1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls in Fantasy Colors?

Oct 26, 2010

1. Oh wow! I am definately a fan of the fantasy colors! I have a gray skin doll myself. I would also love to have a blue skin doll one day. I like the colors because of their surreal nature - it is so different and I am a total nut for fantasy things.

I won't ever dye a doll though. I don't like the results which are not always as permenant as desired, especially in the joint areas.

I don't understand what you mean by "fantasy-characters" when you ask if only they can pull off the look. Real people don't have purple or green skin or blue or gray unless they are dead. If you are asking if dolls with colored skin can only wear fantasy clothes and be presented in fantasy themed photoshoots ect just because they are in fantasy colored resin - then no I don't think that is necessary.

I mean - why even ask? Do what you want. That's the beauty of this hobby! <3

2. Thanks for everyone's opinions. I always love reading through them! :)

3. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      No, not at all. I'll only buy a doll in ns if I'm madly in love with the sculpt and it's the only color I can get that sculpt in.
      Would buying a colored doll depend on your doll's character?
      Yes...I love colors, but I'd have to come up with a character to fit that particular color as a way of explaining it. I have dolls in white, of course...and also in a pale lilac as well as a darker gray-lilac. If the ws is more of a pale fleshtone, I don't worry much about it. But my paper-white girl is a ghost, my ivory-white girl is a clockwork automaton, my pale lilac girl is a robot, and my darker gray-lilac girl is a deceased elvin mystic. (I need reasons if the skin tone is too beyond the norm.)
      If you wanted a colored doll, would you ever try to dye him/her yourself?
      No...absolutely not. Don't get me wrong, I certainly admire those who are brave enough to do this. But if I want a specific color that badly, there are companies who do a lovely job for me and the resin is colored all the way through. I don't have to worry about any uneveness or rubbing at joints. That would drive me crazy so I just won't go there.
      Do you feel that only fantasy-character dolls can pull off this look?
      No, not just fantasy, but I do believe that for me at least, I must have a reason for their character to be that color. I actually met a woman with blue skin once...and not just blue-ish but really truly and uniformly blue! It had been caused by a medical related metallic poisoning incident back in the 1930s. The color of her skin was beautiful and very striking.

4. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?

I have no preference toward natural colours, but most of the sculpts I like come only in natural tones so far.

Nope, because I don't dolly-fy characters. If I got many colours, it would be because I get bored of staring at the same colours over and over again.

I did consider, but the results are simply not permanent enough for me. I'd worry about the colours coming off! *_* On the other hand, if I find a nice head for Jenova, I'd dye her head to match BBB's sky blue...

Eh, I think a lot of fantasy characters won't be able to pull off the blue/red/lilac/grey/green look, considering that a lot of fantasy characters are human/humanoid/in human-ish colours anyway. And I think grey dolls, especially, can pull off being completely human, because they look like they stepped out of a black and white show/photo!

Personally, my justification for any coloured doll would probably simply be, 'Oh, s/he's a nightmare.' XD My dollyverse is a very simple place...

5. I'd love a pink skinned doll :)

6. Apart from grey I don't like unnaturally colored dolls. And the only doll on my wishlist that I'd buy with this colour is Souldoll Shiva with 4 arms. She's supposed to be a spider-hybrid character of mine, so grey would suit her.

But pink, blue, yellow and green? Nope, not my cup of tea.

7. I agree with noddyfry I like to see a pinkskinned doll. I have a character who is a half demon and it would suit her very well.

8. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      only because i haven't seen an unnatural-coloured doll that appealed to me yet. i'm open to the idea of buying one if i ever find one i like enough.

no, i discover my dolls' characters after i buy them.

no.

i'm not sure how else you could explain a human character having green/blue/etc. skin.. if there was a good explanation for it, it's fine.

9. I'd love a pink skinned doll :)

Oh i know! I saw some really pretty pink dolls on the Bambicrony site. But all of them have been sold out for a very long time.
      It's such a bummer. =[

10. I like more natural colour but I want one guy red. I want to have Baltasor (charmed) in resin, but I'm afraid of dye him.

11. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      Yes. Grey and lilac are lovely doll skin colors though.

100%

The dolls I want will be available during a certain time of month in all the colors I like. No need to do it myself.

Yes.

12. I personally don't want any colorful dolls, but if I did, I think I would be too scared to try and dye them myself!

13. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?

I prefer natural tones. Outrageous colors, like green or blue, just seem too different for me.

Of course...but I really don't think I'd have a doll that would warrant an unusual tone.

Nope

I think so. To me, it would feel odd having a whole ensemble of odd colored dolls. I'm just not into dolls that have drastically different colors. I like a range of natural tones (like yellows, whites, pinks...) but having something like a green doll just doesn't excite me at all.

14. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      I prefer a normal skinned doll however having a blue doll as an Undine would be kinda neat; I've never seen the right sculpt though.
      Yes...
      I've thought about it but I don't want to screw up. (not coloured but tanned in this case)
      Yes.....I can't really think of any blue or green humans :D

15. Yep. My dolls come in:
      WS
      NS
      Purple/red/black (it works on him)
      Blue
      Lilac
      Tan
      Yellow (we're talking bright knock your socks off yellow and yes he was coloured to be yellow)
      Brown
      Black

I think it's fun, myself.

16. Most of my dolls are natural skin tones, and I wouldn't want a whole army of resinpeople with unnatural skin, but I do have a silky black YO that I dyed myself and a gorgeous purple (really purple) girl who started life as a Bobobie lilac but found herself dipped into Rit to become much, much darker. I saw a black drow for sale in the MP but by the time I had made up my mind to buy her, she was already sold. Soooo, I made my own, and really like the way she came out. The purple girl is an elf who rides an even deeper purple horse with silver markings, just a bit of fantasy in my (usually) totally realistic world.

17. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?

Not necessarily, though the majority of my current collection is NS. I do own a lilac BJD (who I simply adore!) and have a green skinned one on order.

Yes, 110%.

Probably not, honestly.

Do you mean "fantasy" as in "fantasy-themed"? If so, no. I mean, I don't think a green doll has to be an alien, or a gray doll has to be a vampire or drow. It totally depends on how the owner wants to express his or her self, and any traits given to the doll.

18. I myself like natural colours... and i love light skintones ... so i only like normal and whiteskin XP

19. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      I prefer the skin colors which fit better the characters I have in mind and the most of them have natural looking and standard skin tones.

For sure. I already did. I like natural skin colors, but in a character which had an special skin color I would go for and would rather that one for him/her.

I have only one colored BJD, CP Luts Delf Tanning Lishe, and as I am going to swap her body for another I already got in other skin color, I have to dye her new body to be the same skin color that her head by myself.

No. In my opinion whatever a person likes is ok always it is something that person really wants. I think there may be many other personal reasons to do so besides thinking about a fantasy-character BJD.

20. If you ever get a Balthazar, I hope you post pictures. That will be one *killer* face-up to re-create!