1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls changing personalities on you?

Aug 10, 2005

1. Not really so much. For me, the reason I decide to adopt a doll is because when I see him on the screen, I know it's one of my character's looking back at me. I usually take a bit of time between deciding on which sculpt will suit who so there's no question about it. Once I decide someone is coming home, even the website's picture of the doll is "my boy". There's no questiojn in my mind as to who he'll be, I know that Fakia or Prince or whoever next is coming home to me and absolutely no one else is making that journey. Also, I purposfully opt to never adopt a doll with a face-up already given to him. I think this also helps me steer very clear away from some of the other problems other owners might encounter when a beautiful face-up just changes the dolls personality from what was originally intended.

2. Hmm... Hiroshi was origionally incredibly frilly while at the same time being dark.
      Now he's either one or the other, and his attitude changes accordingly with the outfits.
      I give up with him, and simply call it his "on-stage personality." :lol:
      Kiril has become a lot less open-looking, and looks more like someone who tries to keep things to himself while still being the support of others, which I actually like for him! He used to be such a baby. :sweat

3. When I ordered my first doll - a DZ Feilian - I didn't have a caracter in mind. But while I was waiting for her I named her Ilvara like a caracter in a fairietale I wrote many years ago.

The funny thing is that had I thought of that caracter I would never have choosen a Feilian for her. When she arrived she she was Ilvara but not exactly like I expected. I knew Ilvara had a very difficult childhood but she was also very strong and earthy so I vas very surprised she turned out to so sad. She really has a sadnes about her that seems to never completely to go away. Most of the time she isn't that sad but it's still there like an underlaying constant thing.

As for my other three they didn't have a caracter before they arrived although they all had a name. They still have managed to surprise me though. Ulja - my Sleeping Elf small Moona - is very cheeky but not nearly as bratty as I thought she'd be. Linnea - my Lati Blue Censya - is such a gentle soul I find it really amazing and at the same time there's something royal about her - she's a soft, kind, gentle princess.

Amaryllis - my Mini Gem Uyoo elf - came to me scared to death. I was totally unprepared of that. She was even a bit aggressive but just because she was so scared. She just seems so hurt. She does feel a lot better but is still too scared to really show her personallety. There's something so fragile about her though that you want to protect her. I think she'll develop a lot as time goes.

In a week I'm ordering a Soul Kid Apple. Her name is Emmelia and she's going to have very dark grayish purple eyes (Soom Cherrynight) and an almost black purple Tinybear wig. I don't really know what her personallety is going to be like or what kind of clothes she'll want. I'll just wait and see till she gets here. :)

Dustbunnie

4. Same thing happened with my Sist, Helena. When I adopted her head from the marketplace, I pictured her to be an irish tomboy name Abigale. When she came home however, she was completely different than what I thought she would be. Her real name is Helena, and she's a girl from 19th Century London. I love her though, I'm saving up for her body right now.

5. The stock image of one of my dollies simply didn't agree with me, as darling as she looked. But once she got a new face-over and hairstyle, it felt so much more in sync! X3

6. Ailin's personality has done a complete 180 since he arrived. I had originally planned for him to be rather kind, and based on a pre-existing character of mine, but he turned out to be just the opposite. He's the type that is very outwardly kind, but on the inside, he's constantly making bitter and sarcastic remarks.

7. When I bought Theo I had intended for him to be based on one of my characters also he's surpose to be very timid and calm, quite childish (childish that he is) his persoanlity formed like this at first. Then again he had just came out of a box and was being checked out by my boyfriend so timid and quiet makes sence.

After a while... although he is Theo. I relised he was very sulky? not a trait I would ever pick myself. He is the same but abit more livly then expected stubborn and fed up. Rather spoilt actually at times. And then imature and shy again.

I think sometimes the dolls can end up with your influence of their personally but at the same time naturally come with their own. Simply by how they look or when their elastic is tight and makes them move a certain way :sweat

8. Well, Picara seems a lot more mopey and dramatic than I ever thought she'd be. Looking at pictures of her and other Kun face molds, I got the feeling of a happy person, occasionally sad and sometimes hiding a more villainous personality. That was what Picara was originally supposed to be like. Nice, but a little creepy.

But now, in every photo I take, it seems like she's sitting there, staring into space and thinking about or moping over various things. She's always sad or depressed by something, and occasionally waxes melodramatic over her own state and the futility of everything.

So I just let her flop down and have an internal monologue and take pictures of it. I think after I get up the courage to give her a new, less-dreamy faceup (and some new eyes) she might seem a bit less 'emo'.

9. My doll underwent quite a big change from what I had planned.

I have an Obitsu girl, so I wanted a boy to go with her. Obitsu didn't have a 60cm boy, so I bought a girl and the boy chestplate. After a little work, I had an Obitsu boy! Right? Well, not quite.

Dragan never took to being a boy, no matter how much I tried to force it. I finally gave in and gave the doll a new faceup, wig, and bust. I now call her Ligeia, and she's lovely. :P

10. I've been trying forever to have a sweet, shy, girlie kind of personality for a few of my female dolls... but they always turn into bossy, snappy, assertive women. XD Guess personal preference always comes through, no matter what. Lol I like my girls to be controlling.

11. I have a Hana Elfdoll Devil and she is an imp. She is not very old, maybe 4, 5, or 6. Her personality develops like a child's develops. Sometimes, she is just a twerp. Sometimes, she is stubborn and then she turns around and does the thing that makes me smile. Our primary being exists but we alter are personalty with new interest and new people or even new medication. Hana is a little Devil and she will always change, even tho her truest personality is that of an imp. AnnMarie

12. Has anyone found that the wig make a personality change?

13. (Sorry, hit the wrong button before I was done.) But what about the eyes changing the personality? Arent the eyes the windows to the soul?

