1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls Based Off "Yourself"

Dec 6, 2019

1. Uhhh...I cosplayed as my favourite doll (avatar pic) over the weekend. I think it was fairly close. We both have similar complexions, hair styles, eye colour and he's wearing hipster 1970s clothes that I happened to also own and wear. Except I have a fantastic girlish figure and he does not (being a doll and boyish and all).

2. I only have one doll that is based on me slightly. Well, they are based on one of my chronic diseases. Because I always had trouble with doctors telling me I should just learn to live with it I decided to turn that specific disease into a character as good as I could. Turns out I did connect to that doll pretty fast for some reason. It helps to complain to them once in a while to try and cope with the disease. Pretty weird, I know. I originally didn't want to cause harm to any of my characters by 'diagnosing' them with a disease like that because I know how horrid it can be but in the end it did work out for the best.

3. I don't have a doll that looks like me, however I do have a doll that I tend to dress in a style similar to myself. I dress most of my dolls in clothes I wouldn't normally wear myself (one of the things I like about dolls is being able to explore different types of fashion through them), but she's the exception.

4. I do actually have a doll that's based on myself. I had been toying on and off of making a self-portrait sculpture to use in the future as an urn, kind of based off of ancient Egyptian canopic jars. Then, I was going through an extreme bout of depression, so I thought I wouldn't have time to finish and decided to just use one of my existing dolls instead. The extreme depressive state passed (helped along with the wait for a doll that hasn't currently arrived yet), but I did end up styling the chosen doll as a young me. Now, she's the avatar of my inner child. It's actually been VERY therapeutic to have my inner child as an external entity that I can see, it reminds me to take care of myself.

5. Do you have a doll that is you, so to speak?
      Nope/not yet. I've seen some with my name that I considered for that reason, but not close enough in looks.

Or do you have a doll that is someone you want to be?
      Not yet, but I sorta want one now that you've given me the idea. Granted I don't *really* want limbs like a Doll Chateau doll, buuuut I'd like a spooky standin for my avatar 'character'. I think my boyfriend might object though, haha!

If someone does, do you think it is vain?
      Yes, but being vain isn't bad in my mind. Not knowing you are vain is worse imo. It's just another form of self preservation- would you fight and defend yourself if you didn't like your self? By understanding your selfishness, you understand also other's selfishness, and you can listen to their tirades about their beautiful dolls. After all... you know exactly how they feel. Yours are totally the best.

6. I think an "ideal self" can be a neat idea to have for a doll but, I think I'm kinda boring, I'd like at the very least elf ears!! xD (and maybe wings! Yay!) I also have a hooked nose that I think wouldn't look very pretty on a doll to me. I do kinda love some of my moles, so it'd be cool to add them to a doll! Now I'm kinda liking the idea xD I did use to have a character that looked like she could be my sister, so I don't have a problem with that really, but I greatly prefer fantasy dolls. Ahh maybe some weird fantasy sculpt with my moles would be a cool idea!

7. No plan for make a mini me. I like more to create something I can't be. :) But I like to make green eyes in different shades. My boy's got green eyes and my second doll will have green eyes too. I have green eyes too.

#27 Triexiz, Dec 25, 2019
      Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    8. I never actually thought about it, but as I read this I think I've created my ideal self in a doll without even realizing it :frownyblush:

9. I have a doll of my character, Saskia, and although she’s not ‘me’ she is the character that’s closest to me & I picture her as looking very similar and sharing a lot of traits. So I suppose she counts.

10. My doll does remind me of myself as a child, although he's male and I'm female (I was always a tomboy). But he's a lot cooler than I was at his age! I didn't deliberately base him on myself, but he kind of ended up that way as I made him into a character I could easily relate to.

11. I do not and I don’t think I will. Though I think it’s neat to see others doll selves! I do find myself drawn to only have dark haired wigs and I have brown hair so maybe kinda in that? They also wear clothes that I like. But other than that, nah.

12. I only have one BJD but I have a modest size doll collection. Some of my dolls have many of my traits and others have only a few but I believe that because their spirits were "crafted" by me that they all possess a piece of me.

I have been thinking lately, though, that I might want to have a doll who is more like me. We will see if that happens.

13. You could say Sam, my Impldoll Azalea, is sort of who/how I want to be. Her character is part-based around me, as it stands already. It's how I came to create her for the story, inserting myself but how I want to be. But, she has green eyes, instead of my brown.

I do have one doll that has brown eyes, D.J., who is without a face-up or permanent body at the moment. He's based loosely on a character that might be included in Sam's story; I've got to go back to it and decide what I'm actually doing with that narrative. If I abandon it, I won't get rid of the dolls. The dolls have become almost separate to the story. And, their characters are quite elevated in esteem. My avatar is Ethan, Sam's boyfriend, and I swore as soon as he came in that he wouldn't be leaving. Same with Sam. The others are pretty much on the firing line all the time.

And, I'm turning this into a different thread... In short, yes, I have dolls that share elements of their appearance with me or represent how I wish I could see myself in a mirror. I suppose, in a sense, we are putting a little bit of ourselves into each of the original character dolls we own.

14. I don't have a doll that looks like me, but whoever designed the fullset for Gem of Doll's Beryl and took the company photos must know me personally.

I mean, I obviously don't have antlers, but otherwise. ;)

15. I don’t have a doll that I based fully on me but I did have a doll that I thought I wanted to give her a lot of moles on her face up because I personally have that and so I patterned them on mine because I thought that would make them look sufficiently random lol.

16. I actually ordered a doll last night that I’m hoping to have be my inner child, I’m working on re-parenting and thought a physical embodiment might make it easier to start.

17. My first doll is the one in which I have always reflected who I wanted to be in terms of looks mostly.
      Ironically, since the day I bought her, 7 years ago, till now, she has changed to look like me more than I have changed to be like her, so I guess that means I have started to like myself more than that ideallistic image I had ^w^

18. I've done something similar with one of my grails. I can tell you, it does, especially when the doom and gloom thoughts start rising.

19. Good to have confirmation, I was a little worried I was just trying to make an excuse to get a doll. But had my therapist’s enthusiastic endorsement

20. I think what's it's been best for is, when things get really hard and I'm not sure I can do it anymore, I can look at her and go, "No, she deserves better." It reminds me that I deserve better, so I find the strength to do better. My inner child doll is probably the one that means the most to me now, she's helped me so much!