1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Wedding/Marriage?

May 6, 2007

1. I did it, and it was lovely. The best part of it was the fun other people had with it. It is a cherished memory, of my friends having fun with their dolls - and mine. It was romantic and whimsical, and something I'll never forget. The story is in the photostory gallery, called Jump The Broom.

Oh, and my own wedding was in my diningroom, with candles and 5 family members - no gown or tux - just a room full of love. So I can do weddings both ways - excessive or scaled down. Life is good, either way.

2. I think it would be a blast.:D And a doll's wedding would be SOOOOOO much cheaper than most people weddings!:lol: ;) :lol: When I was engaged & looking at dresses, I think the cheapest one I liked was around $500. Even if I made all the doll's outfits out of real silk & handmade lace it would probably still be cheaper than that dress. And we won't even talk about the cost of he invitations, the church/hall, the reception...:roll:

3. I find "marrying" dolls together disturbing for the same reason I find owners marrying their dogs together....there is no point to it. Dogs, like dolls, could care less what is going on and it is such a human concept that it is a waste of time and emotional investiment to do something like marrying dolls.

That's my opinion....I'm glad that people get close enough to their dolls to see this as a valid reaction. But to me, there is something disturbing about going overboard.

4. I think it's a great meetup theme because it can be interpreted so many different ways. And some people really like the traditional wedding rituals and accoutrements, but it's not an event they can play with much in real life. Certainly, the number of orders we've filled for wedding bands indicates that a lot of doll owners have married couples in their cast, even if they don't actually stage a live wedding meetup.

5. Marrying pets is very disturbing to me too. But I think a lot of owners who have weddings for their dolls look at it more as a meet-up or photo-op kind of thing. So it's not so much as anthropomorphizing the dolls (which it what it seems to be w/ pets) but just a fun chance to get together & show off the dolls.

If I come across a snippy I honestly don't mean to, just trying to explain how it seems to me.

6. You have absolutely nailed how most people who have a doll wedding feel about it. It's a fun opportunity to make extravagant and coordinating costumes. It's a great opportunity to do a really beautful set and get some great pics, and it's a fun theme to have a meet up about. People projecting more onto it than that, and finding the theme disturbing, may need to re-examine what their assumptions and judgements are about how others like to play. And again, it's nothing more than play.

7. yup yup. I've always wanted the chance to make wedding dresses in semi-unique designs, just not for people. This way i have more fun doing it.

8. I think a Doll Wedding would be adorable, and a great chance to meet up with other doll collectors and create fantastic costumes for them. :D

Also, perfect excuse to order the miniature tiered cake from the bakery down the street. It's just the right size to make a fantastic, to scale BJD-sized cake. I just saw it today, managed not to disturb the whole store by squeeing about how perfect the size is for dolls, and thought of this thread. XD

9. Hmmmm Snitter , well my dolls, aren't married to other peoples dolls, they are mmaried to dolls that live in my home :), but I think that if others find love that way it is wonderful, because it opens up for more mini meets and the like.

But you know I am also a person who love to live in a world of whimsy and wonder, I enjoy blending with other peoples dolls I sew for them I make things for them I treat them as my own but hey that's me.

10. Patrice, I read on ZOZ about Venus getting married. I will be at the Austin BJD Con and wouldn't miss your kids wedding for anything. Venus will make a beautiful bride. This will be such added fun to the Con.
      Marianna

11. And Steph, I followed all the pictures of Naomi and Grimm getting married. It was wonderful. Karen Purple also had a doll wedding for her Isao and Jun last year. I was able to attend that and my Lishe was also a Bridesmaid. It was so much fun. Pat Henry was there and took pictures for Fashion Doll Quarterly.
      Who can resist a joyful ocassion. Out of my 30 dolls, I have 5 couples. I may have a wedding in the future.

12. My friend went to a doll wedding! It looked adorable--all of her dolls got dressed up and there was the whole nine yards... XD I don't know if I would do it for MY dolls... Though it IS adorable... Mostly because I don't know that I'd have much of a ceremony for my OWN wedding, should that ever happen.

