1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dollita!

Aug 21, 2010

1. I have an outfit from Dollmore that was sold as being Lolita, but even from the little bit I know of the style, I'm fairly certain it isn't "proper", so I wouldn't say that I do. I would have no issue incorporating elements seen in Lolita styles, but that isn't quite the same thing. I'm not a big fan of styles that follow a set of arbitrary rules, and I say that as a former period costume (semi)purist. (On the continuum between "if they'd had it, they would have used it" to "you used a synthetic blend thread to sew in that lining, you monster!" I was about 3/4 or more of the way toward the scarier of those extremes.) I'm more interested in something that looks "right" to my eye for what I want it to be rather than something that adheres to a specific standard unless I'm making an actual uniform of some kind, or a replica of something from a portrait/etc.

I would look absurd in Lolita clothing. A great many people look utterly fantastic in the style, and I know full well I would not be one of them. It's not any great woe to me; I sometimes dress "oddly" but my tastes run more toward art-to-wear clothing from local weavers and fabric artists than the Lolita style, and those things are much more flattering for my build. (No, really. Adding several dozen yards of ruffles and tons of lace to my figure would create a look like an awkwardly meandering wedding cake, perpetually about to tip over. Not gonna happen.)

When someone invents a time machine that can make me look 20 again, and I lose a ton of weight, I might consider it for special events or meets or something, for fun. ;)

2. Some of my smaller dolls look sweet in fluffy child dresses, but I don't like following rules either, so I don't refer to them as lolita, although they were marketed as such.

3. How many of us dress our dolls in lolita style?
      My girls almost always wear Lolita styles.

And if you do, do you ever wear lolita yourself?
      I do, but not very often. Really only to certain events/meets/parties. I'd like to wear more often but it seems to not be practical in many situations.

Do you dress your doll and yourself in matching lolita oufits?
      No but it would be really cute! I'm dying to see someone with Volks Charlotte or Lieselotte who gets the human size dresses too.

Honestly anymore when faced with the choice of a dress for my dolls and a dress for myself, I most often choose for the doll. I feel I get more use and enjoyment out of the outfit that way. Though I love the style, I often feel self-conscious when wearing it and I tire of the clothes very quickly finding myself wanting to sell them off after only wearing 1-2 times. Whereas I seem to be almost as attached to some of my dolls dresses as to the dolls themselves :lol:

4. How many of us dress our dolls in lolita style?
      Me! I have one Classic Lolita and plans for a Kuro/Gothic lolita

Yep! I'm what you would call a "Bittersweet" Lolita, meaning I like sweet types of prints (flowers, strawberries, candies) but I like them in black. And I also dabble in classic, kuro, and even a little regular sweet (but no pink for red-heads :( Mint is my favorite)

I wish! No. She has the BTSSB White dress (she's a Volks Rose Fullset <3) and then I have a couple of all-black coordinates. So sometimes I'll have her in the shirou loli and me in the kuro. I would totally love to own her dress in black and twin with her though.

5. How many of us dress our dolls in lolita style?
      I dress my doll in lolita style (sweet), and plan to dress a future doll of mine in lolita as well - but classic lolita this time.
      I'm only buying loli outfits for my dolls (present and future) at the moment.

I do wear lolita, but it's very, very rare. =/
      only in meetings or when I'm at home and have nothing to do.

No.

6. Wait, wait, wait right there. You "don't see much lolita" here?
      My god, are you SURE you're talking about Den of Angels? :?

7. How many of us dress our dolls in lolita style?
      I have one doll that does dress lolita. And yes, he's a boy (he does not dress in kodona, haha). He used to do mainly punk stuff, but he is now more of a classic lolita. I don't always dress him in lolita, but that's what he mainly wears.

I love lolita fashion and have followed it for years (I tend to stalk brand websites everyday). But I rarely wear it because I haven't really had the funds to buy anything (I spend most of my money on my dolls, lol). I have worn it at conventions before though (borrowing a friend's dress). Only recently have I gotten my own dress, and have worn it only a couple of times. So I have been into the fashion for a long while, but I've only recently started wearing it. And I'm more of a sweet lolita myself (I love pink and sweets accessories so... xD). But I do like the classic style, since I do dress my doll in it. And I would like to dress in classic myself at some point. ^^

No. I only have a sweet dress, and he has classic outfits. But if I ever get classic dresses in the future for myself, maybe. xD

8. I dress my dolls in lolita about 50% of the time and in just plain cute and frilly things 40% of the time, with casual everyday clothes (tees, hoodies, shorts, pants, etc) the last 10%. I don't own any of my own lolita clothing, no. So I don't dress in it or match my dolls to my own clothes, though I do match them to each other a lot. I do wear a lot of lacy outfits though. I'm wearing a camisole with lace and a lace skirt right now. :lol:

So my dolls aren't strictly lolita, though they do wear a lot of it and I really love many types of lolita style. But I like cute and frilly outfits in general.

9. Cat91151- Ah! I love bittersweet lolita!Ireally wish I could find some bittersweet clothes for dollies~

Miku-Miku- Were you at the mechacon meet? I think I met you and your boy~ ^^

10. Yep, I was there! I was in the white Meta dress. And my boy was in a black classic Dollheart dress~ ^^

11. I've been a lolita for about 3-4 years now, I'm wearing it between 2-6 days a week depending what I'm doing, I am a bit of a 'lifestyle' lolita. I mostly wear gothic, hime and aristocrat is creeping in more (doing a slow phase out of sweet).
      and none of mine are lolita, at least not at the moment.

