1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls as...Rewards?

Apr 26, 2010

1. I'm thinking of buying myself a doll as a reward for getting a full-time job this summer since I'm graduating college next month.

2. My very first doll was a reward... for saving up every penny it cost to buy him instead of spending it on something else! Lol. In all seriousness, though, I don't think I've ever gone the rout of "If I do such-and-such, I'll buy myself X-doll". But this is mostly because, much like JennyNemesis, I tend to flail after LEs and FCS sculpts. :sweat So when the stars align (translation: when I've got enough funds saved up and I find a member of my wishlist for sale somewhere) I'll buy one regardless of whether I've "earned it" or not, so to speak.

3. In August last year, my partenst said that, if i can graduate from collage with an "A" i can buy myself the doll what i really want. I printed a company picture of The doll, put it on my wall in fornt of my desk where im usually learning, and it helped me :D Every time when i got tired, i looked at the picture and i got energy for study :D And when i passed the exam with an "A" my parents got me the doll, as a surprise for christmas, and graduation. O.o They ordered it two months ago, because they new that i will get the score what i want on the exam.... :D It was the best present ever! So my "little' Jake helped me to study a lot! :)

4. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!
      So I must have been in school when Hot Topics was REALLY hot... as in molten. ;) I'm also from the "honor roll is just *expected*" era. The only time I ever got rewarded was for rectifying my math grade in 2nd grade -- and it turned out that it actually took getting eyeglasses to do that, not the reward. (Couldn't see the dang board...)

I dunno, though! I kinda LIKE the idea of rewarding oneself with a doll for some really hard to accomplish accomplishment! 100 pounds seems so difficult -- I'm about 30 pounds over the completely unrealistic "ideal" weight they want me to be at, and I'm having a ridiculous time getting any of it gone. Maybe that would be a good goal -- "no more until you've EARNED it, ya lazybutt!" :)

Koitten, my hat is definitely off to you because that's an incredible challenge and a fabulous goal. :)

5. My boyfriend has spoiled me with dolly goodies as rewards for things. If I've completed a huge job at work or gone through something pretty substantial he'll say "Reward yourself babe! Buy something for your dollies!". I usually have an order placed 5 minutes after he says those words... lol.

6. I fell in love with Iplehouse's Tania sculpt last year. I knew I needed to have her. But I couldn't justify buying her - the $300 price tag was just too daunting.

Then, as I started to work on my fantasy novel, I realized the sculpt would be perfect for one of the characters in the book. But I was afraid that I'd buy the doll and never finish the novel, because I tend to start more projects than I actually finish. So I told myself that no matter what, I couldn't buy the doll until the first draft was complete.

Now, nearly a year later, the first draft is finished (at 90k words!) and out for review, and as of tomorrow I should have enough saved up to finally bring her home to me. :D

7. I'm gonna be ordering my doll after I lose like 3 inches off my waist.
      So for I've lost one inch (so I know), then it's dolly wig time!!

8. I haven't yet but maybe I might ask for a Doll for passing my University degree (in two years time), gives me something to look forward to.

9. I hate my job, but I earn a lot of money, so every 6 months or so that I have this shitty job I can spend a pay check on dolls guilt free

10. LOL *high five effigy* THAT's how I should make the time go by! I've been at my current job for just over a year and a half, and I'm waiting on my 2nd doll to come in... but I think I blew my first six-month celebration on a new computer. :B Guess we'll see how I'm doing in August!

11. I can see how the LE hunters wouldn't really be able to follow any kind of goal setting for doll buying. And I'll be honest, if I have the cash to hand and a new Soom monthly comes up that I love to peices? Well that's a whole other ballgame!!
      It's why I chose a standard doll, one that I really want for how adorable he is but never before had reason to buy him since I'm triyng to go by the 'perfect sculpt for a character' buying plan. And I don't have any Child characters.
      So for me a Bisou is a 'I want it just because it's pretty!!!' but need to earn it scenario. And since getting to an average size is one of those life turn around-events I know I need to work for...extra incentive never hurts!