14. I had a LaTi Lea that was the sweetest doll ever, then I bought an SP white and she got mad and moved to Colorado. True story!

15. MWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! >8D *uses sweet necromancy skills to bring thread back to LIFE!!*:mwahaha

*cough* Ehem... >>;;;

Well, let's see, for my Beryl I had originally hoped for her to be a sexy, flirtatious woman with a big attitude---however, when she arrived, she quietly informed me she was a scholar and...a gentleman.:nowords: Yes she is still physically female and generally uses feminine honorifics [occasionally 'sir' will pop up though] her mind is 'male' and she identifies as such. However, as a result, she has completely rejected wearing ANY sort of dress or skirt, and firmly insists that she wear high class men's clothing, and nothing else. Granted, she rocks the look but this means, NO BUYING CLOTHES ON A WHIM!! I either have to heavily research SD sized boy's clothes to make sure they're big enough to fit her boobs/hips, or buy something for males and then inevitably mod it to fit. *sigh* Male, female, whatever the heck she wants to be, she's still a diva whether she wants to admit it or not.:sigh

Heck, I love her though, I think she's GORGEOUS!! To me her unexpected "self-discovery" was pretty cool...and now I honestly can't imagine my girl any other way!:D:aheartbea:aheartbea

16. My very first BJD (Dollzone cherry) Hitomi has been through several different personalities before she became who she is (??). When I first got her she was going to be a goth, she then became a romantic goth. On a whim I made a gear eye for her, changed her eyes to 'blind' ones and stuck her in her default wig and BINGO! She's now my dead necro-punk girl! Dikadoll jointed hands helped too :P

17. My first doll, Sid, had a preplanned personality and she fit it like a glove. But Nao... I was going to let her decide and as soon as I picked her up and held her I knew she was my shy, sweet Naoru. <3 But neither of them have changed personalities, persay. I'm worried about the boy I'm planning, though. I've got a preplanned personality for him but I have a feeling that it won't be that easy.

18. I spent some time plotting out a personality for my first doll. I wanted red hair, red eyes, and a general feeling of fire, because he was supposed to be an Ifrit. He was also supposed to like being well-covered, because of some past trauma. When he got here, he was far more timid than expected, and he seemed uncomfortable with the red eyes. It was only when I popped a pair of green glass eyes into him that it finally felt that he was comfortable. It also seems that he prefers blue and green tones to red. And he like sleeveless tops.

For my second, I was seriously considering making her Jenova (from FFVII), since I got her head first. However, after staring at the available female bodies, I just didn't find any that I liked enough to put it on. Two temp jobs later, Luts released their new type 3 body (it was new then, ok?) and I decided, ah, why not? Since I liked the jointing and most male dolls can pass as females anyway. Of course, the Jenova idea went out of the window, since Jenova needed boobs.

But the type 3 body wasn't quite girly enough and neither was her faceup, and I was so frustrated that I threw it aside for a couple of months, tried to sell him at least once or twice, before re-doing the faceup and switching to a different character. It took another year and a half (more? I've lost count) to finally get *him* settled into a character. He's adopted a pair of cat eyes (that were originally purchased for my Sephiroth head) and decided that he's going to be a consummate crossdresser.

I've since learnt not to try to come up with characters before the dolls arrive. :\ Currently, I have two on the way, one tiny CH Uriel girl and one Migidoll Ryu+Sphaler body. It's really hard to resist the urge to find characters for them when the wait is another few months. *facepalm*

19. Oh god yes. All the time. In fact, It happens whenever I get a doll that didn't already have a character planned for it, or if I try to change the character of a doll that had a character planned. When this happens, I just go with it, y'know? If I don't I get bonding issues and end up wanting to sell the doll a good amount of the time. </3

First thing is first, a new character means a new name is in order, although nicknames might carry over such as one case. Then I just waddle around, swap wigs, eyes, clothes and it'll come eventually in one form or another. Sometimes they come in a form you didn't expect at all!

Most of them don't have a specific wardrobe, but it does change even a bit. Sora (H.Ducan)liked nice, baggy warm things, Shane was a bit darker, but Lin (Final persona) is a bit more mainstream in a sense, and much more fashionable. My Pado, Judith used to... dress like a girl excessivly to the point were I modded him to a girl. Mara (my Pado as a girl) dressed like a porcelain doll. Now, Jean seems to cling to dressing like a girl at times, but he (Yes. He. There's a story to the modding) also clings to a victorian style.

Then there was Nehara(T.E. Sha).. Woohboy. Well, Nehara didn't work out once Judith was out of the picture (They were siblings) So, think Heise style.. To a skanky, artsy little goth vampire who loves short shorts and showing off her tramp stamp. I don't have her body yet.. but I will soon!

Last but not least, and probably the biggest character change there was, there was Dararai (B.E.Sha)to Sebastian. Dararai is a highly intelligent elf with long raven hair and holds the abilities of a timekeeper. Sebastian.. Is a blond werewolf with wild hair who loves anything having to do with the ocean and has a soft spot for vampires.

All in all, I actually have ended up liking them even more once they found the right character to slip into. :)

20. At the beginning I used to write very specific backgrounds for my dolls with many details... and this worked out for my first 4 dolls.
      But when I got my Vesuvia I realized that the background I had planned so well didn't match with her at all; her aspect too changed many times...Since then, before a doll's arrival I just think about a few possible names and her general role in the family: her background is completely developed once I get her as well as her final style.
      I find quite annoying changing a doll's personality/background/style so I try not to define too many details before I see her in person... ;)