1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Things or Dolls -- Ever Have A Dilemma?

May 11, 2010

1. Recently I've been thinking that it might be more fun for some people to have fewer dolls with more things for the dolls they have than more dolls themselves (with say, one outfit each, or maybe even less!). It might also be an issue for people who say 'I will only spend x amount of money each (insert time interval here) on my dolls'.
      Have you ever had this thought (without acting on it)?

I wouldn't like to have a lot of naked dolls lying about. The outfits and wigs and shoes... and even accessories and props are very important to me. The dolls themselves are more important, of course, but I'd buy them first only if I had to--if an opportunity came up or a buying period--something that I could not refuse! But I would try to keep from buying more dolls until I at least could clothe my other dolls nicely first. I really don't NEED a lot of dolls. One or two with lots of great doll items would be perfect... but I keep seeing more dolls I have to have... but I'd like them to have nice things with them. If I couldn't do that for them eventually, I think I'd definitely have to stop buying dolls until I could buy doll things and catch up...

Have you sold dolls to get money for doll things for your remaining dolls? Was it because of the aforementioned budgeting method, or because you felt that you shouldn't put 'new money' into the hobby?
      No. I probably should sell things to get more money... probably not dolls, but other things... And I should cut down my doll/doll-things spending... but I think I will always put some 'new money' into the hobby. I just don't want to spent TONS of 'new money'...

Is this a source of anxiety for you? In other words, is it a worry that comes up often? Or do you feel bad buying another doll when your existing dolls don't have as many things as you'd like?
      Money and spending overall, is a worry. And yes, I do feel bad about buying a doll when my other dolls need things, but I know I will eventually get around to finding things for them. Sometimes it takes time to find the right items anyway. Or to make the right items... I don't mind waiting...

Do you have a character doll who only has one outfit/look, and so therefore you don't feel as if you have to/want to get the doll more clothing items, etc.? Conversely, is your character doll a clotheshorse? XD Is it just that one, or is it all of them?
      Not exactly character dolls, but a few dolls have preferred outfits... Mostly because I can't find something I like better for them! But most of my dolls are total clotheshorses!!! But I love doll outfits, so that is me making them be clotheshorses! :D

For those without character dolls, are clothes and doll things the main reason why you got a doll in the first place?
      Doll things (clothes, wigs, shoes) are VERY important! I just love them!!!!! I couldn't wait to have a doll so I could buy those fantastic boots and outfits...!!! :D

Also, if there's already a thread like this, ye point me where the winds blow! (Piratespeak, what?)
      aaarrgh! :apirate:

I love the dolls, but the doll things that go with them are almost as important to me. They are part of the whole customization-thing you can do with BJDs... It adds to the experience for me. I can sort of see the point of having dolls without the outfits and such... they are beautiful without clothes! But the things that go with them are just SO AMAZING... I just adore them all! So, yes, I think if I had to choose, I think I would try and spend my saved money on nice doll items for my doll over getting a new doll.

2. So then buying more clothes vs buying more dolls really depends on whether your doll family is complete, isn't it?

When I first got into the hobby, I baulked at buying so many clothes, and looked up nothing but dolls, dolls, dolls. But when my wishlist got to 51 and I couldn't remember 90 percent of them, I drew the line. I started getting rid of dolls I didn't love enough to play with or spend so much on, and now I've got four I want.

So now I like to look at clothes for them. I suppose since I'm looking for little minions in my BJDs instead of just pretty statues or character shells, I'd much rather a few dolls and more stuff than lots of dolls and very little clothing. Doll stuff I can afford, but dolls I can't. It's a lot less stressful when you've only got four to think about, instead of say 10 or 20.

3. I have five dolls, and they all have some clothes. For me, the main thing is that only one of my dolls (until recently) had non-homemade clothes. And the non-handmade ones were gifts from people. So all my dolls have a few pieces each, but they are all homemade. I really want to afford more dolly things from the interwebs of awesome, but I just can't do it on my current budget. Which is a shame, but not much I can do really. It makes me pleased that my mother taught me how to sew and got me a free sewing machine!

