1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Things or Dolls -- Ever Have A Dilemma?

May 11, 2010

1. I usually buy the dolls a heap of stuff when I first get them, then nothing for a while whilst I save for new dolls, then I get the new dolls their round of stuff and the old dolls their second round. If I need to buy stuff for me though, doll stuff gets sacrificed in order to buy actual dolls :P

2. I only have one doll at the moment but he already have 2 pairs of pants, 2 pairs of shirts, a jacket that still pending in the mail, a LE set outfit, and 3 pairs of shoes @_@ yes... I like to shop for clothes for him lol and thats not even mentioning how many pairs of eyes/wigs he has and I only had him for 2 months! gahhh >_< and I'm still planning on buying more clothes and maybe my second doll next year XD

I just prefer having (for now) one doll and spoiling him to my heart's content and then getting a second doll... I think they'll be happier with clothes on rather than having buddies but without any clothes on lolss

3. I want Nayumi to have so much stuff as I want but I also want another doll >3>...right now Nayumi has 1 hoodie, 1 skirt, 3 shoes, 2 whole outfit and a few dresses I made. I think I settle on that so I can buy another doll...have to save save save !=_=

4. This question of none importance to me. As I do not have the funds to buy a doll, I make one myself of Apoxie (no intention to cast, therefore offtopic, so will not show here). However, he will be extremely customizable with wings (hopefully click to his back by magnetics, as I want him to be able to show his upper body without holding straps), exchangeable ears (for human and other styles), and jointed hands.

Although I am still in the process of making, I am already about to make a wig for him. It may not yet be one of his styles, just to get a feeling for material, size, etc. So I do not yet know how many he will have.

As I have a little exquisite, expenive taste, I will also make the outfits for him. I am dreaming of a LOTR-style Elvish armor, so he will have one (with matching ears and eyes, of course). This certainly also means to make a sword. This will be a real challenge, as I never made one before.

However, I want him to have one or two "everyday" outfits, i.e. t-shirt/sweater, jeans (perhaps one pair black and one blue?), and one "business" suit. The other end of the range will be a biker outfit - helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves. This is managable for me. But where to get a motobike matching a 60 cm guy? This might pose a problem. The ones for little kids look a bit very childish.

Honestly, he will be to some extent a dresshorse. I can put all the styles on him my hubby would never ever agree to wear (he despises ties and business suits). But I can find nothing wrong with this.

I am also in the modelhorse hobby, where I found out that I am not that keen any longer on the horses, but that I love making outfits for the rider dolls. But these are tiny 20 cm. That's how I got into ABJDs, but can't afford at present. I am secretly saving for my dream boy - Iplehouse's Luo. Until then, this "replacement" will have to do.

Ah, and I will also make shoes. I love the challenge, and I already made beautiful riding boots for my little dolls. As I wanted these to be sturdy, they are all sewn. This is also I do not like with bought items - they are often glued. And I do not trust glue. Looks super in the beginning, but has a tendency to fall apart.

So you see, I am an outfit junkie. One guy is enough at present.

Of course he will have a bed to sleep in. He just can't sit up all the time, this is too much stress even for a big boy. And perhaps some books? Nowadays a manager also can't go without a laptop. You see, things to do for many years, it never gets boring.

5. Right now I'm mostly focusing on getting the dolls I want -- with one outfit each (so they're not running around naked) -- before I start to go crazy buying extra clothes and stuff, because with how long it took me to put that shirt on Raven, I'm not sure I'd want to go around changing everyone's clothes everyday anyway xD

6. Sometimes I do. Most of the time - I don't ^^;
      The reasons are very simple: I have a very limited list of dolls I'd like to buy, and a very specific stylistic preference, so not that many newcomers actually interest me. At the same time, I also have a good idea of what the character should look like, so most of the outfits offered just don't fit the idea.
      Result: I mostly buy 2-3 sets of clothes per doll, and very few dolls, so there is money left for accessories, too :)

7. My dolls can't have enough clothes.... Especially the wardrobe of my AOD girl is very big.
      Well, my Spiritdoll girls will compete with her right after the next dollmore grouporder x___X
      The only things that won't be changed and are fix on my dolls are their wigs and eyes.

There will be one doll though which won't get any extra clothes and stuff: my soon to be home Pipos Alice in Nightmare Dark Cheshire. I love him the way he is and I see no point in changing his appearance.

8. Lets see....

I spent like 600 on the doll 100 on her eyes and wig and face up so 700 total for just the doll

Ive spent like 300 in clothes... (oh nDoll, so pretty yet so spendy)

So right now it feels pretty half and half xD

9. I'd rather have fewer dolls, but with more accessories to give them. It makes me feel like I'm appreciating each doll just a little bit more. Not to say that having more dolls lessens your own personal appreciation for them, its is just how it works best for me.

10. Mm... Yeah, I get this a little. Quinn isn't really so into clothes, so he only has one pair of jeans and shoes with a few t-shirts he can wear, although he usually sticks to one certain combination.
      Jasper has quite a lot of stuff, although I always want something else for her! :P Jehn doen't actually have any clothes of her own, yet she still has the most clothes. (Ha, that is completely confusing. What I mean is, I bought her secondhand and she came with clothes. She also borrows Jasper's clothes. So, although she can wear the most clothes, she owns nothing that I have specifically gone out and bought for her)
      As for my incoming Pukifee, she'll have two outfits when she arrives, but one is a Halloween costume, so I guess she'll only wear that once a year. D:
      I've promised myself no more dolls until 2012 anyway, but I guess I'd like to get my current dolls sorted before adding any more into the mix. I want to get Quinn a really nice suit set, Jasper wants a whole bunch of Nine9 Style clothing, as does Jehn (I think). Jehn needs a whole new wardrobe as the things she has now aren't really the style I imagined for her and I want to get my incoming Pukifee a few new cute dresses and hats. :3
      So... Yeah. I refuse to buy anymore dolls until I've accomplished this! :P

11. Have you ever had this thought (without acting on it)?

Maybe. I guess there's a balance between the two.

