1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll undergarments a necessity?

Dec 1, 2016

1. I've been shopping around for clothes for my first doll and it feels like the only clothes that I like for him are undies! Obviously he'll get real clothes too, but it's shaping up to look like he'll have quite the collection of cute undies ^-^ -- so I guess underwear is not only personal preference, but also depends on the personality of the doll!

2. On dolls, every little bit of clothing adds more bulk to the overall outfit. For something like a flowing dress, you probably won't have much of an issue with your doll wearing undergarments, and honestly, it might actually be preferable if the dress seems to have a mind of its own. For tighter outfits, I don't consider it a necessity at all. Especially with frillier undergarments, the overall silhouette might look off with undergarments (bumpiness that would be fine on a 1:1 scale is much more noticeable the smaller you go).

3. Anyhow it's not necessary for me. Only one of my doll come with a underwear.

4. I don't think underwear is a necessity for the sake of having underwear, however there are a lot of really beautiful lingerie sets out there (that are better than clothes)

A particular example that I like is Little Monica's 1-in-the-world "Sophie - The Queen" set. Lol. Ahem.

5. I don't have any, but I want some. My girl's favorite skirt tends to ride up...and I would definitely prefer for her to have underwear since the skirt is rather short.

6. I always buy white undergarments/body suits for my dolls. The dye from fabrics often transfers onto resin and as these dolls are so expensive i'm not going to risk putting on clothes without them unless the dress/clothing is white. I think they are an excellent investment, it's easy to notice if colour is bleeding onto them and then they can just be washed. This is better than marking the resin. I only pick white undergarments that cover areas of the body that will be covered by the clothes. I've found getting decent body stockings for 1/6 sized BJD's is tricky. A white body stocking that covers the legs is handy though because if the legs are showing they just look like they are wearing thick tights.

7. Since I've only got two complete SD-sized dolls (+six heads XD), I try to be extra careful with their bodies. I use white tights instead of underwear to keep the dye from their jeans from rubbing or soaking. It also helps keep their feet clean.

I suppose I'm a bit OC like that but I've washed this one particular pair of jeans just to see how much dye would bleed off and suffice to say...it was a lot. So just to be safe, I use the tights. I have a Ringdoll and the tights also keep my guy's *ehem* parts in its proper place. Lol.

8. they're like barbie, underwear not needed lol

9. Its not necessary but I just like the look/thought of them to have underwear under their clothes.
      I also like if for example they are sitting down and their trousers..pants wherever you're reading this from comes down a little you can see the underwear and not their bums hahahah xD
      And when my girl is wearing skirts even though they maybe long skirts I just think it looks nicer haha xD

10. I defenitly will make/buy them some underware.
      Especialy because my dolls are male .......
      As a female I feel bad if I have such masculine male dolls with no undies :eusa_naug
      I hope that sounds not to wird....I can also not describe why I feel that way....:doh

11. I've actually been debating whether or not to buy underwear sets for my girls. On the one hand my 2 msd girls are wearing leggings so I feel like they don't need underwear but it would be cute.

My yosd girl actually does need underwear as she's wearing a shortish dress and no tights/leggings!

12. I think underwears good when wearing skirts or dresses or if you cant afford clothes as i found out a brand called generic sells really really cheap doll clothes

13. Unless they have tights on, my girls always wear briefs. It sounds crazy, but I feel uncomfortable if they dress in short skirts and don't wear any undies. ^^'

14. Anyone in pants goes comando, anyone in a skirt has undies .... well, I just got a new girl in and I ran out of undies, but she has a longer skirt so she will be okay until I can order some for her. :sweat

15. I began more with traditional undies, but due to growing issues with staining, most of my dolls are wearing protective tights and body suits beneath their clothes as opposed to briefs or panties. So those are their more functional underwear, as opposed to aesthetic undies. And I definitely consider that kind of underwear very necessary!

If any doll was going to be in a photoshoot though where their underwear should 'appropriately' show for the sake of 'realism', then they would wear undies. I am also amused that some of my boys have an odd preference for pink or frilly girl panties, while others will only wear boy briefs.

I also prefer them having something under their clothes, especially considering most of the doll meets I go to are in a doll shop, where usually a couple of my dolls end up getting undressed to try on clothes from the shop. What can I say, except I like to give my dollies a little bit of dignity! :P

16. I have underwear on most of my other off-topic dolls (Pullips, etc.) that aren't anthros, and I really enjoy it because underwear is so fun to make. I think with BJDs, I would have even less of a problem with underwear because most of my dolls are 1/3 scale. I had an off-topic 1/4 BJD with a bra and underwear, but I've since sold her.

Hopefully, once I start sewing clothes for my dolls (the only doll with clothes and undergarments is Pip, who is mostly complete), I will also make some undies--I think they are so fun! (Perhaps it's because I don't really like really delicate, light fabrics--I go for structure and drape.)

17. I love sewing underwear.

.......the problem is some of the clothes I own were tailored for a doll to either have no underwear or modern form fitting underwear and my favorite underwear is a 1920s union suit style underwear.

So my dolls have underwear but not all of them wear underwear under their clothes.

I also have goofy heart-print underwear that I custom printed.

18. I think it all comes down to preference. Obviously, as dolls, they don't care if they have underwear or not! For me it depends on the outfit. If they're wearing a dress, a skirt, or low slung pants, they get underwear. If they're in something skin tight, I'll usually ditch the undies because I don't like a visible panty line.

19. With mine it depends on the pseriod I'm dressing them in. Moders stuff they wear knickers/pants. If it doesn't show through their outer clothes then the girls old enough to have need for them wear a bra - but mostly not becuase they generally do show through outer clothing, and resin is self-supporting so the bra isn't needed to hold anything up and in place anyway.

For earlier periods, they have period appropriate underwear - long drawers, split crotch, or seperate-leg drawers, etc. for Edwardian and Victorian, plus a shift/chemise of some sort. Most of these periods would have needed corsets too - but again, resin doesn't squish, so corsets are pointless and just add bulk to the outer clothing.

For earleir periods - 16th througth 18th Centuries the corset would smooth the line from the fullness of bust down to to the waist (or a stiffened panel at the front at least) for a more period silhouette, but I'd be tempted just to pad under the bust and fit the dress over the padding when making it rather than add the all-over bulk of a full corset under the bodice. I'd still have the chemise (or fake it in the neckline and sleeves if bulk under the gown was still an issue) and, of course, no drawers for these periods.

And for earlier periods underwear would only consist of a chemise/shift anyway - so the girls would wear it unless, again, bulk under the kirtle and gown was an issue.

For the boys in the earlier periods, shirts and braes, unless it's a period like the late 15th Century where the hose are super-close fitting, in which case you hit the bulk/showing-through (medieval visible panty line!) issue again so I'd tend to leave the braes off in those instances, I think (I haven't finished my Luts boy's 15th Century outfit yet so haven't hit the issue of whether the braes show or not).

Teddy

20. So. I'm not a believer in underwear unless my girls (or Wyn) are wearing a skirt or dress that they'll work under (meaning, not too tight)...but my Granado Pancho on a Ringdoll RGM03 body has to wear them under his pants. If he doesn't, his penis works it's way out of his jeans and he looks like a big perv. I'm not a fan. Boxer briefs from Dollmore fixed this problem, which is good for him, because castration was my alternate solution.

So yeah. For one of my dolls underwear is a necessity. =_=