1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dollmaster movie

Aug 23, 2004

1. Hey all! Happy Turkey Day to all you Americans out there :D

There are two reviews for Doll Master at AsianDB here:
      http://www.asiandb.com/browse/movie_detail.pfm?code=5643&mode=review

I have the region 3 DVD from DVDAsian, haven't watched it yet though! I am holding out for an area doll meet up viewing.

As far as getting a region 1 compatible version of this, I don't think there's a VCD available yet, VCD would be slightly lower quality than DVD and probably on 2 CD's but they're in the area of like $5-$10 - check out YesAsia if you're interested in that route. Though make sure there are subtitles!

I mentioned before in the older thread, my husband recently did a story on his website: www.dreadcentral.com, that Dimension (under Miramax and we all know what they did with Hero and Shaolin Soccer) has acquired the US remake rights from Cineclick Asia to make Doll Master stateside.

Who knows when it will happen since apparently Cineclick has sold other titles and none of them have seen the light of day here (THANK GOD). But it could pose some interesting developments for BJD's - and that's only if Miramax doesn't have their heads SO far up their bums that they don't replace the BJD's with something like an American Girl Doll (oh God help me...)

2. Seeing all those parts just lying in a heap made me so sad! To know what they are worth to people and yet they are displayed as trash..ahhh. :evil:

3. Well, I got the code off that hack dvd site.. hopefully it will work and not mess up my dvd player.. i asked my mom for the movie for xmas and gave her the link. yay. So if the code doesn't work, then i'll just sell it i suppose.. ^_^ hopefully it will work! :cry:

4. I think I heard that Playstation 2's don't have region restrictions. Is that true? I would love to see that movie, but my dad is wary of downloading any software that he is unsure of. He won't let me download a movie about dolls, which he hates. :( ...Or maybe he'll let me download it if it cures my obsession with these darn dolls by scaring it out of me. :oops:

Anybody know anything about the playstations?

5. I really should be in bed by now but I just finished DM and am a little peeved. My dvd's English subs cut out right near the end so I have no idea what was said...

Spoiler alert...
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      So, right about when Ms. Im (wheelchair doll lady) is about to kill Hae-mi (after her husband shot her), they cut out. Errr... what does Hae-mi say to the husband as all the dolls come after them?
      And what does she say to him at the very end when they're burning everything?
      Why did she throw Mina away?

Am very confused right now.

Loki's Mom

6. please do a search on this should be about 2 other threads about the movie

7. I don't have subtitles, but I do speak Korean. >D I can help you out.

[Right before Mina is killed Mina says, to the doll posessing Ms. Im, "You're hurting because the man you loved left you!" Then she dies. :B]

--After the action scenes, and the extremely creepy part when Ms. Im crawls super fast O_o ... --

As she lays on the floor, she says to her dying/dead brother, "Oppa .. [Brother]"

Her husband comes upstairs and says to her, "We shouldn't have done it .. that doll, we shouldn't have brought her. Dear ..."

Ms Im says, "Dear .. now she has let me go. ...thank you."

Mr. Im: ".....the poor soul/person .. [speaking about doll? or wife? debatable, works both ways.]"

-- during burning scene --

Haemi : "Who's fault is it ... ? Humans who are irresponsible, or the troubled dolls who loved their masters/people .. ?"

-end-

That line doesn't mean who's fault is it that so and so died, it's a general question: who is to blame for this sad fate. Is it the humans who grow distant [after swearing to love the dolls], or is it the doll for holding onto their love for their masters. Mina was fixated on the promise Haemi had made when she was young -- so in a way, Haemi was talking about herself, I suppose. Haemi was too young to realise how much she had promised, and Mina, well. She was a doll, and loved no other than her owner.

Now, which scene are you talking about ?

Haemi throws Mina's head into the fire because she no longer loved Mina -- remember how terrified she was of Mina?

That scene at the end where young Haemi opens the window and drops Mina is a very sad one. Like any child, she grew up. She no longer needed doll friends ... she outgrew Mina.

Hope that helps .. I went off on a tangent. XDD

8. thanks for that,.... mine cut out the subtitles just after that... and I did wonder.... brilliant film A1 and the 2nd disc shows all the lovely dolls.... sigh so much eye candy....

So glad I got it...

:daisy

9. Very creepy. They seem to do that a lot in movies. Very effective. I think that was the creepiest part of the movie for me (I don't scare very easily).

Yeah, that definitely makes sense.

Mostly the one above. I had no subs by then (very annoying) and was wondering what she said to Mr. Im.

I also wondered if there was any explanation for that bit. It is sad not to mention "OMG! That's an expensive doll she just threw out the window". This is a good example of why you don't give these dolls to children. XoP

That's okay. It helped a lot. Thanks.

Loki's Mom

10. When they say "remake" do they mean that they'll just dub it like they did with Spirited Away or are they going to completely remake it with different actors and such? *is confused*

I'm really excited though. I still haven't been able to see it since I can never seem to find it online with english subtitles.

11. I think they're going to remake it altogether - like The Ring from Ringu.

I'd love to see the original Doll Master myself!

12. gods I HATE it when they remake asian movies. And they've been doing it left and right lately. Ringu, Ju-on, Dark Water, The Eye and now Doll master. I really wish they'd just use the originals with subtitles. Though at least in NYC they usually do play the originals subtitled at theaters here and there.

I'm also extremely curious as to what dolls they'll be using. Will it be CH dolls or some american type dolls or antique dolls?

13. Grrr, that sucks. I hope that they still use the CH BJD's ... I'd be really ticked off if they ended up using something like Barbie dolls or porcelain dolls.

14. It would be great if they use BJD's in the movie...but its not likely...probaly porcelain dolls, people have more of a 'fear' of them.

So far I've liked the asian movie re-makes...but I always have to watche the origianls..as long at the stick to the story well I like them.(The Ring was a lot different form Ringu so I heard, I never got to see Ringu but I did read the Ringu translated novel...that was good.) I thought The Grudge was pretty true to Ju-on. but thats my opinion...

15. Hope they still use the Customhouse Ais. Otherwise I'm not bothering to see it. Because, well, pretty dolls would be my only reason to see it. (<---doesn't like scary movies)

16. We have a good film society in Sarasota, so we can usually see the originals too.

It would be cool if they used BJD's - like CH. They'll probably come up with their own scary Hollywood Art Department dolls though.

17. It might be interesting. I think it would be interesting if the art department sculpted their own BJDs, but I don't think it would be right if they switched to anothe type of doll, such as porcelain dolls..it would take an interesting part out of the movie for me.

18. I really don't think the remakes are generally too bad; I liked Ring better than Ringu in some respects (and vice versa). A lot of them I've only seen the originals of, though, as my boyfriend's a Japanese movie nut and we live four blocks from the biggest video store west of the Mississippi :) (And yet we've still managed to rent about half their inventory o.O; )

I wouldn't be too terribly surprised if they used BJD (or maybe more likely dolls directly inspired by the original CH BJD but not their actual dolls) in the remake. Porcelain dolls are only comically scary, and the American developers probably don't want to make an unintentionally funny movie about a bunch of frilly procelain dolls menacing people. There is something inherently creepy about BJD because they're more lifelike, and they're also pretty exotic and weird to most of the western audience. In fact, I think if this movie were an American movie to begin with, they would have designed their own life-like-ish (in face and posability), slightly disturbing dolls rather than going the porcelain or collector's-type doll route.

Of course, I could be wrong about that, but let's hope they don't end up looking like little Chuckies...