12. Good luck with the housework, it can be pretty overwhelming trying to organize everything when you have little ones around.

13. My Isabella was a reward for studying for my citizenship test and passing it even though I had swine flu. (I didn't take it while I was still infectious, obviously, but I was still in the forever dragging after-flu malaise.)

I started doing that, lost focus after a lot of things went wrong and I started comfort eating and ordered a doll anyway, and I need to start again. I should get my BMI below 25 to help my body conceive. You'd think Baby would be a reward enough, but unfortunately changing my weight won't guarantee conception, and I get depressed (and eat) if I think about it too hard. So... Planetdoll Riz looks like a nice prize.

My mother used to find out how much Weight Watchers membership was and put aside that amount of money every week she stuck to her diet, to spend on clothes or Armani figurines. Doing that for dolls makes sense.

14. My main thrill in this hobby is to hunt down LE's. So, when I've done or achieved something I'm proud of that is the moment I start hunting. I already have the money set aside, now all I need is a good deal. Sometimes this means I get my reward many months after the reason I deserved it, but now I have a good chase I can look back on, a nice doll and something to remember because of that doll.

15. I have the opposite to reward buying, which is awful. but I went through a very rough patch with my husband and every time I got angry with him, I would buy another doll. Sounds extremely passive aggressive, and it was, but it got me through and things are much better now. Now I only buy doll *things* when I am unhappy :) My last doll revenge just arrived - a dollshe bernard, from a fight about 6 months ago lol. Hes really beautiful!

16. yes i've tried it..it's like 2 years ago. I asked her to buy a BJD for me. She said that it's expensive yada yada and there isn't any occasion at that time. And then, i came up with an idea that she can buy that for me as a graduation gift. She agreed with the idea. I waited for 2 years :D Right now, my little boy is coming :D

17. I am notorious for coping with stress through retail therapy. I love the actual act of acquisition and the hunting it requires. It makes me happy and it being able to concentrate for a bit on something that is not related to the stress always helps me get back on track.

Count me in as well as one of the oldies who never got anything for getting good grades. My reward was my mother not guilt tripping for not doing well enough. And even then, I wasn't always in the clear. I still remember "Kim, math is one of your best subjects. Why do you only have a 98 in calculus?"

18. I like to buy things. I tend to avoid the "reward" scenario for expensive purchases, though, because I didn't find that type of thinking to be productive. It suggests that I have to do something to "deserve" an expensive purchase, which is too close to the guilt trip my Depression-era parents used to impose on me about spending. Part of my enjoyment of buying dolls is to have the spending be guilt-free and drama-free and really without a whole lot of agonizing over it. There's also a potential practical problem: back when I used to plan to buy something (like an expensive clothing item) as a "reward" for myself I would often find out that it had suddenly gone out of stock, so there I was with no prize and it made me feel bad.

I just tell myself at the start of the time period (like a month) I'm going to buy 0, 1 or 2 dolls this month, and then adjust the number if I feel like it's too many or too few (like if my dream doll suddenly pops up in the Market).

19. Maybe a doll reward would help me. I have some goals I'm struggling with too. Not because of the cost, but to be a nice treat.

20. I've never really thought of dolls in this manner but I doubt that now that I have I will start to. I can view dolls as gifts for special occasions such birthdays, anniversaries or holidays, but never as an incentive to get something done. The actual end to whatever it is one is trying to achieve should be a goal enough or else is seems one didn't really want it anyway.

The closest I've come to a doll as a reward was graduating high school where I recieved enough money (not specificially given to me for him ) to buy my first doll. Even so, it's tradition around here to be given money after graduation, and I graduated within 2 days of my 18th birthday so I consider him as one large gift for both occassions. Needless to say it's not as though I graduated for the sake of getting a doll.

I have to admit the idea of being bribed with a doll for something as essential and basic as earning good grades or keeping ones room clean or even just doing ordinary chores around the house is both depressing and laughable to me. I didn't realize that although I'll only be turning 21 in a couple months, maybe I really am from a completely world than the generation of teens these days.