1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls in Fantasy Colors?

Oct 26, 2010

1. When I started my BJD addiction, I didn't even know about white skin versus normal skin (talk about naive!). I have one white-skinned elf Juri as a result, but generally I prefer normal skin hues, whether they are pink, yellow or tan tones. I like colored resin on dolls, generally speaking, but think that it almost REQUIRES the doll be a non-human character. Each of my BJDs has at least one wig in a hair-color that doesn't occur in nature, usually a purple or a green tone; too much anime in my background, I suppose.

I have an Impledoll Fantasia with lavendar skin, and a small elvin sweet tiny with red skin (she stands around nekkid 'cause I like her looks -- and I have no clothes that suit her yet). I LOVE the Bambicrony elves, but they are hard to come by.

2. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      Well I don't actually have a doll. But I must say the natural colours are more appealing to me. Although there are some nice coloured resin.

Would buying a colored doll depend on your doll's character?
      I think I would. I'll just need a character that suits that colour.

If you wanted a colored doll, would you ever try to dye him/her yourself?
      I doubt my skills are that good. I wouldn't want to ruin the resin.

Do you feel that only fantasy-character dolls can pull off this look?
      Do robots count with fantasy. Then no. Otherwise yeah I can't really think of anything human except a extremely sunburnt doll.

3. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      Yes, just cuz I love it and think it's gorgeous. *3* (With blushing and all, anyway.) All those warm luscious pinks and yellows and caramels~
      Even white-skinned ones can be a delicious natural creamy-pale with blushing.

I don't really do the character thing. It would just depend on if I liked the color. (Or if I liked the doll a LOT and it only came in that one color. Like what's that one gorgeous gray one called, Dark? Gray is so... blegh.. but he's amazing. /wrist ...Good thing he was limited so I'm not even considering it. XD;; I bet he could look fine with blushing though. Good shading fixes any color.)

Nah, too much trouble, I'd hate it to be uneven.

...what else could you have? XD;;; Like just a regular human but blue, like Skeeter from Doug? That would be.. fine I guess... XDDD

4. My doll is colored, mostly... She's a drow, so she has to be black. It definitely depends on the character, but I don't think only fantasy dolls are able to pull it off. I've seen a couple colored dolls that weren't fantasy dolls, like Sally from the Nightmare before Christmas.
      I commissioned someone to dye her for me, because I was to scared to try. I had another doll head, my first that I totally thought I would do all sorts of customizations on, but never did, so I wanted to make sure I got Izalle done.

5. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      i prefer natural looking skin for my doll
      nope
      no, im scare that im going to mess up the color

not really

6. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      Yes, they appeal more to me.
      [Would buying a colored doll depend on your doll's character?
      I don't shell my characters into dolls, so no. I bought a Soom Haidi because I loved the light blue resin and I've wanted a snow fairy doll for a while.
      No! I would be too worried that I may ruin the doll.
      No.

7. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      I wouldn't say that I prefer it. It just so happens that most of my dolls end up that color because their characters don't have 'unnatural' skintones.

Yes, very much so. I'll readily substitute WS for NS if one or the other isn't available in a mold I want, but I wouldn't get say... blue for someone who was supposed to be tan.

Yes. If a mold I liked for a certain character didn't come in the color I wanted I would try that. I actually attempted that recently to make a head grey, sadly the dye didn't take so I had to do about 90 coats of blushing instead!

I wouldn't say yes to this entirely, but I would say most of the time.

8. Fantasy colors are ok, but I don't see myself ever getting one.

9. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      depends... I really like grey doll <3 but not green, purple, etc

nope. I don't have any caracters with unatural skin color but I still very much want a grey doll

probably! I did the tan on my first doll using RIT :) so if I wanted a green doll I would do it myself!

not sure I understand your question.... since no humans is of an 'unatural color' I guess it could ONLY be a fantasy caracter. but that doesn't mean it NEEDS elf ears or hooves or a tail.... blue skin is already fantasist enough xD

10. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      Actually yeah, think I do. :sweat

I prefer to make a character for the doll, not the other way around, so....
      However I would love getting a colored doll and making a character for them. :)

I'd be way to scared to. :sweat

Nah, I don't see why only fantasy characters. You never know; a normal look can be pulled off well too. ((This just makes me think of Panty and Stocking, the characters Scanty and Kneesocks...Ehe....))

11. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      No, I prefer any color :3 All should be treated equal :)
      110%. I don't want a pink bull doll. XD
      No. No. No.
      No, I think more then fantasy can. I remember seeing a few peoples dolls in other colors, and they were quite beautiful.

12. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      For my character dolls yes, because it's what matches them in how I see them in my mind. However, I am a huge fan of 'gray' option you can get from some companies as well as purple

I sort of answered this above >.> But not all of my dolls have to be established characters so if there was one that really called out to me, then simply put, I want it lol

No, I don't see this happening. I sense tragic results coming from this! haha

Nah, not really. The doll could look completely normal in every other way (no mods (fantasy or otherwise), normal hair color and eyes) but just be a unique color could be really cool!

13. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?

Depends on the doll's character.

