1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

dolls and gender [Just a weird thought!]

May 13, 2012

1. I'm female and heterosexual. I collect mostly boys but I love female dolls too.

I started with boys only and never had a desire to own girl dolls plus I think I was scared I'd not like them because I've only have boys for so many years until I bought a puki sugar and even though pukis have no gender, mine was a girl and I fell IN LOVE with her! she's my princess and with her I lost. the fear of owning female dolls. But money is now another thing that stops me from getting MSD or SD girls because that would mean getting a new wardrobe and I currently have no money for that because i like to spoil my dolls and I'm unhappy if I can't do that since my boys are 100% spoiled to the core!!! I'm happy that they have a huge variety of clothes to fit their personalities and shoes, accessories. etc. and it took a lot of money to get there.

Other than that, I'd have no problem having girls. I'd love too but *maybe*later in the future 'cause every time i have money I spend it on my boys. Another thing, when I'm looking for dolls, I tend to go only for boys since they attract me more probably because i already have like 8boys and just one tiny cute little girl.

2. I am female and am yet to own a boy doll. I don't know why that is, I don't have any aversions to male dolls but the dolls that I tend to be really struck by that scream "buy me, buy me" have all so far been girls :fangirl:

3. Guys... definitly. I'm not really a "girly" girl... don't know what to do with a girl...

4. I love the topic of gender, both for dolls and just in general. At the moment most of my planned dolls are male with just a couple female. Most characters I create are male. I am a guy who loves to blur the lines when it comes to gender and androgyny is something I do well. This translates to my characters and dolls. Most of my characters are also gay so one boy creates the need for another boy as companionship. Even my Anthony will be dressed in frilly things versus buying a girl doll to dress as such. Don't get me wrong I will eventually get around to getting girls but the sculpts & characters I'm focused on right now are all male. Once I have a healthy sized collection I'll add some tomboys and a few sassy chicks.

5. I tend to have all girls dolls and I think it's definitely influenced by the fact that I'm male. Female sculpts are just so much more attractive to me. However, I recently bought a set where I'm going to end up with an extra female head and she's not very androgynous looking. But I've decided that I'm going to get male body for her. Like Deathwish111 I like androgyny and am looking forward to my little she/he coming home. Actually, a lot of male sculpts are pretty androgynous looking and it seems there's a fair amount of male/male attraction in the bjd world. Most of my dolls are goth/victorian and my little girl/boy will be wearing a dress.....just like L-O-L-A, Lola.....

6. Most of the characters I create are male; that stems from the fact I'm female and I've also been writing fiction as well as roleplaying since I was very young. I learned (the hard way) from very early on that if you play or write a character of the same gender it's a lot more easy to empathize and hesitate in putting them in unfavorable circumstances or do really awful things to them even though that could help progress the story because you actually identify with them since they're already a part of your own mind -especially the roleplay characters-. So I find it easier to create and roleplay males regardless of their sexual orientation.

That being said I currently own and plan to own both girls as well as guys, but I have more guys than I do girls and most likely always will. And then there are those characters that blur the lines entirely; for example my Unoa Sist is going to be a guy who, due to his work at a particular fashion agency, dresses as both a guy as well as a girl as well as something that's neither of the two. His looks are completed with appropriate wigs and makeup so its impossible to tell his real gender. His "default" look is very boyish though, all things considered while still retaining some of his androgynous characteristics due to his delicate face and body type.

7. This theory doesn't work for me as I only collect female dolls, male dolls just don't appeal to me at all. As a woman, I find female dolls more relatable and interesting. I find the whole process of finding clothes for my girls exciting, whereas the idea of dressing up a male doll leaves me feeling dispassionate.:sigh I haven't owned a male doll since I was a small child (a Ken doll) and I wasn't anywhere near as engrossed in that doll as I was the girls. I completely respect anyone who enjoys collecting boy dolls but it isn't for me.

8. I'm male who has two male dolls and one girl that's on the way.

9. I have a boy and now I both a little ai doll.
      I love Boys cause it was not commom to see male dolls in my childhood.

10. I don't have male dolls at the moment. I'm very picky about my beloved guys, and so far I haven't found the right dolls to enshell them. My female characters just seem to fit the bjd aesthetic more easily.

11. I'm female and my first doll is female because I found it a lot easier to find cute female-fitted outfits! I'm torn between getting a male or another girl for my next, though...

