1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls becoming family heirlooms?

Dec 6, 2007

1. If my dolls didn't stay in the family, I think I'd like best for them to end up in the hands of some child who has absolutely no idea of their value but loves them nonetheless. I think it would be appropriate somehow. Even if they got loved to death.

If I were to kick it right now, I'd like the idea of giving each of my important people one of my dolls, but I think they'd hate that. I don't think they like them or even really associate them with me because I've only been into them while in college and haven't been home much.

2. I just want someone who knows my Laika, and his personailty, and doesn't try to change him... I love him, and I spent years developing the character he's based on. It's sad to think I'll die someday and my knowledge of my Laika will go with him. That's why I'm writing his story. :D So, I want him to go with someone who knows him as well as I do. <3

3. I don't know anyone of my family/friends who likes my dolls, and I might not ever have children. So I will probably sell them off when I get old and hope they will have appreciated greatly in that amount of time!

I can't imagine that in the future our dolls will be called "vintage" or "antique" the way they are now :lol:

4. i'm not sure if i'm gonna have kids. if i do and they'll take care of them i'd love to pass them down the line. if not, i'm gonna try to get them in a doll muesum or something like that.:)

5. I can't imagine anyone wanting them, since several of them are modified - made anatomically more correct, or given bigger noses, or personal quirky features - whatever helped the character along. If I were to die, most likely the reaction would be, 'this woman was a wierdo', altho they'd probably 'oooo' and 'aaaaaah' over the clothes & jewelry, etc.

I think I'd have to hope my executor(s) would put them up for auction on DoA or some other doll-friendly place, where they wouldn't be maligned, misunderstood, abused, mocked, or destroyed by careless or destructive people. They're certainly of heirloom quality & workmanship, but anything that isn't a Bratz & appeals to the lowest common denominator these days isn't likely to survive, is it? Sad, but true.

If I have warning, I'll sell them online here myself, I guess, but how many of us are that lucky?

6. I think if I'm still an uber BJD nut when I die I think they should either be put in my coffin with me or sold to new young BJD owner who can re-make them into their own characters and love them.

7. Shoot. If I had a kid or a grandkid who really appreciated the doll, I would be more then willing to give my doll to them. Even before I would kick the bucket. I've always been into sentimental things like that. There is nothing like being a kid with sparkle eyes, admiring something of a relative and actually being given that. My Uncle once gave me one of his big monster robots from Robotech when I was little-- I still treasure that plastic beast today. ... and I always will. I'd love to pass something down to make another person happy.

8. Mine are all going to specific people both in and out of the family when I go. There's a few that peeps outside my house are getting, and a few that are remaining in house and going to my daughter.

The stipulation behind it all is they must remain as is [both physically and character wise] and unsold, even if that means they remain in boxes for the rest of eternity. My daughter already has her own, but she knows who of mine will go where already and that the ones she's keeping have to remain in the family until the end of time otherwise I'll be coming back and doing a whole lot of haunting on everyone's asses. >3

9. As the resin being used is a relatively new material, and judging by the fast decay (yellowing, becoming brittle, etc) we have seen on dolls less than 10 years old...

I think it is highly unlikely that the physical doll will actually last long enough to be an heirloom. ;_;

10. My daughter, who is ten, actively collects dolls with me. I know which dolls she likes and which ones she doesn't really care about. If I get tired of one of them that I know she doesn't care for, I will sell it.

I only have a few BJDs and right now she doesn't feel comfortable with a resin BJD. She has one of the new vinyl ones and loves it. I consider my CHoa basically an heirloom doll. She is mainly on display and because of her LE and cost, she would be kept in the family. The others, well, it would be up to my daughter, but they would all go to her.

11. I'll have to see how my family reacts when I get my boy. I agree it would be really cool to pass one on to a family member. But knowing my family, I'll probably end up willing him to a friend when the time comes.

12. Seeing as I'm 13 I haven't thought much of family, but if I had people I knew that actually enjoyed dolls it would make the most sense to give the doll to them.

13. All of my dolls will be kept in the family, by being passed down to my daughter. :) She's already got 2 of her own, that she cares for so very lovingly (at age 7), so I know they'll be loved and cared for when she's much older. :)

14. Whether they become family heirlooms will be dependent on having a family member who would want to keep them in the family (at least for the first couple of generations anyway as I think it takes time and generations to fix the concept of an item being a family heirloom in their heads).

I doubt ours will be as there isn't a family member who I consider to be a person who may wish to keep the dolls in the family. Our family simply sees us as a bit strange and the dolls would simply be considered rather expensive things which go into estate property to be sold.

I think we would specify the manner in which they are sold to try and make sure that they actually go to BJD people rather than under the hammer at an estate auction where people may not appreciate what they are.

15. I guess I could see passing my dolls on after I've passed away. I must admit, it is a nice thought to image that my great great grandchildren would have dolls I'd collected in my youth.

16. Maybe give mine to my children,but definatly not to nieces/nephews!

My cousins are stuck up brats,and I imagine their children will be the same.

17. Maybe give mine to my children in the far far far far far far future (im ONLY 14),but definatly not to nieces/nephews!

My cousins are stuck up brats,and I imagine their children will be the same.

18. It's difficult to say what their ultimate fate will be, as my husband and I don't plan to have children and are estranged from our respective families. Probably won't even be able to leave them to my one sibling, as he's over ten years older than i am.

Hopefully, by that point in life (with luck, very far off), i'll still be friends with the few people who are both close enough to me and appreciative enough to receive them.

19. I'm too attached to my little fellas to ever just give them away. And what if the niece or whoever I gave the doll to didn't like it? I would rather buy them a new doll, something they really wanted, instead of giving them one of my own.

If I still have dolls when I'm old and wrinkly, I will probably put instructions in my testament for my relatives to sell the dolls when I'm gone, unless someone really wants to keep them. I have already told my brothers and closest friends about my plans, just in case there's an accident or something.

20. I think I'd like to pass a doll on to my daughter in the future if it was a doll I knew she would treasure and lovingly keep it cared for.