Well, not dyed, but I blushed one girl in greens. Another has her skintone lightened to near-white with violet blushing.

Generally, yes. Both of mine are "creatures"/non-humans.

14. PoeticSoul back in this thread here: http://www.denofangels.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=7035098 has the most beautiful dolls in a variety of colors. Her pale lilac has given me a "hankering" for a lilac doll.

I already have a pink and a blue Lucky, Bobobie tiny dolls. I love them. I have a very dark Dollstown girl on her way now. She is the color of milk chocolate. Obviously she is a human doll, and of a race I see very few dolls. I'm very excited about her. I expect I will have to do some layering of blushing colors on her to help with making her photographs. But this is something I wanted to do anyway.

I have on the way also a 15cm Bracken sleeping elf, blue boy. The whole doll world is fantasy so I'm not sure that I will be tied to matching flesh colors. I like the idea of them being dolls, not humans, but dolls that are sentient beings, conscious of themselves being like us, but not human. Certainly not in the strict sense of the word human. Soooo...they might have a pink, green or blue baby and not think a thing about it. Hah.

Of course the colors are great for all kinds of fantasy. Aliens, elves, parallel universe, visitors from the future, affected by some chemical or disease as some people really have been [I didn't know that until I read this thread] OR just simple complete fairy tale of some unique beings...no limits there.

DYE ONE? Not me. I don't know how you would keep the color from being scraped in the joints for one thing. I may blush some dolls to some unique coloring, but that would not be a permanent thing. I like the option of being able to fix boo-boos, or change my mind...when it comes to my own experimentation. If I decide I don't want a blue baby anymore, if it is a company resin, I would find it easier to offer for sale. If it was a home-made dye, I would be afraid of how it might hold up for another person in the future.

I LOVE dolls that are pale or unusual. They make beautiful art and imaginative worlds of their own.

15. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      - Perhaps for human dolls, though I like most colours but it depends on how the resin colour turns out in photos.

- Sometimes, I have bought a blue doll for a Warcraft character, but usually I don't create characters for dolls before buying.

No, for me it would be too much money and time/effort to prepare and dye it properly, and it might not even turn out right.
      Plus I wouldn't want to risk it staining if it turned out bad.

Not really, I really like Withdoll Priscilla doll in gray skin and although she is in fantasy themed armor, she is human as opposed to an elf sculpt.

16. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      When I first got into the hobby, white and NS were the only options. Of course, over time, some of the whites have turned yellow, others green or greenish-white. Some normals have gone peachy, or really yellow. So I've gotten used to a wide range of "skin tones". And then tan dolls came out, and that was okay too.

Grey, lilac, green, red, etc., are fairly recent, and I do like the look of them in resin.

Sometimes a doll instantly evokes a character. Sometimes I just like a doll very much and the character comes later. But I have no color prejudices. I can as easily make a fantasy character up as a human. With or without fantasy parts.

I haven't tried dyeing myself. Don't have the time or facilities, not to mention experience and/or possible patience. But I have 3 dolls dyed by other people: a mustard-gold "tan", a slightly deeper brown tan, and a jet-black "drow" type.

Do you mean fantasy as in they also have to have hooves, horns, claws or fangs? In that case, nope. All my characters are as human as their emotions and personalities, no matter what the stated origin or appearance. Actually, since all my characters are aware of being IN doll bodies, no matter if stated to be mentally or spirit-ly human in origin, they are ALL fantasy characters! But I do try to work out an appropriate reason for any unusual aspects. (The couple of multi-colored hybrids I'm working on are going to be a challenge, though --)

17. I don't have a colored doll (I have tan and normal skin and white skin), though my white-skin Zaoll Luv is a pretty unrealistic color (being paper white) and I LOVE her.

I want to get a grey doll sometime. But I haven't decided which exactly.

I've prefer colored resin to dyeing. The dye coming off would drive me crazy.

I don't think it needs to be a heavily fantasy doll to have colored skin. I dunno.

18. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      Yes, I want more natural colours. Sometimes I want companies to have more natural shades, like normal yellow and normal pink cos I want some variation. I am not interested in other colours like tan or otherwordly skin tones.
      Nope, because I won't have such a character.
      No way, I don't have the resources or skills and might ruin him/her:o!
      No, I am of the opinion that with the right clothing and face-up, white skin dolls can pull of an unearthly apperance too, in a good way.

19. Because my resin family is still so small I tend to only go for natural and darker skintone dolls. i am a fan of humanoid dolls with humanoid skintones. I have to comeplete my little group first before I consider getting a fantasy colored doll. Then there is the issue of resale value. These special colored dolls are more expensive to purchase and harder to sell when that time comes.

20. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      In the long run, yes. When I see a doll with non-human color (e.g. Soom), seeing it for the first time, I think "WOW! Looks gorgeous." But this is mostly the entire composition. I imagine him or her in a normal outfit, and the fascination starts to fade.
      No, I like versatile dolls. If I needed color, I would perhaps rather change eyes, hair or face-up.
      As none of the known methods last, I do not like the thought of trying this with an expensive resin doll.
      If you want the doll for only this set character, then yes. However, I know of at least one man who turned really blue in the course of time.