1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls in Fantasy Colors?

Oct 26, 2010

1. Do you prefer natrual looking skin colours for your doll?
      I don't have preference for natural or fantasy colours. I like them both equally.

Would buying a coloured doll depend on your dolls character?
      very much so. I own one green resin doll and he's green because he's a plant hybrid.

If you wanted a coloured doll, would you ever try to dye him/her yourself?
      potentially. I have one doll that may need to be dyed...but i don't think I'd do it myself... I'd be more inclined to see if I could find someone experienced to do it

Do you feel that only fantasy-character dolls can pull of this look?
      Personally there needs to be some explanation to why they're that colour but that's just me. I'm sure there are dolls out there that are 'fantasy' coloured but don't have a fantasy background.

2. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?

i actually like both natural looking dolls and a variety of unusal colours too!

Would buying a colored doll depend on your doll's character?

no i dont really do characters i tend to buy as i like the sculpt and fall in love with doll and not really a story. all of my dolls find a character after make up etc! really i go with what suits them

If you wanted a colored doll, would you ever try to dye him/her yourself?

ive considered it but actually i wouldnt dye a doll as i know i wouldnt be statisfied with the end result! i wouldnt like it if it turned out streaky or started to chip off really badly! so i would ever buy a doll cast in the colour

Do you feel that only fantasy-character dolls can pull off this look?

yes i do feel colour resin can add to fanatsy characters, i also feel colour resin dolls can be used just the same as natural colours its just down to taste and what you choose

3. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      for my own collection definitely. white skin is as far out as i have gone (and even then he is made up to be a redhead with freckles so it works with the others) i have seen an admired other peoples colored dolls but they don't cry out to come home with me.

probably not. all of mine need versatility which i have yet to find in a colored doll. however a lot of mine have multiple wigs including fantasy colors just like real people with fantasy colored hair.

maybe if i had a old doll that i didn't care what happened to it, but probably not.

as someone else said. there's no blue people.....

4. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      Yes I tend to lean more towards normal skinned dolls, even over white skinned dolls.
      Absolutely, I like the though of fairies and mermaids and other fantasy creatures having colorful skin colors. So for those types I would.
      No I'd be too worried I'd damage the doll. These dolls are too expensive for me to experiment on. I can't just replace a doll like I can with clothes or stuff.
      Like I said above. I'd probably only buy a colored doll if it was a fantasy doll. But to each there own. There could be other people who do wonderful things with an unnaturally colored doll but for me I think fantasy dolls are the best for these colors.

5. I think fantasy dolls are the only ones that can pull of being an unnatural color. I'm not really fond of colored dolls, even with fantasy, but that's just me. The only color I can't really wrap my head around is red.

I dyed a doll tan once and it came out beautifully. I have several tan dolls that I bought that way, but I guess they aren't considered colored.

I bought a grey skined doll once, but I sold her. I just couldn't bond with her although she was pretty.

I like white dolls, but not paper white, unless they're fantasy or an albino! lol!

6. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      It really depends; I've yet to see a tanned doll.
      After obtaining several heads in different shades of NS and working on commissions for NS heads, I definitely would never buy a doll in Yellow-NS ever! While they all have their charm, it's just not my cup of tea. Now Pink-NS, I would definitely give a chance. The pinker (and paler) the better, like DoD. *swoons

Mmm...I guess it would. If my doll was some fantasy creature, they can be odd colors or NS. I don't understand the concept of an unnaturally colored human unless they're a hardcore cosplayer who will take baths in Kool Aid to dye their skin for the perfect cosplay.

No, never! A doll costs too much for me (even bobobies/rs) to experiment with something as daunting as dying. I'd rather hirer someone and pay premium price just so I can have the ease of mind that my doll will be as close to perfect as he/she can be.

I'm sure there are dolls out there that are human and not fantasy but are still fantasy colored. I would think their doll was still a fantasy-character in regular clothing since I don't understand what the owner's train of thought is, so, each to their own :)

7. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?

Only if the doll calls for it, most of mine do.

Yep. I have one because the character required it.

I did dye him myself. X3 It was fun!

Mostly, yes. Because what real person is going to have deep purple skin? Or blue, unless they've drowned or are freezing to death. Anything besides tan is pretty much a fantasy colour.

8. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      I prefer the skin-tone that suits the character. I have a fairly rainbow collection, but all of the colours are part of the character that the doll has been assigned. I'm not a fan of having (for the sake of an example) a brick red doll just for the fact that it's brick red.

Most definitely. My two most 'out there' colours are a pale blue (the doll is an anthropomorphic representation of a character of mine who is a water dragon) and emerald green (fan doll of the character Elphaba from Wicked!) both of these dolls needed to be that colour for the sake of character. The other dolls I have are in a vaiety of shades of white, normal or tan.

Only if I couldn't find a suitable sculpt from a company that does coloured resins.

No, no, no, of course not. Science fiction characters can pull it off too! (Jokes! Jokes, I cry!) I think as long as there is a suitable reason for the skin colour, it shouldn't necessarily be restricted to fantasy-only stories.

9. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      Normally, yes, I do prefer natural skin tones. However I absolutely fell in love with Soom Sov's minty green and just had to have one.

