1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll status in signatures, why do we do it?

Jan 1, 2012

1. Partially to show off, partially to keep track....but mostly b/c all of my dolls deserve repersentation. I can't just list a few or the newest, it's not fair! LOL

Also, if I'm selling something, I like to note it in case someone is interested and maybe looked over it in the MP.

2. I used to list dolls in my signature, but decided to keep it simple, and put them in my profile instead. This year, though, I also took the master list of my dolls out of my profile and put it in a folder on my desktop. I still have incoming dolls and my current wishlist in my profile. I like reading about other people's dolls, but think my profile looks neater without all those dolls cluttering it up. I also don't like to be reminded about how many I have amassed in the last 8 years.

3. I feel the same way.
      Also, I like seeing what dolls others have too. I think it's fun to see how many and what dolls other have.
      Especially for like people I might be seeing at a meetup or something, it's nice to feel you know a little about them.

Also, I'm one of those weirdos that likes making lists of my stuff, and the little icons (which I notice don't get used so much anymore now that there are so many companies out there) I think are neat.

4. i do it in case anyone wants to chat to me about any of the dolls i have already, i guess. then i put when i ordered a doll that hasn't arrived or layaway status, etc. to help myself keep track of it because i'd forget stuff if i didn't have something to remind me.

5. I actually like poking around people's blogs and Deviant Art photos..and I do look at MP links whenever someone has something I am interested in (which is almost anything) ;)

I need to update my own photos!

6. I started doing it because I found it helpful when other owners did it. Like if lets say I was in love with a certain doll and I saw in someone's signature that they had it I will usually go and look at their threads to see pictures of that doll. It sounds creeperish but it's simply a variety thing, I very rarely know I want a doll until I've seen all the possible combinations it can have. Even if I just come up with a box opening thread it still gives me a better feel for the doll.

7. I love reading people's sigs!
      I love getting their collection cliff notes and their combinations of dolls and the plans for more! That part especially :D :D

8. I like reading them. I like seeing what others are buying or what they have...I have fell in love with a lot of dolls snooping in peoples profile!

9. Whoops..double posted somehow?

10. I list my dolls since sometimes I refer to them by name and I know it's not always easy to know every mold on sight and what everyone else has. I sure can't!

And when I mention incoming dolls, well, I need to vent excitement somewhere. xD

11. I do it because someone else might have a doll like mine and might want to talk, and it's to keep track as well. I'm very forgetful, so I gotta keep track of my doll want list. xD

12. I think sharing your dolls with others is part of the hobby and knowing who owns who makes stuff interesting.

Also, when buying a new doll, it makes the research easier 'cause you can see if a certain member owns a doll that you're gonna buy. ^^ Since not all dolls have their own specific threads in the BJD database, it makes it easier for others to seach for owner pics. ^^

13. I think it's away of describing yourself in the terms of the hobby we are all discussing here:
      it shows your personal taste, your goals. I guess it's also a bit of a vanity thing (but not in a bad way).

Also, sometimes, people are referring to their dolls not by their company names, but by the names they gave them... it's easier if you have a cheat-sheet under their post ;)

14. I change my signature around. My 'staple' signature is snapshots of my dolls (which I badly need to update, as it only includes around 6 of my almost 30 dolls *_*). I have this for my own enjoyment, since I (obviously) consider all my dolls very pretty/handsome and enjoy looking at them.

Sometimes I'll have an additional line or two of text listing my incoming dolls, if I think it's 'notable' - for example, back when I was waiting on 6 dolls all at once, I had it noted in my signature just as a kind of 'holy crap, how crazy am I?' thing. I guess it was also a way of trying to grasp it myself - having always been a collector of heads and parts, I was used to having multiple 'dolls' coming home at once, but this was the first time I had multiple actual full dolls coming home.

I also use my signature to advertise dolls I'm selling, because I know a lot of people are like me, and don't browse the market often but have certain things they'd pounce on if they knew it was for sale.

Regarding general lists of incoming dolls, I keep a running tally in my profile, complete with 'X/Y payments made' notes and with separate categories for 'Planning', 'On Layaway', 'Fully Paid' and 'Shipping'. For me, categorising dolls in this way helps the process of buying them feel more 'real'. I buy almost all my dolls on very long layaway (generally 4-6 months), which means it's a very long time between that excited held-breath moment of clicking 'Order Now' and actually having the doll home to experience. Noting things like layaway payments being paid off lets me see how I'm progressing towards having a doll come home - I guess it's a bit similar to the saving counters people put in their signatures sometimes to track how close they are to affording a doll they want.

15. I mostly just put my savings status in my signature as a way to keep track of how far away from reaching the goal I am :sweat otherwise I'd constantly be on the company's website checking and reaching the price and shipping costs lol

16. I do it for another way to keep track of who's home, on the way, in planning or being wished for. I keep a lot of lists around because I'm just one of those types of people and this is another way for me to keep everything listed out. Of course, sometimes the list gets a little behind and then I need to update it to make it current again.

17. To keep track of everything! Plus a nice signature is always good to look at~ :)

18. I didn't do it until I saw this thread and thought "what a great idea." It reminds me of how far I have come and how far I still have to go every time I post. I like to be constantly reminded that I will EVENTUALLY save enough for my doll lol.

19. I do it because I like to show what I have. I'm very happy and privileged to have three dolls with a fourth on the way. I'm always so excited about a new doll, so I immediately add them to my signature when they're paid for. I know it is a bit show-offish of me, but these dolls make me so happy. Plus, I like to see what dolls other people have. I don't know why, but I do.

20. That's what I ended up doing, as well. It's been many, many moons since my crew was small enough to fit one of those photo-bars, so I just list them all on my profile. Since I don't have a Wish List any more, I end up using that space for the "Who am I waiting for?"-thing.

That leaves my signature space free for sillier things... Like Hodomur nursery rhymes. XD

(Somewhere off in a distant corner of the Marvel universe, a 7'-tall alien guy with a freaky-looking staff shakes his head and says something about "Never going to hear the end of that, am I?" :lol: )