1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls and names

May 23, 2008

1. I do that too, once in a while. I keep their mold name until I can think of one I like better. Sometimes the original name just sticks to them and I never do come up with a more suitable one. My human dolls have regular human names, and only my fantasy dolls (elves, vampires, etc.) have strange names.

2. Get a baby name book!!! That's how I come up with ALL my names! *or I read books and I fall in love with those names*!

3. My DM SpiderQueen Bella Auden is named Isabella because even after having her for as long as I have nothing I've come up with seems to fit her. But there is still the possibility that that may change in the future.
      I've also been calling my Heath by that name but a lot of that has to do with the fact that he reminds me very much of a kid I went to college with. So he is kinda ending up Heath by default.

Don't feel bad :) I have a few that I've had for over a year and they still don't have a finalized name yet. Then too their characters are still on the unformed side too so that may have a lot to do with it.

Morgan

4. Forgive me if this is already a topic if you delete.

Has anyone actually used the Company's Default name for their BJD? What do you think of default names and how they come about. How do you know which ones fits and which ones doesn't? Whats your favorite? Opinions?

5. Sometimes the default name tends to stick to the doll. I catch myself still calling my boy 'Luke'. ^^

6. I could've sworn I saw this thread before, but I'm still chipping in my 2 cents xD

I think Dollstown's Estella can gel really well as well as Elfdoll girls, but CP's ones are a little different.. I can't imagine "El", "Yder" and "Breakaway" being used as doll names.. Might be a little odd when mentioning their names in a convo.. :sweat

7. I suppose it depends on wether a dolls default name is something suitable like something you can call the doll in every day life (if your the kind that talk to your dolls, which i do quite often :sweat ).

8. All my dolls have strong characters so they couldnt be called with their default names. I tend to call Dusan "My Saint" every now and again, since Saint was my ultimate dream doll for so long, I kind of need to remind myself I got him after all.

To me, it's very important that I can pronounce the names while speaking finnish, which doesnt agree with "Benetia" very well. It just ends up sounding a bit silly. I didnt name my Benetia until like 3 months after I got her, though.

9. I changed everyones names apart from Sharmin because I had wanted her for about a year and always reffered to the stuation as "wanting Sharmin" (or Chasing Sharmin...lol!) so when she arrived, the name stuck.

It suits her anyway!

I think that it's nice to rename. I called Viyol Madeline, firstly because I don't know how to pronounce it (it might be because i have a southern british accent so it comes out as: "Vile"- which sounds horrid obviously) and secondly because I love that name.

Peanut was called Banning because I thought Peanut was a silly name, and Banning is gaelic for little blonde child.

Finally, Kyrie was going to stay Kyrie until I thought of Snowelle, and it's just stuck (I think she whispered her name to me while I was sleeping.)

10. Except for 2, all my dolls have had their names changed. However Killian & Andrea are the sort of names I'd use anyway & they just seem to fit the dolls.

11. All of mine have names, but I call 2 of them by their mold names instead of using their actual names. My Soom Gena and my DZ Cherry, their mold names just seem to suit them very well!

12. The dolls I have planned are already original characters of mine who go "put me in doll form!" so they already have names.. ^_^;
      (And some interesting ones. Lolli, Satu, Luke and Winter. o_o)

13. I guess it depends. I used call my Tsukasa "Tsukasa" until I finally thought up a name and background story for him. But I know someone who's had a Tsukasa longer than I have, and she still calls him Tsukasa. :)

14. My Arashi is still Arashi, and probably always will be, but Ryung wanted a real name. I did a lot of research on baby name sites until I was able to narrow it down to a list of seven or eight names. The doll had made the final decision, though. She liked the name 'Andrea,' so Andrea she is - Andrea Grace.

From my limited experience with BJD's, I think they let you know if they want a name other than their default one. Being the doll slave I am, I am happy to oblige.

15. The only advice I can give is don't worry about having to keep the initial name for your BJD if you find you don't like it anymore, or if it doesn't fit them. I got lucky with Claire, I decided on her name before she came and it just seemed to fit. I kept the original mold name for Renee because I liked it so much. Lily's name changed about a dozen times before I was able to set on one.

16. All my boys had a name before they got here and I had no problems naming them, but my last one.. god, I'm having such a hard time naming him and he's been through several temp names with no luck, and unfortunately I can't use his headmold name because 'F-08' just wouldn't work XD;;

so he's still nameless TT maybe instead of just calling him 'Boy', I'll call him Ben which means boy in Hebrew >_>

17. The only planned doll that would be called the mold name is Marcia. She's a minifee that just caught my eye and I love how she looks, but she doesn't scream any character I have so she'll be keeping her name.

18. I didn't think I would name my doll. When I saw her, Tsukiko popped into my head. It means moon child which suits her so well, but it's anoying because it's one of the most obvious Japanese names you could think of! I would have preferred to come up with something a bit more unusual but it fits so well that I can't change it now.

19. I have a maaaaaassive interest in names, specifically first names ^__^ (It's kinda geeky, I know!) I'm really picky myself. I felt like I wanted to name my DG Noella before she came home, though ... I hope she still fits the name when she gets here! However, for a while, even though I picked "Lily" (Lily of the Valley is one of my very favourite flowers), I was still calling her by her default mold name. I don't think there's anything wrong with it to do so! Sometimes they just suit you and your doll already! ^__^