1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls becoming family heirlooms?

Dec 6, 2007

1. I won't be having kids, so I'll let the people who outlive me figure out what to do with a bunch of "funny looking dolls." ;)

If I die suddenly (and hopefully in a blaze of glory!) then my dolls are going to Nenya.

2. It's kind of nice to think about my child/children one day playing with my dolls. But say for example I give my SD to my teenage daughter and she changes him to a completely different character. I don't mind the fact that she changed him...in fact, I would strongly encourage her to use her creativity. But I think just seeing this doll as someone different after spending so many years as my own character would be weird. In this case, I would prefer helping my child pick out a new doll.

If my family had no interest in my dolls, then I'd rather have them be sold to collectors or placed on display at a museum or something. To me, it's most important that they somehow be shared and not stored in a relative's attic. Although the idea of having my great-great grandchild stumbling upon a beautiful doll in her uncle's attic is also immensely appealing. :)

3. I thought about this before, and I definately think that I would like my doll to be an heirloom after I've passed away. I have dolls that were passed from many many generations back, and I think that it will be nice to continue the tradition. I don't like the thought of my dolls being thrown away one day :'^(
      I'm assuming that they will be worth a pretty penny one day.

4. I will keep my dolls with me as long as possible and as long as I can care for them like they need to be cared for. If I find a special relative, such as a niece or nephew or cousin, or a special doll friend etc. who has a genuine love for the dolls, then I would consider leaving them to that person, along with my doll diaries and anything *special* that goes with them.

I have a daughter, but she has no love for dolls, and I am fine with that. She and I do other things together. But she has joked with me and says "Mommy, if you ever give me your dolls, I will see them all away, because I don't like them." *yikes :...( * Maybe she will change her feelings as she gets older.

I want someone who loves them and will care for and appreciate them to have them. :) I don't ever want to go through the experience of seeing all my dolls sold out at an auction again! > <

5. I would love to pass them down when I'm gone, and make them promise not to sell them EVER.
      If I don't have any children or I die suddenly, I'd give them to my parents to watch after until my brother grows up and has children of his own.

6. I'm prolly only going to have one doll and one doll only in my life so he's going to be pretty precious to me. If I'm ever graced with children - *shudder* - then...I dunno. I would really like to buy them one of their own.

I know I don't want Bory to be just cast aside so who knows? Maybe he will become an heirloom. ^^; It's a nice thought as we don't have any of those in our family.

7. I myself am quite young, do not have children(other than my resin one), and hope not too die soon but....
      I do not think I would give my dolls away to anyone while I am alive. When I die I would like to pass them to someone who would cherish them(does not have to be my child or even a relative, just someone who I care about and who would take care of me resin kids); even if they are not BJD crazy and would just keep them as art on display or something to remember me by I would not mind so long as they don't sell them or never dust them.
      Another idea is that I will become wealthy and famous and create a museum dedicated to the art of the doll. Being the founder there will be a collection of my dolls and other works.Hahahaha...well, anything is possible, right?

8. Erm i was planning to be buried with them but > >

9. I highly doubt I'll be having children. I would like them for them to be sold. Then have all the profits go to some sort of charity.

10. I don't know who in my family would want my dolls. But I did tell my husband and son that if I were to die suddenly, they should try to sell the dolls instead of throwing them away, because, at least, they would get some money. :p

11. It's hard to think of something like this since I'm so young and not planning on having kids for another decade or longer (I'm 16...). I definitely think that if I have a child that loves my (future) dolls and wants one, that I will help them get one. However, I doubt I'd give any of my (future) dolls away while I'm living. They would have to be written into my will (whether to be given to family or sold with the proceeds going towards something, who knows?).

12. I think I would not give my doll to my niece ever. First of all, my dolls will be mine. I want to sew the clothes of my dolls. I will make them dreads. I will do their face-ups, I might mod them too. I will build a character for them and they will be exactly how I want, how I have them in mind.

And an other person like my niece, will have different thoughts about the dolls. If she'd get my doll, she would change her totally I think.

The doll(s) is/are just a part of me. I will put pieces of myself into them, and my own dreams. So I don't want to give her away ever.

And I don't want to have any children of my own in the future, so it cannot (and will not) be given to my children.

13. My mom is a collector and she collect various things (barbie, swarvoski, perfume, key chain etc) and she said will give it to me when she dies. I told her I do not like them so now its going to be my kids who will have grandma's collection.

I collect bjds and other type of dolls only and looks like my kids are not very interested in them at all. My kids see my dolls at daily basis and find them normal I think they will like wii or nintendo more than my dolls. I guess it will go to my grandchildren then :)

14. I'd love for my dolls to stay in the family. My sisters, and nieces [whom of which lives with me] adore my dolls and would like ones of their own in the future. I'm still young to think about giving my beloved dolls to my children or grand children but if they have an interest in them by that time I'd love for them to go into loving hands.

Either way the future is kind of scary, I hate the thought of them going into bad hands or in hands of someone who doesn't understand the dolls, or being tossed in the garbage. D':

15. Haha! I thought of the same thing. I know I certainly wouldn't mine being buried with Minoru. As for any future dolls I wouldn't know. x3

16. I'm not sure our dolls will last that long...People who have bought dolls maybe about 3 or more years ago talk about how they get yellow. Only Volks has the uv resistant resin so far, right? I don't think anyone else does. How yellow will they be after 50 years or so? Its kind of sad to think about. ;___;

But I guess if mine do survive, I'd give them to my niece to give to her kids maybe.

17. Does yellowed resin make them any less loveable, though? (I'm fairly new to the bjd community, but isn't yellowing a cosmetic issue more than structural? As in, does yellowing damage the resin to the point that it's more easily broken, etc?)

Personally, I might have the doll airbrushed to cover the yellowing, or even dye it, depending on how bad it gets.

I agree that it's very sad to think of that happening, but it wouldn't change how I feel about the doll. (If I've misinterpreted your post, please tell me. It's not my intention to offend! :sweat )

18. Well, from what I hear, no one knows how the dolls will look over a long long period of time, the whole resin doll thing has only been around for about...8 years maybe? I don't know anyone who has a doll that old, at least.

I have seen some dolls, like french resin dolls, looking unpleasantly yellow and streaky. And yes, I do think if my doll looked like he fell into a vat of coffee to the point where there was no way to clean him, I wouldn't like him as much. And I kind of expect him to end up that way after 10 or 20 years, which is sad, but something I considered when I got into the hobby.

But maybe thats just me.

19. *blink* Wow, only 8 years? I seems like way longer, for some reason. Oo

I don't know if you frequent the Customizing thread much, but it looks like some people have found a solution to yellowing-- though they're of course not sure how long it'll last. Still, it's worth a shot and gets results! http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173691

20. I think if my children or grandchildren liked and wanted my doll(s) when I'm gone they can have them and enjoy them as much as they want. Because I sure won't be! But if they want to sell them to fund things for themselves or whatever they want to do, I'm fine with that. Whatever makes them happiest. And I suppose you never know the future. I could be cornered myself into selling before I hit the permanent hay, anyway.