1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls becoming family heirlooms?

Dec 6, 2007

1. Now that I think about it, I doubt I'd want to give my doll away to anyone. It's not a "MINEOMG!" thing, but just a little bit of my imagination goes into those dolls, I wouldn't want to give it to someone who won't appreciate it or would understand its value.

More than ever, I think I'll just have it displayed somewhere. It's a sad fate, really, but hey, I doubt the doll would physically stand the test of time.

2. At this point, I'm not very sure yet. I would love to spread the addiction around to the people I am close to, not forcing them though. However, I always had this image that I'd be buried with all of my dolls.

3. I'm rather young to be a doll collector and even be thinking about this sort of thing, but I think it'd be really great to give it to my child (that is, if I have one in the future). If I had a daughter that was into that sort of thing, I'm sure it'd be of much sentimental value to hand it down. The only thing my mom ever gave me was a music/jewelry box with angels on the front. I absolutely love it. I don't know about how the child would feel though, considering the state of the object or the person who receives it. Like some people would just go, "Whatever, mom just gave me a weird doll", and that's definitely not the kind of person I would give away my precious Alice to. But I think that it could be really neat to be handed down for various generations, or even becomes an antique... Old family heirlooms are definitely neat. It'd be a good idea for a story... An antique doll handed down for generations... :P

4. i would love to buy my future daughter one of these. start with a 27cm and then when she gets older buy her a 40 and then a 60. because even if she doesnt like them in the future i can always dress em and do a face up to represent what she looked like at that age ^__^ and the dolls are more realistic unlike barbie..which is good for little girls ...not to aspire to be a big buubd small feet monster bleach girl XD seriously...barbie looks mutated next to a bjd...its weird....

5. i cant imagine if my kids play with my doll... i m not at that stage yet... but i think i ll buy them new soft toy... if i see them play with my doll and drop on the floor... i ll cry...:(

6. I have two sons and I would love to have a grand-daughter(s) someday. I am hoping my dolls will go to her (them) when I am an old woman..... They might be worth something. Look at the Bebe and Jumeau dolls on Ebay. They sell for a lot! Interesting question. Thanks for posting.

7. I have already developed (or am developing) a plan for all of my dolls in the instance that I die young. (I'm not planning on dying young, but hey, things DO happen...)

My Kaeden (KD Bory) goes to my mom, because he's her favorite.

My Huntyre goes to my best friend and Huntyre's boyfriend Leiland goes to my best friend's girlfriend... (it's not really a risk, they've been together since they were like 14 haha)

My two brother dolls, Josiphe and Tomas, go to my two friends that are brothers. That way they'll each get one.

The other three are not decided yet, but I have options still. O_o (plus, I don't even have all of these dolls yet...)

8. I would love to let my daughters have my dolls when I'm gone, heck I give them my dolls while I'm still here. LOL
      If any of my daughters like dolls I like, I am the first to buy them one.
      I love sharing my hobby with them.

9. I'm a great believer in making sure that something you're not using goes to somebody else who can use it.
      I think Moggie's idea of specifying the way your dolls are sold is a great way of handling a serious collection when you don't have somebody you know who can care for them properly. I'd rather see mine go to a collector who really wants that doll and will get them new faceups and restring them when needed. Besides, some of the completists out there agonize over filling in something in a series, and your doll may be just what they needed. Any hobby that involves collecting has the question of breaking up a specialized collection, too.
      IMHO that's much better than throwing them at somebody who happens to be in your circle of friends or family but who honestly doesn't have room, or has kids or pets who will damage them, and then they will feel just guilty about it. Why burden them with someting they can't handle properly?

10. I have included my dolls in my will, and certain dolls are going to certain people, though the bulk I would love to see passed on my partner is inheriting the majority, and two fellow doll lovers who know my gang well will inherit a few special ones

11. I would love to pass my dolls down to my daughter one day but I just don't see it happening. Lol I love them very much and have invested a lot into them. I WOULD be very willing to help her start up her own collection and what not or "share" the collection.

In the case of me dying I've already thought long and hard about where they are going so I don't have to worry about that. I've also talked to these people and let them know the plan and they've agreed to take on the responsibility of caring for them. If I had a daughter, I'd probably leave them to her if she was into dolls.

12. I'll be giving a doll to my mom for for her birthday. She always looks at mine and tells me that she wants one.:lol: She knows that she wants one with long eyelashes and dark brown hair and eyes.

13. I haven´t children yet... maybe in 5 or 7 years... but, I´m considering buy them dollfies in a future...

14. The truth of the matter is that resin does start to break down over time. Sorry to be a downer! I doubt they would last "through the generations," but until then, I'd either leave mine to a family member who wants them, or give them to my grandchildren, if I ever have any children in the first place!
      If no one wants them, they can be auctioned off. As for being buried with your dolls, I plan on being cremated, so that'd be a no go XD

15. I would love for my family members to want my dolls when I die (in like 80 years XD)
      It would be so interresting to pass down all the BJD fashions collected at this time to my future kids/grand kids. they'd be like "OMFG you used to wear clothes like this?!?"

16. Dont even think it, your kids will all be Pediophobics! (have doll phobia, LOL) They'll be sold off for pennies on the dollar the second you're dead :P (true, really, just enjoy em yourself!)

17. One of two of my best friends, whom has many health issues, has once expressed to me that if she should pass away before me that she would give me the dolls she has (as one i have bought and fixed up for her and one she has paid for but I ordered for her and will modify for her as well) as those dolls have sentimental value and she felt I would take care of them for her. Should I pass away, as I don't have any children and haven't planned on any, my niece (currently 3yrs) or, if my brother has any more children, nieces/nephews will inherit them, and although I would like to think they would cherish them etc. I cannot expect that at this point....sooo..well I'd like to hope they'd be heirlooms lol

18. I would hope that my youngest daughter would take cae of my dolls, when I pass.

19. i'd keep all my dolls, but if my nieces showed any interest in dolls, i'd be happy to buy them dolls of their own.

20. That's what I plan to do, but only if my children are interested. Like Vega said, I wouldn't want her to just be passed onto some antique road show (eep, the possibility frightens me).