My incoming Pukipuki is going to be one, she's also going to be living inside by BtSSB Bunnybear; Its pretty much useless as a bag so its going to become the worlds most expensive doll carier with a little loli living inside.
      When I finaly get a Volks Megu, theres a good chance I will dress her in lolita.
      I wouldn't outfit match, I just don't want to; It can be nice to have them in a complimentary outfit, but its not something I really care about.

The thing with places like this is what alot of people think is lolita, it isn't, alot of it is just girly outfits, plus alot of things labled as lolita really arent. The esthetic is really specific and many people just don't know what it properly looks like (bit like some e-bay sales that fool alot of newbies to the fashion with too short skirts and miles of lace).

12. Miku-Miku - I remember! You and your boy were adorable! :D

Infinitydragon- I'm quite aware.^^ Though i'm sure if you go to any non-lolita community you will get misconceptions.

13. I have to say that love the lolita styles for sd that i've seen on here. Problem is that since i'm new i don't know where to shop for them. Can anyone give me ideas or link to see who offers really pretty lolita style outfits.

Thanks!

14. I do not have any dolls that dress in the lolita style.
      My girls do dress very modestly, often in skirts that are at least knee length (often longer) and always with stockings...but I don't really like lace. ^_^"

I like to look at lolita on other people though. I'm always interested in outlying fashions, and I often dress in what many people would term "eccentric" myself. I usually run more toward vintage clothing myself though. But I do happen to have an odd affection for aprons. ^_~

Once I have made a dress for one of my dolls that was patterned off of a dress that I own. I have never had us wear the dresses together though, I just really liked that dress and thought it would look smashing on Miss Dunn. ^_^

Hm...that probably wasn't a very useful answer... :/

15. LOl! I AM on livejournal! People there can be pretty brutal, yes 0_0, but I was actually talking about on DOA, I've seen negativity and arguing about lolita style in the sewing subforum and in the seamstresses part of the marketplace, in particular.

That's so funny that you pinned me for being on livejournal...

16. I do not wear lolita. The thought of putting this 45-year-old chubby body into a frilly lolita dress is... disturbing.

I do, though, dress some of my dolls in lolita style clothes. It depends on that particular doll's personality and style.

17. I used to dress my big girl in lolita, but since I changed her wig and faceup, her cutesy lolita outfits doesn't suit her as well so I don't dress her in them much anymore. ;_; I want to get her some more elegant lolita style clothes though. And my little girl, well, it just doesn't suit her, except on occasion. But I very much like dressing dolls in lolita style!

I don't wear lolita clothing myself -- I can't afford both the BJD hobby and such frivolous and expensive clothing for me. xD Though if I could I would love to wear lolita clothes sometimes, I adore such pretty frilly things. <3

SUSY IN ONTARIO ~ might I suggest Dollheart? You can also find them on ebay or through various dealers. I'm not really knowledgeable on the different styles of lolita clothes but I'm pretty darn sure that Dollheart does a lot of it (and quite beautifully I may add).

18. XD I tend to avoid LiveJournal for that very reason. I havent really explored the sewing section much so I haven't seen any arguments,but some people can be pretty critical. The best thing to do is ignore them and do lolita your way(although some(be it nice or mean) will oppose if you stray too far from the guidelines XD).

It would be better if people provided constructive criticism, even for dollita. ^^'

19. How many of us dress our dolls in lolita style?
      My SD13 Elena wears lolita/ lolita-esq clothing. I also make lolita style clothes for her based on patterns I find in magazines like Gosu Loli and patterns found on sewing LJ's.
      Yes and no :sweat I do have some lolita brand items in my closet but I don't wear them as lolita pieces. For example, I have a gothic lolita skirt that I wear with a black military shirt and a tie. I like to think of it as a form of rebellion against purist lolitas (and boy do I know some scary elitist loli's XD ) :lol:
      No. I Would cosplay as a character and cosplay my doll as another character but matching outfits would be borderline creepy for me. Not that I would mind if someone else did it :) Each to their own!

20. Dollheart is usually a good bet, they often have something lolita for sale and they've got lots of shoe styles as well. Volks does some nice-looking lolita outfits, though you have to wait for Dolpa or outfit release events, and they can sell out very quickly. Honigdoll has some cute outfits for quite cheap (a lot of their outfits are sold out right now but the ones in stock are on sale). I've seen some nice Luts outfits, but I've also seen some more questionable ones as well... Dollmore has so many clothes that I don't know if I've seen them all, but my opinion of their lolita dresses is generally low- there might be a nice dress or two buried in there but I've never looked thoroughly since what I have seen mostly failed to impress. :sweat

All of these shops, of course, sell non-lolita clothing as well, and some sell styles that are sort of on the edge of lolita. Not every dress in these shops is going to be spot on. XD

If you're feeling a little adventurous, there always seem to be beautiful pieces on Yahoo Japan, and there are a lot of individual designers who make small runs or have order periods for outfits on their own sites. Arcadia Dolls is one example, they have some incredibly cute lolita outfits but are closed for orders right now while they catch up on backorders. There are a lot of sites in Japanese, Korean, and Chinese which I've seen but not bookmarked because I can't read the information and don't know what's for sale (sometimes they are listings of one of a kind outfits which have already been sold at auction). I don't know if anyone has a list of these kinds of sites, but a lot of the really beautiful outfits I've seen in gallery posts turn out to be from Yahoo Japan or independent designers.