1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

dolls and gender [Just a weird thought!]

May 13, 2012

1. I've had boy dolls, but they are just so boring and/or difficult to dress and sew for compared to girls - so I've sold them all. If I wanted a boy to wear something other than jeans (which I can't sew too well) plus a shirt (ditto) or teeshirt, I had to invent this way-out, unconventional character, by way of explaining why he's not dressed as a 'regular' macho guy (too much work for me!) Whereas even my most boring, conventional girl doll character can wear really pretty or interesting clothing - bonus being it's easier to sew and there's a ton of it in the shops compared to boy clothing. So for me it's nothing personal - I just like my dolls to wear what I can't or daren't wear in real life (like lolita, or sexy low-cut tops!)

2. Tried a boy doll once, didn't love him so I decided to stick with girls from here on out. No particular reason, I just find them more appealing. *shrug* I don't know if the theory works but I do think it's interesting to hear what appeals to people and why~

3. Well, I'm male and I think the vast majority of my Dolls are going to be male! But all of my dolls are based on already existing characters of mine, and I have a lot more males than females, but it is going to be a mixed crowd <3

4. My collection is about even right now, and I try to keep it that way. I did start out wanting all boys, but gradually the girls snuck in and now I play with them more than most of my boys. XD

5. I think I tend to have more female dolls than boys, but i think that is mostly because I don't know how to sew for male shapes really. My ratio is very skewed towards female, and when I do have males I prefer them more androgynous.

6. It doesn't really play a role to me, if I fall in love with the face, I'll get the doll regardless of gender.

7. I am a girl, and I like better the boy dolls. The reason is simple: I find more attractive male bjds, then females. I like to have a girl, but I just can't find the perfect doll for me. I have some girls in my mind, but I am not sure witch one I want, so I waiting. And sometimes tell my boy, that he will have another boy to play with, if I can't find the sculpt and body, I adore. :lol: I am not looking for a real fiance for him, but it will good if they match a little bit, just for the photos.

8. I am a girl and, in human terms as I don't think the anthros should count, I currently I have 2 girls and 1 boy so I'm somewhat in the middle. My issue is that I like very manly men but not much taller than MSD so it's really hard to find them.
      In my list of possible future dolls (which I don't think will happen soon either way xD) I have a boy and a girl, so that doesn't help.
      I don't really think I have a preference for either gender, but it is true what others say about clothing (plus my boy is an unconventional size so... mission impossible xD).

9. I'm a girl, though meanwhile all of my dolls are girls.

10. Personally I like to collect both male and female dolls (also some who are neither) because I have Ocs of different genders. I don't think your theorie holds up well when put to the test. It really just comes down to personal preference ^^

11. I tend towards female dolls, but have both. I’m not as good at writing or relating to men, so I just... don’t write them as the protagonists. Fundamentally, I know that in a lot of the societies I write, there wouldn’t be the same gendered socialization that we have and that means that the differences between men and women would be different/negligible in a lot of ways, so I don’t know what my difficulties are from?

12. I'm a lady and I have only 4 girl dolls and 20+ boy dolls. For me it's mostly just a novelty thing, I think... I've always wanted boy dolls since I was a kid, but I don't think there has ever been a mainstream boy fashion doll that I've liked. They're all too macho, or too ugly, or too old... BJDs are nice because you can actually get flavors other than "ken-adjacent".

But I have 4 girl dolls, and I don't think they're boring or anything... Admittedly I'm harsher on/pickier about female dolls, and I don't like getting traditionally pretty or "standard" ones. I like my female dolls to be a little scary because I feel more connected to them, and there just aren't a lot of scary female bjd sculpts I've been able to get my hands on.

13. I'm male and I'm planning on getting mostly male dolls. For me it's aesthetics. I'm very picky about female dolls and I find that while they're gorgeous, they mostly don't fit my particular aesthetic.

Something to also mention is that it could be more to do with which gender you find attractive rather than which gender you are (though that won't fit everyone either)

14. I am female, and most of my doll plans are female. Id say 3/4 of my plans are for girls? Lol now i think about i only have plans for 3 boys total. I only have one at the moment and she is female. People do seem to collect mostly one or the other, but their personal gender doesnt seem to affect their doll preference.

15. I’m female and have only ever collected female dolls. I’ve never really been interested in collecting male dolls, but who knows, my dolly tastes change over time.

16. I'm pretty down the middle, as I have both genders represented pretty evenly in my crew. My collection is comprised of my various story OCs or existing characters I like, and I've always been more character-driven versus gender driven.

That being said, I do find myself more often drawn to males over females. I have no interest in collecting conventionally pretty or cute girls (as lace, cutesy-ness and traditional femininity don't jive well with me, and sometimes even make me feel uneasy), and of the girls I do have they are either more on the mature/sexy side, dress more formal/business-like, or are tomboys. The one exception to this will be my kitty girl once I get her finished, as she will be wearing more light-weigh styled sundresses and similar (because she'll be kind of based off my cat, and I feel that would be her human-ish version's aesthetic). Although I guess I identify as female, I don't resonate with femininity. I actually relate more to masculine things, or men in general.

So, although I do have female characters I have developed and am quite attached to....I often find myself gravitating most of my attention to my male bjds. I'm also more drawn to androgyny, that grey area not defined by either gender. It's more what I relate to, since I can't really be defined by either traditional gender box.

17. Interesting discussion! I use my dolls to explore fashion in a way I really can't myself (I'm a niqab wearing Muslim woman so I try to dress rather plain and boring and simple). I like to have dolls that can wear all sorts of colors and styles and it's really become a form of expression for me. But their clothes are all unique to who they are as characters. I do collect more boys right now but that's not intentional so much as my plan for boy dolls happens to have more sales. My character creation is fairly even between boys and girls, young and old. I don't think I really follow any trends specifically in that regard. But I do like using my dolls to explore the concept of gender and gender presentation by having a wide variety.

18. I’m a boy and all my dolls so far are boys. I guess it really depends on the person tbh.

19. hmm not true for me! although i do dress my girl in what i wish i could like but am too shy to, so for me thats an outlet for my love for fashion!