1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls as...Rewards?

Apr 26, 2010

1. This year I told myself that if I passed all my uni papers, I'd let myself buy a new doll - I can't actually afford to right now, but it did give me something to work towards, so it really helped with doing my assesments and really trying hard. I'm going to now do my best to save up the amount needed for my new guy, so that I can get him and reward myself for passing everything :D I may use the same technique next year so that I can try and finish my degree with good marks hehe.

2. I was working on a big project all summer and into the autumn, and I kept telling myself that when I was finished, I would reward myself by splurging and buying a second doll. The project was finished in mid-October, but then came Hurricane Sandy and the cleanup. In my area, we still have not recovered. I could say that I feel less inclined to spend that much money on a toy for myself, and maybe that's true. I think what's really holding me back is that playing with one of these toys would feel too much like work right now -- cleaning, sanding, painting, etc.

But the big project from the summer was and is finished, so the doll served as motivation even though I didn't buy it!

3. thats not a bad idea. but i suck that holding out... if i did that i would probably cave after a few days and buy the doll... ^^;

4. I started talking about dolls with my mother yesterday and I brought up the idea of getting a doll again today. Since I am going to sit for a major examination next year, she agreed to buy me a doll if my results were good ( Like five to six A,not all A, that's too much to ask from me)

5. Well, yeah. The only times I buy BJDs or any dolls at all is when I feel I deserve it. I kinda use them to push myself on to getting things done.

My first BJD was bought because I did well in school and life at that point. If I had messed up royally, I couldn't have brought myself to buy her yet. As for my second yet-to-arrive doll, he was wanted for a long time but actually bought because I sold one of my paintings for a little more than he cost, and felt that I could spend the extra money on him without worry. So it's not quite a reward in the strictest sense, but still sort of.

I use things I want to reward myself, otherwise I'd never get things done. That's just me ^^

6. I guess you could say I am buying myself a doll as a reward. I spent the last four years without paying work, though I took care of my mother 24/7, she was a chronically depressed bed ridden invalid with agoraphobia and COPD(Chronic Obstructive Pulmomary Disorder), caused by smoking heavily for 50 years... she died in February of lung cancer. I was terrified of going back into the job market after being away so long, and I live in an isolated rural area with no job market to speak of. I had never had a driver's license although I am in my late 40's. With the help of an amazing friend, I learned to drive, got my drivers license and found a good job. I bought my first car, and then started saving for an Iplehouse Carina. I got an email yesterday saying that she would be shipped this week and will arrive next week. So, you could say I bought her as a reward... or maybe as a celebration?

7. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person who does this :D I usually set some kind of goal or significance for each doll I buy. My latest boy was my reward for graduating college but some of my previous dolls have been rewards for good grades or getting through something I found particularly difficult, like public speaking or something similar.

8. My first BJD will be a reward for myself for getting through the first half of my senior year of college. One week of hard work left and I can buy her. Partly its because Soom's X-mas kits make a tan Uyoo, a stringing tool to put her together and a case for her with shipping cost less than she usually does by herself. I might get a Puki Puki as a graduation gift for myself. It's much easier to justify a reward that costs less than $300!

9. I do this a lot. Right now my big incentive is to make the entire cost from selling crafts, which isn't going well between school and housekeeping. I don't think I've made a single thing all quarter, and I definitely haven't sold any.

10. Actually I do, or have in the past. The doll I have on layaway right now is a birthday treat to myself. :)

11. Most my dolly are gifts to me

12. I'm try loss weight right now. For award would be new RS-Rong body for my BBB-Ariel head. I started at 190 lb, but in end I want be lest 131 lb. For each pound I loss it $3, but for each pound gain I loss $3. The dolly is about $178 with shipping on Junkyspot. Wish me luck.

[​IMG]

13. Almost all of my dolls were meant as a reward. Be it a reward because I got my diploma, got my first job as a writer, started my doll business, or a pat on the back because I did something that was difficult for me.

It really adds to the experience, I think, when you buy a doll to celebrate something. And (for me anyway) it helps me to remember those moments.

14. Hello. I was wondering if anyone else has used BJDs as a reward for wanted behavior? *_* I need motivation to get to the gym and I have made a deal with myself (which I made sure my husband was ok with) that for every 20lbs I lose I get a BJD to add to my collection. This may seem odd to some but I just do better when I have a motivator besides "Looking better".. I am 5'7" and weigh 246lbs. My goal is to lose 80lbs which is just about what I was while I was serving in the military. So I can get a total of 4 dolls. I haven't decided which 4 dolls I want but I am going to be looking around and trying to see which dolls will complete my doll family. I thought that we could give each other positive feedback and encouragement for what ever it is you are rewarding. Clean house, Exercise, Reading more.. the sky is the limit. Now let me go and research the dolls that I will be wanting to add to my family. I started exercising yesterday and did 5min elliptical.. it kills me and 20min of the bike. Good Luck to all that join me. :)

15. An awesome idea! :)
      I kinda do it the other way around, I get dolls to get motivated ;)

16. Oooh, what an idea! :D I would love to join you, I'd like to lose 3 or 4 pants sizes to get back into my pre-child wardrobe. We have a treadmill here at home, and after talking with my husband, we decided that every 1,000 calories burned / reduced from my daily intake is $5 saved toward my next doll.

What worked when I was a size 2 (imagine!) was keeping a food journal. It made me super self-aware of portion sizes, amount of food, etc etc. I think I'll start tracking that again to help!

Yay us! We can do it!

17. I've got nothing on my wishlist atm for dolls, but good luck! It's an awesome idea. I just rewarded myself for losing 15lbs with getting my navel pierced, lol. ;)

18. Oh, that's pretty cool!

Good luck!

19. I'm with this motivation program! I have some social anxiety issues and I'm moving out of state to a college where I will know exactly two people and I put a doll on layaway as motivation to do better with my social skills. Working on skills via work study and classes will hopefully help me later when I want to start my career :) And if this flops and my social skills don't improve, then hey, I got a cool doll buddy to talk too

20. Well I have decided that my EID Luo is going to be my incentive to lose 100 pounds. From my top weight, I am now down 33 pound. I need ta save about $10 for every pound and I'm hoping to convince hubby to buy his clothes and mom to pay the shipping. Or vice versa. LOL