I don't know. It's so excessive and silly that I love the idea. X3 I would probably have a small one, with like my doll-friends over and all our dolls dressed up in their best outfits... X3 It would be SO CUTE. So many adorable pictures. And the potential scandals! I think it would be fun. I used to have Barbie weddings all the time when I was a kid. (Of course, the bride rarely made it to the altar before something horrible happened... o_o)

Not at all like pet weddings, which really bother me, because. Uh. Pets are living things and not dolls. o_o

13. LOLLZZZZZ.. LIEEEKKK CORNSTARCH...
      YOU'RE TOTALLY A WEIRDO FOR WANTING YOUR DOLL TO GET MARRIED.

lieeek...
      You only paid enough money for her. You shouldn't be able to do wot you want with her. <3

Maybe you shouldn't have made this thread.
      People seem to like to debate, and give their opinions, more than their ideas. >__>

14. Hi Marianna! Thanks so much - it was a creative, fun experience. Again, the time spent with friends to accomplish it is what made it so great. People put a lot of work into the clothing, jewelry, photography...and I did a lot of blushing work, and the writing...photography...photostory work.

It's such a positive thing, to share this kind of project - and I'm all for something that supports a positive, creative lifestyle. I think a lot of people who spend time writing stories for and about their dolls, experience this same "happy camaraderie". For a number of us, it's the sharing of interests with other people that drives us to write and photograph and do photostories.

Right now I have about 6 couples with my dolls. They just seem to pair up. It's what makes me happy - and people I'm friendly with, who enjoy sharing doll stories, seem to enjoy their couples, as well - like yourself. I'm not terribly worried about what others think about it... ;) I'll be happy to see wedding pics of your kids, if you decide to do one!

"Who can resist a joyful ocassion." My feelings exactly! Bring on the Joy! :)

15. Marianna, Coleen's Venus is the one getting married. My girls are the bridesmaids but it going to be so much fun and a great way of getting together at the Austin convention

16. Well, it sounds really cute, but I would be too embarrassed, and I'm a very private person in such things as hobbies. I'd only do it for a photostory (and I wouldn't even have any doll friends to invite, anyway) and wouldn't take it too seriously. I do have two dolls planned that are married, so maybe when they come I might do a little story.

BUT, I would go if someone else planned one. Just to see what goes on, what people do, how things are "staged." I think it would be really neat to have a meetup where everyone dressed their dolls like a bride or groom, and used a rented or decorated area for their own special photos for a collection.

17. eh well, Megumi and Jenova have an arranged marriage and when Megumi turns 16 [next year] - there will be a small ceremony. <-- in theory. [but I guess that's more along the character's lives than the physical resin avatars of them]

I think the most I will do on it is take a few piccies of Megumi in kimono [because I want an excuse to make her a traditional wedding kimono and Jenova looks real good in a suit =3] but as for a 'real time' ceremony [i.e meetup wedding themed gathering between friends - etc] it won't be happening because even in 'storyline' the marriage between them is a business arrangement [to secure her family's financial standing] and not an actual marriage between two peeps in love [because they are not, in any way, either in love or in a relationship].

While I personally wouldn't do the whole marrying my dorries in a real chapel thing, I guess I can understand the appeal of it to a point and figure if you are up for spending all that time and cash to go through with it, have at it. Everyone has different ways of playing with their dolls and even though a dorrie wedding isn't my cup of tea, if it makes you happy, then more power to you ^_^

18. I can understand why a lot of people would want/have had a doll wedding. I mean, how many of us had our favorite Barbie get married when we were kids?

If I had characters who were going to get married in their story, I'd be more likely to write it out. If I really wanted doll photos to match, I'd probably just take portrait pictures of the "happy couple" than actually do a full-on photostory. I definitely wouldn't go to the time an expense of making it into a meet-up with all of the traditional things, but that's 'cause I'd rather spend the money on more doll clothes or something for me. ^_^ But as a meet-up theme, as long as people weren't taking it too seriously and just wanted to have fun and do something different, it's an interesting idea.

19. *raises hand* :lol:

If I ever had dolls that were intending to get married I think it would be a more low-key thing. A photoshoot perhaps, but I don't think I'd go through with a big extravagant ceremony or anything. If people wanted to celebrate my dolls marrying we could have an after party. :sweat However, if someone wants to do something big, that's up to them. It's their dolls day, and therefore they should be able to celebrate it how they want. :)

20. Me too. And lookinng back it's odd because Barbie would sometimes pair w/ one of my other girl dolls or w/ Ken but I don't remember ever pairinng up my Kens & G.I. Joes. But w/ my BJDs it's pretty much the opposite way around*_* .

Morgan