1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls in Fantasy Colors?

Oct 26, 2010

1. I only like fantasy type dolls to be fantasy colored. And I would never try to do it myself, I don't trust myself to not ruin a dolly doing something so complicated :(

2. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      Yulp. They can look good in any wig, outfit, style, faceup, etc.

Would buying a colored doll depend on your doll's character?
      I don't do characters for my dolls. I'd be cool with owning a fantasy skinned doll but there are just too many natural skinned dolls I want first.

If you wanted a colored doll, would you ever try to dye him/her yourself?
      Probably not. There seems to be too much maintenance for this to be worth it in my opinion.

Do you feel that only fantasy-character dolls can pull off this look?
      I don't really have an opinion on that...the only colorful dolls I've seen were all fantasy characters as far as I know.

3. My human characters are white, tan or normal skin, but I also have a B/RS boy who is blue to represent the character Acheron from Sherrilyn Kenyon's Nighthunter books, and a red demon Charisma who is supposed to be a succubus. And I have several B/RS dark gray dolls who represent drow characters from Dungeons and Dragons.
      I would not dye a doll myself, in case I ruined it, but I am making some dolls from black materials to also represent drow characters, since I have not been able to find any dolls in black resin.

4. I'm a huge fan of colored dolls, being a fantasy nut. I think if I ever got one, it would be green so I could make a decent orc or alien girl out of it. I think Homestuck has also opened me to the possibility of getting a grey doll. I'm too chicken to dye resin atm, but if I ever see the perfect sculpt for one of my characters that doesn't come in unusual colors, well, I might have to give it a try.

5. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      I'm not sure that I prefer normal looking skin colors, but most my future dolls will probably be some shade of normal just because they're all from a world almost identical to ours, so weird skin tones would definetly stand out
      Definetely! I'd make a character with a weird skin tone just to have the doll version! I just love strange colors, they look so interesting to me!
      Why not? It won't kill me
      Maybe... I guess it could only work for fantasy unless you had a character with an extremely rare skin disease or was one of those extremely inbred people with blue skin. Did I just contradict myself?

6. I do prefer normal skin tones for my dolls (normal meaning any skin tone a human could have) because my dolls' characters are humans. I have had dolls with colourful skin tones, but that's because they were fantasy characters.
      I'd be to afraid to dye a doll, but I would certainly purchase a BJD in a non-normal skin tone if it was for a character!

Actually, for the longest time I've wanted a RS Rong in lilac skin... I'd have to make up some crazy backstory for that! XD

7. I prefer more natural skin. I have yet to see a fantasy colored doll that I liked. I think that I would like maybe a lightly colored doll. The bolder ones are just too much for me. I never really have characters in mind for my dolls, I'm not very creative. I think it's hard to pull off the bolder dolls.

8. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      For my human dolls, yes. For fantasy/anthro dolls, I tend toward more fantasy-ish colors.

It definitely would.

No. As a complete noob, I'd rather pay to have the doll colored for me. There may never come a time when I'm comfortable with dying them myself.

Not necessarily, but I think they have a much better chance of pulling off fantasy colors. A human doll with the right character could do it, though.

9. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      don't prefer one over the other

It definitely would.

99.9% no. I can't spend as much money as these girls cost and then risk ruining them.

Yes. I've never walked down the street and ran into a blue or green person (so far). So if you're going for a "realistic" look don't you kind of have to go with realistic skin tones?

Just wanted to add that I'm all for fantasy colors. As of now I only have one dark gray elf girl, but I definitely want a green girl to be an aquatic elf. And I think a red one would be nice...for something just not sure what yet lol

10. I don't think this has been asked before (sorry if it has), but does anybody own a doll in a different skin color, such as blue, purple, green or gray? I just saw this beautiful doll (Crystal) from Island Doll and one of the skin color options was blue! And if it is the same kind of blue as ID Leshy has, then it looks quite interesting! I'm just wondering if I'm going to regret getting an expensive doll in a skin color that might not be so flexible in terms of accessorizing. There also seems to be very few pictures of dolls with such skin colors around, so what if the color doesn't look good enough when she arrives?