12. I'm female, and so are most of my dolls (5:1). I do want to add some more boys to my collection, but I have such a hard time finding sculpts I like. I favor MSDs, and since I would be shelling adult, strongly masculine characters, most male 1:4 BJDs are too androgynous or downright boyish for me. I'm always looking and admiring, especially aGatti dolls, Iplehouse, and Souldoll Vitos, but I haven't yet found one who's right for me.

My one and only boy is a tiny, and his character is about 4 years old. He, at least, was easy to shell.

13. I collect them pretty much equally, and a lot of my planned and current dolls are in some way gender-nonconforming - like right now I have a genderfluid doll, and one of my planned characters is a trans boy. So... idk I like variety

14. I'm pretty gender neutral, tbh. I honestly am cool with whatever, and I veer back and forth between genders from time to time.

That said, I collect mostly male dolls, and think I know exactly why. I mean for starters, maybe I use it as a way to express masculinity without having to raise questions about my own identity with others (then again, I don't dress my boys in especially "manly" styles, and I don't show them off except online... jury's out on this one). But on a more literal, practical level, it's just that I find myself seeing a lot of "sameface" among girl dolls, and not very many bodies that are well engineered for poseability instead of... well, sexiness. Not that sexiness is always a bad thing, but in dolls it just really doesn't interest me.

There are unique sculpts, to be sure, and there are great bodies without giant, sometimes unrealistic, hypersexualized breasts. I do own two girl dolls, after all, and though I have no current plans for more, I do like girl dolls for the most part. I have nothing against them, and they don't disgust me or anything. I'm just picky about doll bodies (says the person with 19 of them...) and I find more features I like among the boys. And it's not like I dislike every girl doll sculpt I don't own; I don't buy every sculpt I like.

Now, does that mean that boy dolls get priority from companies when it comes to uniqueness, not being hypersexualized, and/or body engineering? Or is it entirely on my end? Am I just judgier about girls, maybe due to some latent misogyny? Who knows. It certainly isn't a conscious effort, I just buy what I want.

15. I noticed it seemed like most people had male dolls, and I thought it was odd. Probably because in my head, I assume people, to some extent, project themselves onto personalized things, especially humanoid things. But other people think of them as characters, or at least give them personalities. I kinda just see them as dolls. I want to sew clothes for them, and use them as references for drawing.

I've so far only been interested in female dolls, but I might purchase one male eventually for drawing references.

16. For me it's about face sculpts/aesthetics. I just think that most of the female face sculpts look like a pretty female face. Most of the male sculpts on the other hand look like bishonen - pretty boys to me. Or, if the company tries to make the faces look more manly, they tend to look ugly. I want any male doll I get to look like a handsome man, not ugly and not like a boy. That being said, I did find a male face sculpt I liked, but... It was for a female character. Because the face seemed like it could really work for either gender.

17. I think that's interesting, Adell, because perspective-wise, I think most of the male sculpts look even more feminine than the female sculpts. Just more..elfin? Either way I think a male sculpt would work very well on a feminine body. I love the look of most sculpts, male and female, except for the American Bjds..but there's a high degree of neoteny on both sides, and sometimes I think it goes a bit too far. Iplehouse senior sculpts seem more mature, female-wise. And the Ringdoll male sculpts seem more masculine.

18. I'm a guy and so far, only boy dolls o uo; and only plans for boy dolls in the near future. Girls don't hold much interest for me, although I fell in love with one girl and I might get her later on for a specific character.

19. I'm female, and my female dolls have always greatly outnumbered my male dolls. Even now, my wishlist is filled with female dolls. I think I'm more drawn to them because I really love feminine styles and fashions a lot, so I feel it's more fun to dress them up . ^_^ I also prefer the generally softer features that most female dolls have, it's cuter, in my opinion. Female dolls also usually seem to have a kinder expression on their face, while a lot of the male dolls that I've seen tend to have sharper features with a serious expression that can come off looking a little mean to me. ^^; There are a couple of male dolls that I actually really liked that I've come across, though, and thinking back on it, they each had more youthful, rounded features and a sweeter looking face. So maybe it's not so much the gender I care about as it is about the overall features for me?

20. Okay, thanks for the heads up on the Ringdoll male sculpts. There are indeed some nice ones there. I have since taken a closer look at Souldoll as well and I like some of their male sculpts as well. Now I think I see a male doll in the future, eventually.