1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls based on real people

Mar 9, 2017

1. I don’t have dolls inspired by real people, but I have seen a bjd with Peter Capaldi's face and I would like to buy it very much! Peter is my favorite actor!:D

2. None of my dolls look like real people, but I've named several of my dolls after beloved family members.
      My SD girl Dora-Maude is named after my maternal grandmother, Dora Maude. Dora's "daughter" YOSD Alice is named for my paternal grandmother.
      I also named my SD boy Ivan after my uncle. I adored my uncle Ivan very much, and miss him terribly. Having a doll named for him, makes me think about my uncle and how dear he was.

3. I don't have any people dolls (or a doll in-hand yet), but I do have some video game characters in mind that I want to make into dolls. They're not stylized video games though, I mean, a couple of the ones I have in mind were done via mo-cap, including for the face. So, in a way it kind of is like a real-person doll. I'm not sure if anyone will say anything... it's not a super popular game. Guess I'll find out when I get around to it.

4. Do you have any dolls based on, or made to look a like an actual real human?
      Yes - I've dolls which were sculpted based on real people, and my characters are all cosplayers so I do dress them up as various real people/characters in TV & film. I'm going to do a shoot w/dolls looking like Zeppelin (cause I totally have wigs for Plant & Page...) and I'd love to do one w/KPop Idols (I've been drooling over the Distant Memory BTS boys, but I'm out of cash)

If so who do you have and what sculpt are they?
      Since Iplehouse & Souldoll like to slyly offer sculpts that are based off real celebrities, I have lots. IH Dexter (yep, Michael C. Hall), IH Zera (Shin Min Ah), IH Bichun (Ji Chang Wook), Souldoll Onulhara (Lee Jong Suk), Souldoll Henry (Lee Dong Wook), & Souldoll YunKi (SHINee's Key). Plus, I have an Elfdoll Lovely Rita head, who's real-life counterpart is Lee Ha Na.. I also bought Rosen Garden Rui (TVXQ's Changmin) and Simply Divine Tatsuo (Ji Sung). I happen to like buying minimee heads for the older characters in my doll story, so I've got a Rumpelstiltskin (whoever that actor is), a Sara Jane Smith and a Jeremy Northram.

How have people reacted?
      The same way people react to BJDs in general. Except for Changmin, who people recognized. I've friends very interested in seeing Key when he arrives, as well. Most people do nod when I point out who Dexter was modeled after, but they don't see it right away. Of course, none of my human inspired sculpts are meant to BE those people (although I've got my IH Bichun dressed as the Healer LOL cause, Renji's a cosplayer extraordinaire)

Was it difficult finding a sculpt that fit?
      I'm having a horrible time trying to find a Kim Jae Joong sculpt LOL But actually I wasn't LOOKING to get minimee sculpts so no, my difficulties have always been getting sculpts that fit my own ideas on what my characters should look like.

5. I made a tiny version of hide from Xjapan with my chibi-hide-chan made from a latiyellow kuroo. He doesn't really look the same but he's cute and I love him. I'm wondering about a modoll hide but 70cm doll is too big for me!

6. When I'm creating characters for my stories, I find that it helps to find an existing face to model them on. It helps me to visualise them in scenes and strengthen them from 'just a name'. So, it's like I'm casting the film version in my mind, as I'm writing it. Or, sometimes, I'll have the visual in my mind, but I need a physical image to strengthen it and the character.

Therefore, you could say that my OC dolls are inspired by, not wholly based on, real people. I look for sculpts with similarities in the 'actors' for those characters. But, I don't go looking for sculpts based on existing celebrities. I think people would just see the celebrity and not my character, no matter how much I try to disguise it with styling for that character. For example, if I pick Jensen Ackles as the base of a character, and I purchase the Jensen Ackles head sculpt from MODOLL on Etsy, people would just see the actor [or Dean from Supernatural] no matter what I do styling-wise. So, I go for some similarities [nose, mouth, jawline, etc.] without going full-on mirror-image of the person.

