my dolls, although they are the same size.

2. Uhhh for 70cm depends on the 70cm doll?
      One of my planned ones is a 40 year old man, another is 34, another is ageless but seemingly about 28. So... a range from 30-40 for me, I guess...

My 1/3s are in their twenties to thirties so far.

1/4 my currently owned ones are meant to be ageless but seemingly around 14-16, but out of planned ones, anywhere it hikes up to about their mid-twenties

my only 1/6 is... uhh... 11-12?

both my 1/12s are meant to be fairies so... a lot older than their height xD; which relfects in their dresscode and way they style their hair. > 3< they're tiny ladies in their mid-thirties at best.

3. I'm kinda glad to see there's a lot of varying opinion. My biggest concern was with a doll family specifically going to interact with each other (in photostory or just story wise) and their size difference wouldn't deflect their age :3

But of course the maturity of the sculpt is the biggest factor. I've seen really mature MSDs and theres full adult scale tinys too somewhere (thinking of inkling) but in general I think everyone agrees a human tiny could never be seen as a teenager X3

4. My dolls don't have ages. I tend to group dolls into child/not-child categories, and nothing more than that. I look at the body itself and face sculpt rather than height/scale to determine where they fit into. My dolls aren't character dolls, so I don't really feel compelled to age them either way. I don't really group anthros into any particular age category.

5. Looooool I don't even know \o/ I only really like minis, but I have one who's 19, one who's 12, one who's 23, one who's 14~ I don't even care man

Obviously since tinies tend to look like kids I'd be hard pressed to get a 20 year old tiny, but if it had adult proportions sure thang. A very young SD might throw me off, but I don't really like SD's so whatevs XD

6. This is kinda how I do it. My dolls aren't in a set "family" grouping. They're just my pretty dolls. The doll is assigned an age for clothing purposes based on how it looks, not height. My SD girl is about the same age as my Iple mini even though the SD is way taller, but the JID is more mature overall. I just think they both look teen so they're teens. My Iple EID girl is going to be an adult. Sure she's a big doll, but her body and face says "adult" in a way my SD girl's doesn't. Similarly, my Iple tiny is probably about 6 or 7, but the Volks Yo girl I'm getting is going to be in the 13-16 range. Her face *looks* like a chibified teen so that's how she's going to be styled even though she's tiny.

7. Your 1/3 scale?
      Anywhere between 15-40 really. Maybe older. It depends so much on their look. There is so many kinds of SDs that looks different from each other. Like Luts Delf and Volks can easily pull of the innocent and young look and Dollshe and Iplehouse can pull of the grown up look.

1/4 scale?
      Depens on if their immature or mature. Immature = 10-13, mature 15-20.

1/6 scale?
      4-7.

1/12 scale?
      Ageless, but still children.

8. The mold is in charge of the age for me, not the size. I want to buy a SD doll who will be the same age as one of my MSD boys just because the mold looks so young. However, I see SDs in the age of 15+ and MSDs can be 10+ I would certainly not give a childlike MSD the age of 30 or an old looking SD the age of 10. Unless there's a story behind it but I'm more realistic(no fantasy or abnormal stories) so it doesn't work for me ^^;;

9. When I first started collecting, I tried very hard to only buy dolls that fit in with my basic family group, but as new and wonderful dolls have appeared through the years, I abandoned that plan. Now I have just about every size doll except for the ones that are over 70cm, and group them according to scale and the way they look. Basically, the big ones are adults of varying ages, the mini sizes are teens, and the small ones are children. I have a few that are in a scale by themselves, and those are the mature minis. I keep them separate from my basic group of adults, teens, and children, because they just don't fit in, mainly due to the size of their heads and mature bodies. I also have separate groups of fantasy creatures, anthros of various sizes, and miniature dolls that are tiny enough to fit in dollhouses.

I buy dolls because they appeal to me in some way, and when they arrive, I am sometimes surprised. I bought a doll that I thought would be a sister to the young teen mini girl I already had, but when she arrived, her head was so small and her body proportions were so different, I put her in the mature mini group. I do lots of research before buying, but even with owner comparison photos, it is sometimes difficult to know exactly how a doll will look in person. I seem to have better luck with not being disappointed by size and appearance if I am a bit more flexible and just concentrate on buying faces I love instead of being obsessed so much by size.