4. I agree with you, for me two dolls would be the max and just buy a crap load of clothes and stuff for them.

5. I only have one doll, technically I dont have her yet, but already I am bulking up her clothing. I know what I want her style to be so I dont have the one outfit problem, though I am sure I will find that one outfit she hardly ever comes out of....I fear this problem though, the problem of having to sell some of my stuff to get more dolls or vise versa in the long run.

6. My collection has pretty much stabilised, as it were; I don't feel the constant need to get more dolls, and what few additions do come along are quite spaced apart. I have enough spare wigs, eyes and clothes that any new doll will be pretty well outfitted upon arrival.

Funds for clothes and accessories aren't much of an issue either; I make nearly all of my dolls' clothing myself, and if I want a particular outfit for any given doll then it doesn't take me long to make it - and as an adult woman with my own income, I can certainly spring for new footwear or wigs should I feel the need. So a budget doesn't really come into it at all; certainly never the question of "doll or accessories". No dilemma for me at all.

7. I have 2 dolls at the moment and one on layaway. They are a yosd, puki puki, and an msd. I think they maybe all the dolls I will get. I would like to buy more outfits, wigs, etc. for them. However...there is this 70cm boy....... *lol*

8. Ooh! I like this topic!

Have you ever had this thought (without acting on it)?
      Yes. I have two (soon to be three!) dolls, and while I'm on the job hunt, I keep saying things like "the first thing I'll save up for is a new doll!" and then say "the first thing I'll save up for is a clothes-buying binge!" and I constantly war the two. Clothes need to come first, but I can't help but strongly desire the next two dolls on my list!

Have you sold dolls to get money for doll things for your remaining dolls? Was it because of the aforementioned budgeting method, or because you felt that you shouldn't put 'new money' into the hobby?
      No, but I can totally see why someone would do this, particularly if they are not terribly attached to the doll they are selling. I think the urge to want and want and want is very prevalent in this hobby (not that I don't do it myself!). It can take away from appreciating the dolls a person already owns. My boyfriend and I plan to have a huge collection, but we're determined to take it slow and make sure we're ready for them as far as clothes go--especially those pesky, pricey shoes.

Is this a source of anxiety for you? In other words, is it a worry that comes up often? Or do you feel bad buying another doll when your existing dolls don't have as many things as you'd like?
      I don't feel guilty with my incoming doll because my boys are all similar in size and style, but I am very aware that the wardrobe I only just built up to an acceptable size has to be split between three dolls and not two. I'm going to have to jump in on a group order sooner or later for some clothes. Thankfully they have jackets and jeans on the way. Jeans are something I stress about.

Do you have a character doll who only has one outfit/look, and so therefore you don't feel as if you have to/want to get the doll more clothing items, etc.? Conversely, is your character doll a clotheshorse? XD Is it just that one, or is it all of them?
      All my boys are "character" dolls, but they're very interpretational and are AU to their original source. They're typical teenagers. They wear jeans and t shirts, so I have lots of room to play with fashion, as long as it's street clothes (which is what I prefer anyway). I want them to have a bunch of outfits, so it's nice that they can share everything.

9. Ohh, getting clothing and stuff for my dolls has always been more important than collecting dolls! I want all my beauties to have a huge variety of clothing, wigs, and styles. I also have a very low Doll Tolerance Limit (in the single digits... yes...), so it's easy for me to ignore the resin wishlist and just focus on the ones at home. My MSD girl is accumulating a wardrobe that I'm now pleased with -- and while she (I?) will never have a wardrobe that completely satisfies my (her?) needs, my SD girl still doesn't have a well-developed style. So it's time for me to spoil her silly!

10. Have you ever had this thought (without acting on it)? Yes *guilt*

Have you sold dolls to get money for doll things for your remaining dolls? Was it because of the aforementioned budgeting method, or because you felt that you shouldn't put 'new money' into the hobby? I've never sold a doll but I've sold other stuff.

Is this a source of anxiety for you? In other words, is it a worry that comes up often? Or do you feel bad buying another doll when your existing dolls don't have as many things as you'd like? My dolls don't own very much. I tend to find a style/outfit I like and leave it as is.

Do you have a character doll who only has one outfit/look, and so therefore you don't feel as if you have to/want to get the doll more clothing items, etc.? Conversely, is your character doll a clotheshorse? XD Is it just that one, or is it all of them? None of my dolls are character dolls. I just dress them the way I please and it tends to stick.