1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls and names

May 23, 2008

1. Faye is named Faye for Morgan le Fay from the legends of King Arthur, and also because a Faye is like a fairy or a nymph of sorts, and she has elf ears so it's appropriate.

2. "Hisui" means "Jade" in Japanese, fyi. :)

My most recent acquisition, a Soom Lazule, is named Xavier. Not the mangled English pronunciation of "Ecks-avier" but more like the proper Spanish soft "H" sound on the first syllable. His nickname is Xavy. I may just change it to Javier, but the pronunciation would be the same.

3. My post got lost somewhere whilst the topic was moved... Long story short...

I kept Jiao's original mold name as I liked that it stands for the Chinese "Horn" constellation and it's also a kind of Chinese dragon.

My Pullip Dal is called Tamsin out of love and admiration for our friend Tamsin from Leeds. She is also a doll collector, and she's going through a rough time as her Mom is fighting cancer. I want my doll to represent all the good things the "original" Tams is doing for her family (with an attitude!).

4. When I was saving up for my Souldoll Tae, I kept referring to him and thinking of him as Tae. When I was actually very close to getting him, the name had already stuck. I starting thinking of ways to add to it, and that's when he became Tae-Jun. :)
      The same thing almost happened with my Ryu before I had definitely decided what character he would be. *_*

5. For me, I had a name picked out before I even bought my baby.
      But he recently got a came change. Again. This is the third name/character change and I hope it sticks xD
      Right now his name is Rave Louis Malachi. He's a Dollzone Yuu. Yuu is a nice name but IMO it's a little too overused for me. ^____^;
      With some dolls I could see calling them by their sculpt names though. So you're not alone!

6. The mold names seem very important to me, so I try to keep something of them in the new names I give my dolls. Mostly I've been using them in some form as last names, and I think that's how I see the original mold names. Most of us have last names that say a lot but where we come from in an ancestral point of view, so I've tried to keep that for my dolls.

My first BJD, a Soulkid Apple, is named Ichigo Sagwa. I have to admit, the name Apple really sold her to me, she looked so cute with a fruit name, so I renamed her Ichigo (Strawberry) to reflect that, and her last name is Sagwa, which is Korean for apple.

My Elfdoll Wu is Kaoru Amemiya. When I waiting for him to get to me, I was looking at the Elfdoll webpage and it was talking about how the name Wu came from the Chhinese character for rain. Well, one of my favorite kanji in Japanese is the one for rain (and the same as Chinese), so now Kaoru still has the original mold name in his last name.

I'd like to continue to do the same thing for all the dolls I eventually acquire, since it allows them a new, individual identity but with a reminder (at least to me) of where they came from. Sorry this was a long post, lol, I've just thought a lot about the whole name process for my "kids".

7. I was tempted to keep the mold name with one of my dolls, but in the end I thought it would be better to give him a name form the country that he was coming from. He is a DIM Lloyd. I think I might name my next male doll Lloyd in honor of him though. It's just such a cute name!

8. I used to collect Bleeding Edge dolls which came with their own names, and I stuck with that. But when buying my Pullips, then Dals and finally BJDs I decided that I would have to imprint some sense of individuality on them, so I give them names. My MNF girls have names that took a while to pick, but the girl I'm saving up for was very vocal as to what her name was going to be.

9. I didn't like the idea of giving full or long names to dolls until I saw your signature. They're really beautiful and unique. :aheartbea

10. Thank you :) It was only when I was preparing to buy the twins that I went for a long name. But when talking to the boyfriend/parent/anyone who will listen they are just Tiggy and Phe (and soon there will be Del). Like a Siamese cat with a pedigree name who is lovingly called Tibbles :lol:

11. I have three dolls and used all the original names. (Cian, Shiwoo, and Sky.) I personally found that the orginal names suited them best. Besides, when I was anticipating ordering them, I started calling them by the original names and could never stop. xD

12. I think I'm going to wait until I order my doll to name her. And I usually use the already suggested baby naming sites when I name just about anything. I was sure yesterday what the doll I wanted was going to Sarah and I was going to make her up in the likeness of Sarah Williams from the 80's movie Labyrinth (but now I'm not so sure). haha But I think after her I'm going to start making my own characters with their own names. Naming things has always been hard for me. I had a dog for about a year and I think I went through about 7 names. Poor dear! xD

13. It's funny, I do tend to think of my dolls as their mold names. It's funny. I hope that doesn't happen too often. I guess I'm just not that good with names really.

14. I really like to name things with names that have some historical meaning or a name from a piece of classic literature. My new girl will theoretically be named Nimue (Nim for short). Nimue is an alternate name for the Lady of the Lake from Arthurian legend...again. It's been a complete random happenstance that both my girls have gotten Arthurian names.

15. If anyone needs help with names try out 20000-names.com. It's always a great help

16. Hm, interesting responses. I didn't know so many people keep the dolls production name. Me, I pick their names based on the character of mine they're modeled after. Like my LeeKeWorld Romeo will be named Adrian.

17. I never keep the names the dolls are sold by. None of them fit any of my dolls' particular characters or personalities. Coming up with names is a bit difficult, however. I like to pick names that relatively no one else has, and that can be difficult with the amount of dolls on this board.

18. If I get the DD Rin that I want, I will keep her name because I like it so much. However, my husband and I are already referring to her as the nickname Rinchan (-chan being a Japanese honorific). I will probably refer to her as that most of the time.

I think it will always depend on the doll for me. If the name seems to fit, I will keep it. But otherwise I will change it. I'm pretty good with names as a writer (another of my hobbies) so it's no big deal.

19. My doll is Angell Studio's Lucifer, and I couldn't come up with a name for a long time so I always called him Lucifer. Then I decided for Azrael, but I was already so very used to Lucifer! I've forced myself to always call him Azrael, even if it became "Lucif-- ehh I mean, Azrael!"... And now I'm pretty used to it. But he will always be slightly Lucifer for me.

I wouldn't ever want to keep the original name of the doll, because it wouldn't feel that special anymore. I heard they say that a bear is born the day it receives it's name... And I think that applies to dolls too ^^

20. I tend to think about names, a lot.

In the case of Cuprit though, I looked at my husband and we both said "Iliad". The name probably will stick.

For Ducan it was a total accident, I have dyslexia so some of my letters get mixed up, it just slipped out one night "Duncan is coming home ^^" my husband looked at me funny at first then said "That's a great name for him and he does remind me of that character you were talking about for your book." The name stuck. Now my nameless hero for my story has a name, that's kind of backwards in a way.

Probably the best names are the accidental ones that you just say without thinking about it.