I really want to have a larger doll, as well as a Puki. But right now, I have a 43cm (MSD-sized) doll. I want them to each have some clothes, like winter coats, bathing suits - seasonal stuff, for the most part. I'm starting to sew things, so I think giving them everyday wear is probably no issue.

But as much as I'd like to only have one doll, I think I'd be more into having one doll of particular sizes - like one Puki, and one 60cm, one 70cm...

Is this a source of anxiety for you? In other words, is it a worry that comes up often? Or do you feel bad buying another doll when your existing dolls don't have as many things as you'd like?

It sort of was when I was really into Build-A-Bears. It went from a full outfit with shoes, to ones without shoes, to one outfit, to no outfits. I bought a really inexpensive Dollmore dress, and one pair of shoes for my doll. She's not wearing the shoes now, since it's hard for her to stand in them, but you get the idea. I don't want things to go the way of B-A-B.

Do you have a character doll who only has one outfit/look, and so therefore you don't feel as if you have to/want to get the doll more clothing items, etc.? Conversely, is your character doll a clotheshorse? XD Is it just that one, or is it all of them?

I could see sticking to one or two outfits for a character-based doll. My doll, I think, is going to wear cute girly things, being that she's supposed to be 10.

For those without character dolls, are clothes and doll things the main reason why you got a doll in the first place?

They might have been a factor to a minimal extent (have you seen the awesomeness of nine9style clothes?!:fangirl:) I did pick Dollmore due to the fact that they have a lot of clothes, and the only way to guarantee a proper fit is to buy a doll similar to the one's modeling them, thus I bought a DM Kid Flocke.

But that wasn't the root of my decision.

12. I have this delima, often! However, my delima mostly spawns from a crafters standpoint, when I see an outfit that is inexpensive, it is generally relativly simple, and I say to myself "I shouldn't waste my money, I can make that."

and then I don't bother to make it.

then I see outfits at price points over a hundred dollars that are amazing and cool and interesting and I say to myself "gee, I'd like that, but I could buy a whole new doll for that much!"

So I buy a new doll.

and they are naked ;_;

13. I was just thinking about this the other day. I planned to start out with one doll and just buy everything I wanted for her, clothes, accessories...etc. But then I ended up buying another doll, then another, then another... Now my dolls are for the most part, wigless and nekkid. lol I think I need to stop buying dolls and concentrate on the ones I have! But all the clothes I want for my girls are so expensive... it gets a little overwhelming. :-P I think it's almost easier to just think about buying new dolls than stuff for the ones I already have. But I'm a pretty bad shopaholic so when it comes to priorities, my purchase history is skewed. I buy stuff I want when I see it, so that doesn't help. By the time I'm planning on settling down on an outfit, I find I've spent the money on something else. :-/

14. Heh, I'm having this problem more now than ever before! It's noticing how the little things add up, like tattoos for one doll, a head (who will soon need a body) that I'm searching for clothes for already. The problem is when you go to the MP just to browse, even for a doll that hasn't made it home yet and it can be baaad. >.< I'm already buying for the Puki I just ordered, since I like them to at least have one outfit, eyes a wig and shoes preferrably before they arrive. But when I have my Afi and Karsh I'm taking a looong hiatus from doll buying, other than a couple bodies.

Funny how character's develop their own sense of style even more over time. My T.Too used to just have 'blue' for clothes, but now it's blue semi-formal casual wear for him. This can make it either harder or easier to find stuff, but I'm usually tempted by something either way.

15. *raises hand* i'm also going through this. i have some spending money around and i can either buy my dream doll (he's not rare) or spoil my MSD's...in the past i tend to get the new doll and then worry that they have nothing to wear, so i think i'm going to wait a while this time so i can get both!

16. In general it's more important to me to complete my dolls' looks instead of buying more and more dolls but no clothes / other accessories they need.
      Sometimes when I look at what I just spent on new wigs and eyes etc. though I get this 'Dang .. you could have bought a tiny for that.' feeling and regret it .. until the things get here and make me happy again.

I just like spoiling the boys more, me thinks.

17. I'll admit, spending all the money I have saved up for my next doll on stuff for my current doll is ridiculously tempting. I made a commitment to get this doll though... so I'm gonna stick to it. Even if it's hard.....

18. I only have one doll and I would spoil the crap out of her if I could, but alas, I have no money at the moment. :/
      I'll probably stock up on things to where I'm happy, and then start saving for another doll.

19. I don't have too much of a dilemma, seeing as I'm essentially broke due to school. ^^; However, given that my girl is very curvy and therefore rather difficult to fit, I've already started making things for her instead. I'm a bit of a DIY addict, so having a guinea pig of sorts for projects was one of the things that drew me into this hobby in the first place. I think since I'm doing a lot of thrift-store-find cannibalization, I'm probably saving money too.

So, once I'm out of school and have a job that actually gives me earth monies, I'll probably put my money towards new dolls, since they're something that's probably going to stay outside my own skill set for quite some time to come, and just make them clothes and stuff since I want to do that anyway.

20. Hrm...I don't really have a dilemma with this. I personally prefer to buy more things for just one or two dolls. :sweat
      I like to spoil just like one or two, because I don't want to neglect anyone. :sweat

So....I mostly just buy accessories. :) Either that or make them. ^^