10. I buy my dolls to work together, so the ages I've assigned...

DT Seola7/Elf Body (50cm) - 13
      DT Hannah/ CH Ai Body (55cm) - 15
      Irreal Ringo/Spiritdoll Elegance (56cm) - 17
      Planetdoll Riz/Roseanne (43cm) - 9
      Luts HDFs (26cm) - 3

Face-ups and clothing styles also play a part in the age of characters I believe.

11. I don't have (or will ever have a 1/3) so here are my plans:

1.5 PKF
      5 Yo-SD
      11-15 MNF
      13-29 MSD (regular or mature)
      30+ 50cm

But overall, I don't feel like I have to have perfect set ages and scales for my doll family. If I want to have a 900 year old vampire PKF, or a 66 year old MSD, I will. And I'll find a sculpt to match it.

12. For me, normal SD are arround 15-16y.o. And 65cm+ are adults (age Will vary depending on their face).
      But that is because so far I Always ended up putting All my dolls in the same story. So next to each others this is What they looked like :)

13. I only have two dolls right now, and their ages are a bit odd. My MSD is 15 and my PukiPuki's age depends on the photostory. When its a chilling at home story he's about 5 or 6, but if its intense and kinda scary he's in his early 20s. I don't have him do anything his body should not do. (Like sexual stuff) For my future dolls the 60cm one will be 18 and the 70cm will be late 20s.

14. Size doesn't really have anything to do with age for me. There are mature 27cm dolls with near Barbie proportions, and there are SD dolls that look like kids.

I have a 43cm that is 35. He's just a tiny man! I also have a 9 year old 40cm. His dad is 32 and 62cm, his stepdad is 22 and 60cm. Though my other 40cm girl is 21, just teeny character.

MOST of my dolls are SD and are between 18 and 40. Mature adults. MOST of my MSDs are preteens or teens, except for the 35 y/o and 24 y/o.

My Yo-SD size is technically not born yet in character, but will be used for the character from the time he's a year old til about 8.

My tiny (14cm) is a baby sprite but his actual age is unknown.

15. My scale is pretty similar to yours HoushiChan, although, I will admit that none of my dolls are over 20, since I am only 21 and I've always disliked having doll-characters that are older than me.

My 1/3 dolls vary, the youngest of them is 16, the oldest 20.
      My 1/4 dolls are typically between 14-16, so as you can see I have some overlap- my DM Judith Zinna is 16, and 45cm, and she will be paired with a 60cm doll who will also be 16. I don't think it matters much there. I feel like so many SD sized dolls have very young faces, so I can't see them as being say, 35 or something. My Lati boys look about 18-21 to me, and my DM Maunier looks younger (16) so I just go based on that. In middle school, I knew a boy who was 6'2". We were both 12, so I don't think relative height is that much of an issue. I go based on facial features. My Judith girl looks physically mature, with a mature face for a 45cm doll- thus she's older than the other MSDs.

I do not own any 70cm dolls as they are too big for me, and I don't currently have any tinies, but if I did they'd be between 30 and 40cm and 10-13 years of age. I don't want a doll younger than 10. Actually, I don't want a doll younger than 13, so chances are, I won't be getting a tiny any time soon.

16. Well I started with SDs so I put the ages of the other sizes in proportion with my SDs.

70cm: Very tall adults

SDs: (SD13-ish)16+ since people are either done growing by 18 or grow maybe 1-2 inches after that, I find it unrealistic to have MSDs as teenagers and SDs as adults, etc...

Short SD: (SD10, glorydoll,etc...) 12-14 ish

MSD: 5-8

1/6: 1-3

1/12: non human, fairy, etc...

Other people can do whatever they like, but for me it looks best when dolls are in realistic proportion to each other.

17. My 70cm I have always declared "ageless" but when I see others with similar sized dolls, I often visualize them in their mid-late 20s or so. My 2 1/3 dolls are are in their mid-late teens and my 1/4 is a pre-teen. But with 1/3 and 1/4 it really depends on the mold; sometimes they can look older or younger. 1/6 varies a lot, but I usually visualize them between 5-8-ish. Anything smaller than that I usually assume ageless.