1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls and names

May 23, 2008

1. Heh, I just think up names I've either heard before and liked or they just fit together.

2. jajajaj:D just like you jajajaj ;) it suits them i think:aheartbea

3. Nope, my dolls all name themselves. Typically, my decision to get a doll is made by either seeing the photo and having a name pop into my head, or seeing a sculpt and realizing that doll goes with an already-existing name/personality (Zenshin, Hinoko and Tamerlane are/will be those sorts of "recognitions"). Certainly by the time the doll arrives, a name, traits and bits of backstory have started coalescing into a distinct personality. If I didn't know who the doll was, I'd be unlikely to buy it, since I wouldn't know if s/he would fit with the other personalities already in my life.

4. All of my dolls are named. For my first three, I called them after characters I have and it's odd to think of them as their mold names. for the latest one, it took me a week to figure out her name, but I just called her Chibi until I figured out her name was Cosette. >.>

5. I could see me, trying to keep the mold name but I can't help but create my own name.
      Yet,
      I've never really thought about keeping the mold name. Very cute, idea... Like I said I would try but, it wouldn't work out well.

6. All my dolls are based after prexisting characters I've long since created, so their names have been chosen long before they come home to live with me. At one point I did consider giving Fakia the last name of Ivanov since his sculpt is a Homme Ivan and I thought it would have been cute to have that connection, but in the end, it came down to either either Ivanov or KaMaskhadov...the latter one. x3 So other than that the original names don't really come into play, but since Elijah, Prince and Sethos still don't have last names I may also consider incorporating their original sculpt name, but for now it's still up in the air.

7. Well, my SD 16 kept his mold name - I call him Yuki though, rather than Yukinojo. It means snow and I live way up north and it just seemed right for him, so he got stuck with it. But all my other dolls have been given their own names, unrelated to their molds.

8. I'm happily in the middle! I name my dolls but call them their mold names at times.. kinda like nick-names XD

I guess I'm a little odd >w<

9. I love coming up with names just for the fun of it so it would seem like a little bit of a waste to just go with the mold name. Though I did cycle through several names before I got my doll and just knew looking at him he had to be Halerin.

10. Well, I renamed my DZ Mo, but I'm planning on getting a Kid Delf Ani and I'm keeping his name, as well as (hoping) to get a Volks SD Cute "Kurt" and keeping his name too.

11. *raises hand*
      My Puff (Volks YoSD) remains Puff :lol:
      His puffy cheeky wouldn't have it otherwise!
      And also because I'd gotten so used to calling this mould by the company name during the time I spent drooling over his pictures.

12. For awhile I called my AOD Rao doll by simply Rao before I changed her name to Reina and I still call her Rao or Rao-zors sometimes just out of habit. There is nothing wrong with keeping the mold name, I personally like naming them something different. My first doll went through 4 names before he stuck with the one he has now. It just takes some time to find the one that's just right!

13. Well, if she is anything like 7 of 9 ... then Hell yeah!!!!!! ;)

....ooof! Sorry.

14. That's a cool link! thanks!

15. Javi is a cute enough name, though I like other names better so I'll probably rename him. F-16 is a distinctly less appealing name, so I'm definitely renaming that guy when I get him. xD

16. I can't PRONOUNCE Vee's mould name. So it doesn't make sense to call him it.

For a while I was stuck between the names Varick and Jae. But I chose Varick in the end. Because the way he's planned on looking doesn't match the name Jae.

Although, I dunno. It may change once he EVENTUALLY gets here!

17. XD Bahahaha! Whoo, that cracked me up XD

Now I'm more than determined to bring the lovely UH-14 home, looks like she won't need renaming after all x3

18. Hm I named my B&G Sharon Keeth.
      That was the very first name that popped up in my head when I saw him <3
      And he of course has his very own backgroundstory and so on.

19. Well, Michiko's mold name is Mimi. Sometimes I call her that because it's cute and sounds like a nickname.

Liv, I keep wanting to call her by her mold name Silvia because I forget the name I gave her. xDD;;;

20. I couldn't think of a name that suited my doll more than its mold name (hodoo) for about the first month or so (because i'd just got so used to saying it when talking about the mold i liked before i owned the doll), and now he has a personal name n, my friends and I still call him hodoo ocationly !

I think names are really special and important, but can never explain why! A sense of belonging i suppose.