If anybody owns such dolls, could you show me some pictures? Any help is much appreciated! :)

11. Well I do know SapphireStargazer has some RS dolls in the green and blue Resin. (Her Sini and Pax. >W< Both adorable.) I think the more 'fantasy' colors are more fun to play with especially on certain sculpts they can give it a whole new feel.

12. You should check out the Resinsoul/Bobobie forums--there are tons of fantasy-colored dolls, and people are really nice over there. I have several fantasy resins (green Bobobie Isabella, lilac Resinsoul Ai, and gray Impldoll Antonia and Sugarble Hellena) and they're more versatile than you'd think. Gray is neutral, and most accessories will match it. Other colors can be trickier, but you can also get some really neat effects. I would have more fantasy-colored dolls if more companies offered them :)

Here's my Hellena:
      [​IMG]

And here's my BBB Isabella:
      [​IMG]

Good luck!

13. Thanks Arashi! I'm glad you think Sini & Pax are adorable. :)

I can honestly say that in my opinion, the green and blue resin from Resinsoul is gorgeous and well worth it. The colours are vivid and look really nice. In terms of wigs, eyes, face-ups, clothes and accessories, you just have to figure out the style you're going for, and then find some colours that look good with the resin. Blue and green aren't as unforgiving as one might think, actually. There are lots of possibilities! And yes...come on over to the RS/BBB discussion thread! We will spam you with many fantasy-coloured dolls. ;)

Just a note on Resinsoul's blue. There are two types of blue resin available from them; "Blue" and "Sky Blue". The Blue resin is a kind of pale, creamy blue while the Sky Blue is a richer and truer shade of blue. My Sini is the Sky Blue colour.

Here are my fantasy coloured dolls!

Sini Iloa (Resinsoul Mei - Sky Blue):
      [​IMG]
      Waiting For Tyler by SapphireStargazer, on Flickr

Pax Viridis (Resinsoul Song - Green):
      [​IMG]
      Companion Cube by SapphireStargazer, on Flickr

14. The "weirdest" I've owned was a pink Bobobie Nissa. Not NS-P, but actually PINK! Though with time, he turned more of a NS color. My sister had a grey RS Mu, the color was really nice. Another friend has a green BBB tiny, it's cute!

I've only owned IslandDolls in tan and normal skin, so I'm not sure about their blue, but the resin is really smooth and even, even in the tan skin, so I'd think the blue would be nice too.

15. I've got a Sky Blue RS doll on the way n_n

16. I don't have any, so no pictures from me, sorry. I would however LOVE a gray skin doll, or even a light blue would be awesome! I loved the Soom Taco and Dolomi ^^

17. Wow! Mei looks like a totally different sculpt in blue!!! That is very pretty

18. My friend had a red BBB Elfkin that I recently re-homed for her and he was very nice. The red skin was not hard to accessorize with since it is more a brick red than a cherry red. He even looked good in green without looking like a Christmas elf.

19. I totally love the green from RS and covet a Dai in that shade in particular. I've just swapped for a dark green Ju but she was home dyed and is a lot darker than RS's green. I also kind of like the Avatar Blue color Miro Doll is doing and I'm thinking of eventually getting an MSD girl in that color too. I don't think I'd like pink or yellow or baby blue but I think the darker shades are kind of interesting.

20. I own:
      (19 white--some people don't think it's a natural skin tone)
      8 Grey
      3 Blue
      1 Pink
      1 Red

I don't see how the color would limit accessories. I've never had any worries about that, anyway.

The color might limit the types of characters your doll could play. My dolls often play various characters. But if yours don't, then, again, color should not matter. Your doll will just be... whatever, and stay whatever. No problem with the color, in that case.

You may wish to check and see if the colors of that company fade quickly or not. Most are as stable as any normal skin tone, though... but I had one of the French Resin Bambicronys in blue that quickly shifted towards green (mine not as bad as others, but still)-- however, that was a pretty specific problem. I haven't heard of any big problems with color skin tones after that--and I've bought other blue dolls since then, not worried about it.

Here is my one problem girl before she went more yellow (blue + yellow = green). Bambicrony Misty Blue Kumi Elf--
      [​IMG]07-04-Bambicrony1-513z449 by aprilllee, on Flickr

No problems with the color of the doll, though! She looks better in certain colors, but that's true of many dolls in normal, pink or white...

#120 april, May 9, 2013
      Last edited: Jan 30, 2018