Not at all. For me, Alvis is just a regular little kid who happens to be green! XD;

I would never NEVER try to dye a doll myself. I'm too afraid I'd muck it up something awful. >__>

Yes and no. While it usually works best for a fantasy character, I don't see why it wouldn't work for a normal character.

10. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      I prefer non-natural colors for my dolls. Out of over 20 dolls, only 3 are Normal Skin. Most of mine are White Skin, since those are more easy to come by, but I also have:
      Tanned
      Grey
      Blue
      Pink

I would like MORE colors someday, like:
      Green
      Black

A bit... more it's the sculpt... if it's a fantasy sculpt, what kind, and what color would look best, etc.

I thought about it, but now there are more and more colors offered. And dyeing is tricky--it can be uneven, and can still wear in parts--at joints, etc.

No, but it's a lot easier for them to pull it off! I'd certainly prefer my colored dolls to be fantasy characters.

11. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      Hmm not really i really like the fantasy colors it has just worked out to where i only have one so far
      Yes my little demon boy Riley is the a resinsoul Ming in red and i love it
      Yes i have not done it yet but my friend dyed her wite doll pale blue and it came out amazing

no if you like the color go for it ^_^

[​IMG]

12. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      Normally yes, but I've seen lots of beautiful dolls in lovely colors.

No, I love purple! And would like to get purple one someday if I could afford it.

No

Not at all! I've seen other people's normal BJD in lovely shade, they really have pull it
      off with the right looks and I'm really envy.

13. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      Absolutely. I'm not even much of a fan of BW dolls (Although I do still own a few I either couldn't get in NS or was too attached to to replace, as well as a grey resin Bygg-). In the case of white resin, I really dislike the color it turns when it yellows. As for the more exotic shades? They just don't appeal to me. I find that rainbow-colored dolls somehow look... I don't know. More "dollish", to me? More like the play-dolls you'd find at the toy store? It's a difficult distinction to express in any way that makes sense. o_0

Well, Sjhan (who's the resin avatar of one of my tabletop RPG characters-) is still a BW doll in spite of my selling on most of the others that were that color. The original was basicly an albino, so I didn't have much of a choice with him... Given that, I'd have to say yes. I have no plans to add any more oddly-colored dolls to my collection, though, character-dolls or not.

Not a chance. To be completely honest, I have yet to see a home dye job that was done well enough not to look like... well, like a home dye job. I know good and well that my own results would be just as uneven and unattractive. o_0

Once they're blue, or orange or purple I'd consider them "fantasy dolls" no matter what their other parts and features might be. Or maybe they could be really devoted sports fans... Not exactly run-of-the-mill Joe Average either way.

14. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      Yes and no I want crazy colored dolls but not for the majority of my dolls.
      Kind of but I did fall in love with the sky blue resinsoul doll so i worked a character around the color.
      As of right now no I wouldn't because I don't have the means or space to do it but maybe in the future.
      Well all the un-natural colored dolls i am planing are fantasy but I would not say they have to be.

15. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      I personally love white skin in the natural skin choice. But it depends.

Yes, it definatly would XD

Nooooo lol i'm terrible with stuff like that and would most definatly ruin the doll!

Yes, well that's what i think anyway lol

16. I've ordered a Grey skin Priscilla from withdoll, I really like non real colors, cause in my opinion they are more special, or something. but yeah, i do think there has to be some sort of story why a doll is "not a normal colour" Ow, god, i sound like a racist XD.
      ow, and i wont dye a doll, probably. i dont really like the outcome, cause there a patches darker than the rest. although there are some beautifully colored dolls here.
      hmms, i still want a purple doll XD

17. I personally prefer my dolls to have natural skin colours, but that's just me. I've seen dolls in fantasy colours that someone managed to make look good, but it personally isn't my thing. :sweat

18. My very first doll was a fantasy colour actually, because her character who means so much to me is a drow (or dark elf as they are sometimes known) and has black skin. She is a fantasy character though. I didn't get black skin but i got a shade of purple which was close enough for me to go for it. I would never dye a doll though, i feel that most of the time it doesn't come out smooth enough for my liking and wouldn't want to ruin my doll.

I don't think that different colours should be for fantasy/sci-fi dolls only. If you fantasy a doll with strange coloured skin then go for it!

[​IMG]

19. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?

Generally, yes. But I really love gray skin dolls. I think they're just beautiful, but gray is also my favorite color.

I'm not really the type of person to go deep into characters. My dolls have simple personalities, things they like, things they don't like, who they are, their occupation, that sort of thing. But I don't go into anything too complex so choosing skin color for me is always based upon what looks good, not how well it "fits" the character.

That depends. I want to try dyeing a doll, but I've seen some poor results... I've also seem some amazing results. I think for my first fantasy colored doll I'd want to purchase it already finished just so I know what I'm getting right from the start. I'm a pretty visual person, so I like to see what I'm getting.

That depends, really. I think as long as it's well done it will turn out nice.

20. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      I do! But I find other colors very appealing on certain dolls.

I did! I bought a gray skin doll recently, and I cannot wait to get her.

No way! I don't have the guts!

Nah...I think with the right make up and clothes any doll could look alright!