7. I have been trying to find a Helena by Luts to work into a mini-me, so I suppose that counts although I'm not a celebrity of any kind LOL. I feel she would help me to build up my self esteem, not to mention how cute it is to me to match clothing with your dolls!

8. I have dolls sculpted to look like real people and one I based on a real person (though it's a chibi version and not a 100% accurate representation lmao).

There are my Buck-Tick boys: Atsushi, Doll in Mind Minimee Sakurai Atsushi (who is sculpted to look like Sakurai, the vocalist) and Chibi Imai, Fairyland LittleFee Ante (who is based on one of the guitarists, Imai, but the sculpt itself isn't modeled after him at all)...here they are.

I have a Hannibal, who is a Namonaki Workshop Mikkel (which is sculpted after Mads Mikkelsen).

I also have two sculpts that were definitely modeled after Mads Mikkelsen, though I don't have them as any character he's been. They're Granado Agent Mads (the Mad Scientist is the same sculpt and looks even more like him lol) and Granado V-07 (Balthazar and Ásbjörn, respectively).

And, I have Tatsuro, who is modeled after the vocalist of Mucc, but he isn't him (even though he's named after him and painted to look like one of his looks in a certain PV lmao, which that linked screenshot is from. He's a Luts/CP Delf El)

People have reacted fine, even to the ones I have modeled after the real people. Though, someone thought Atsushi was Lestat (talking the Tom Cruise version, here...still don't know how they saw that lmao). And a local collector thought Tatsuro was scary, which I thought was amusing since I've always found him cute lol.
      It wasn't difficult finding the ones I have modeled after the real people, since there were sculpts made for them (and in Chibi Imai's case I just chose whichever one I felt was best). I got lucky finding Atsushi, though, since I missed the group order and the sculpt was limited to 10 (if I remember right).

9. One doll I recently came across was the Tender Creation, “Flame”. She is a spitting image of Emilia Clarke. I was very impressed by the likeness!

10. Yes, I happened to find dolls similar to my niece and nephew not meaning too.haha

11. I have one doll that is based on my dog :whee: its not a person but it is a living thing. I wanted a tan minifee and my dogs fur is black, so I got a tan minifee rendia that was in stock on Denver Doll Emporium and gave her a dark makeup and black wig. Her name is Emily because my dog's name is Emmie :kitty1

12. Oh wow! I would love a sculpt that looks like Atsushi !! Please let me know where to find one. I’m not talented and not artistic so I definitely can’t make my own.

13. Honestly I don’t mind owning a sculpt that is sculpted after a celebrity or to look like one. For me, it’s not that I want to own a mini version of people I can’t have (<——that’s a fib :lol:) it’s for memories of being a fan of that person. :dance I mean it also keeps the fandom alive throughout the years even after the shine is gone. Does that make sense? I guess you could say for die-hard fans out there (me included) having that mini version of their favorite celebrity is a way to show their love for them. Also what if you have a story or character ideas that needs certain celebrities as part of their story? Right? There’s no harm in it.

14. As far as I know, there aren't any readily available sculpts of Atsushi. You'd have to find one secondhand or commission an artist to make one.

15. :XD::XD:
      Thank you! I was actually wondering about commissioning an artist to make a sculpt too! Now is who to trust that can make a perfect sculpt for me right? :XD:

16. Yeah, finding the right artist is the hard part. Of the various Atsushi sculpts I've seen, the Doll in Mind one is still my favorite and looks the most like him in my opinion. I may be biased, though lol

17. I love seeing realistic bjd dolls based on the Supernatural show, like Dean, Sam, and Castiel figures.

18. I have a couple of Real Action Figure dolls that are sculpts of real people and I would love to someday have BJDs in the likeness of my own children. I would love to see more realistic BJDs. I would definitely consider buying a doll that was sculpted after a public figure I like, a singer or actor etc. I guess because my dolls are displayed and not played with so don't really have characters it doesn't matter in that sense.