1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls and Conventions

Apr 3, 2005

1. i've taken Amaia and Izarra to Millennicon, a science fiction convention, and to Penguicon, a SF/Linux convention. It's probably one of the nicest ways to share dolls with a pretty tolerant group.

i plan to go to DragonCon (which has quite a bit of doll activity), ConClave, and Youcon, which is J-Pop/anime, later this year. The Michigan Meetup contingent is planning to bring a large number of dolls to Youcon.

As Raouken said, you meet many people who have never seen a BJD in person and want to check them out. And it's really fun when you meet someone else carrying a doll!

2. It wasn't actually a convention, but I saw a couple bjds around the PLAY! A Video Game Symphony audience this last weekend (basically a concert where the orchestra played video game musics!). It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. . . and it proved to my mother that these dolls really are popular. ^_^

3. I'm sure doll knowledge is less common among the sci-fi/comic book crowd... just because ABJDs and anime seem to have a slight connection XD So people probably have fewer expectations/less knowledge about BJDs and are less likely to look at them and immediately think - "Oh god, one of those creepy dolls >O"

4. I wanted to take Luke to Celebration IV, the Star Wars 30th Anniversary convention next year, but I just found out that it will be in Los Angeles rather than Indianapolis - so that's not happening. I am currently on the hunt for another sci-fi convention with a significant Star Wars presence located in the midwest that I can take him to but as usual I will probably discover the perfect candidate - the week after it takes place.

I have bad convention luck.

Eppie

5. I took one of my dolls to the Witching Hour, the Harry Potter convention that was held in Salem, MA, last October. 8) We had a blast, and I definitely got some good interest in and reaction to my boy. I plan on taking someone with me when I go to Phoenix Arising in New Orleans next year, as well.

6. I go to Dragoncon, well have the last two times, and there is NO doll activity. I certainly could not find any if there was.

7. I took Valentine to Marscon (science fiction/fantasy con). Other than almost getting nabbed by a kid with dirty hands and getting upstaged by my dalek, things went pretty well. We found people in the dealer's room selling clothes for fashion dolls who were absolutely in love with her. Most people didn't say anything about her, and she didn't get any negative comments.

8. I saw one girl walking around with what looked like on of the CP boys in a long blonde wig. I was on the phone at the time and couldn't talk to her, but that's about all the doll action I saw there last year. The year before that--nothin'.

I'm taking my boy this year, though. =D

9. I was there last year and Mike was the only one there, other than at the meetup. He was wearing a black wig. Also, at the meetup there was only one boy, him. 2004 was none.

10. Then I was severely mistaken. @__@ I'm not sure what it was with the long blonde hair, then. Maybe a different kind of doll...

And yeah. 2004 was doll-free, unless you count some of the action figures down in the Dealer's Room.

11. I do have some pictures, I'll have to see if I can find them and I can show you. There was a CP DES there...did the girl carrying the doll have pink hair?

12. I can't remember exactly--the pictures would probably help. Hee, I have a memory like a leaky spork! ^__^; Did the DES have a really long blonde wig? Since I didn't get a good look, I might have mistaken her for a boy doll.

13. Got the picture right here. Wig looks white. There was one other doll who showed up, but honestly forgot what she looked like. The battery died soon after.
      [​IMG]

14. I've taken Sonya to the Mich renaissance festival. She got a lot of positive attention (though it's a little less out of place looking with people commonly toting dragons and suchnot on their shoulders). :)

15. Yeah, I hope to go back to the Ren Faire up in Charlotte with one of my elves.

16. There was a meetup at the San Diego Comic Con last year... but it's such a HUGE con that almost anything you do there just gets swallowed up by the crowd!

I had my doll at my table in Artists Alley and no one noticed...

I'm going to try and bring mine to GenCon this year and I'll see how it goes. I'm stuck at an artist table again, so it probably won't be a big deal. Nene Thomas had her DES at her booth last year... but that' all the BJD stuff I noticed. GenCon's fairly large for a con, too. And most gamers are guys and most guys not too into dolls, so that might also explain some of that. I was at a Loscon with my doll, but I didn't walk about with him (I'd just got him and he didn't have any clothes--so he was in a box! I was showing him to friends with their own dolls in their hotel room.

I'll bring my dolls to Worldcon this year, since it's local for me. I'll see how that goes then... I probably won't be carrying them around, though. I'll have to see what I'm doing for that con... If I'm on panels I usually don't want to be distracting from the topic! ... but I probably won't be on panels... I am doing some for Westercon, I think...

Anyway--it should be fine to bring dolls to SF and other cons. People who go to cons will usually understand the interest to some extent. Plenty of people I know who are into BJDs are also people who go to cons, so there's a pretty big cross-over in other interests, even if the BJD thing is still pretty new to them.

17. I'm bringing Erianthe to Gencon as well this year. I didnt see any dolls last year but then I wasnt really looking for them either and I spent a lot of time looking at Nene Thomas's booth so thats how oblivious I was to dolls. I did manage to see a dog at Gencon though =) I dont know if I'll carry her around all four days, but I did buy a dog harness so I can hang her around my neck if she get to heavy.

18. So far from other types of cons it seems... but I'm going to a Strawberry Shortcake convention this July. Due to popular request I'll be taking one of my dolls, but I'm not sure which one. These girls... obviously.. are doll people so I don't expect any strange reactions.

I'm quite excited about it actually. The thought of being able to share an abjd with collectors of a different type sounds like fun. The girls I've spoken to are looking forward to seeing an abjd in person.

I've thought about taking my tiny Mew in addition to one of the talldolls (because SSC fans love small dolls of course) but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable having the responsibility of watching 2 of my dolls, in another state, for a weekend event. It will be my first time taking any of them to a large gathering.. and I know there will be children there.

I'm a little overprotective.

19. I saw an El at Millenicon this year, and I was going to take Cedric to MARcon, but I couldn't - asked for the wrong weekend off at work and then they wouldn't let anyone off b/c of Memorial Day. I intend to take him to any Sci-Fi cons, comic cons, or Ren-fests I go to. He'll be dressed appropriately ;)

20. Tristan is going to Demicon this year - he already has a Doctor Who scarf (and I think I'll make a hat like Tom Baker wears to go with it...) For Anime Iowa, he's going dressed as Red Mage from 8-Bit Theatre. (I need to find an itty bitty D&D book...)