1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls in the news.

Aug 8, 2009

1. LOL - I can only imagine what the Australian media would have to say!

2. I don't think you seemed "obsessed", not in a bad way at all! You just seemed like, as I said, a happy doll hobbyist, and I think under the pressure of being on the news [that would make anyone nervous!] you did an admirable job!:):aheartbea

3. The most disturbing thing was the faceup on that doll that was on display in the newsroom...not to my taste.

4. I thought this was not bad at all compared to a clip I saw of reborn doll collectors in Europe.
      Made me wish the Volks store was nearer!

5. I don't really think so. To us, maybe -- but when new toy lines hit the shelves, especially around the holiday season (when this report seems to have originally been aired) -- the company is often asked how many they expect to sell or have sold. They seemed to treat it as a 'new holiday chase item' and to them it's in the collectible toy category more than the art category, so it wasn't especially surprising to me at all that the question was asked. Yes, to us, it might be out of line or we may know that such questions might be considered rude, but that isn't something people know by default. It really isn't. Since it's a typical question... I can't really fault them too much for asking it. Every time a new game console hits the shelves, we see that question asked, after all, don't we? To them, this is likely no different -- it's an expensive 'toy' item.

I didn't think the collectors looked like idiots at all. Some looked nervous, yeah, but like they were having fun. I felt a bit bad for the younger lady asked the anatomical correctness question, but thought she handled a very awkward question (sometimes especially for someone younger) with incredible aplomb!

Sure, the newscasters didn't fawn all over the dolls like we do, but heck, I wouldn't expect them to -- after all, it isn't their passion, they're just tellin' the story. They were definitely more positive than I can imagine some others might be. I get the impression the lead reporter there probably really liked what she was seeing, too! Or at least she seemed the most positive about it than the other two that were more or less spectating. I wouldn't be completely surprised if she ends up with a girl or boy of her own some time. ;)

That they focused on the idea that they are customizable very heavily is a big plus to me in seeing this report. Yes, they talked about the price tag -- but that didn't seem to be the #1 issue. 'Oh my goodness, the sky is falling, $1k for a doll!' is something I could easily see a report fixating on, but while it was mentioned, they didn't go there, and they seemed to focus on the fun and the creativity more heavily.

Reports like this really do have to mention price, though. Warning people 'Look, this is not an inexpensive hobby' is not a bad thing -- think of all the people who probably saw this report and likely would have thought, "Ooh, that would be a cool, probably inexpensive Xmas gift for my -insert person here-!" otherwise. Would you really wish a flood of people expecting to pick up a neat doll for a relative or friend in the price ranges they would be expecting (probably $100 or less for the completely clueless) on the Volks US store, and the resulting freakouts when they saw what the actual price was? I sure wouldn't! That would be incredibly awkward for the people working there, and considering the way people do outrage around holiday 'toy' shopping... I have a feeling there would have been a lot of uncomfortable feelings if it hadn't been mentioned that really could have offended in much more profound ways.

6. That was sort of... And odd report. XD I felt like it started out portraying the dolls as creepy and the collectors as a bit odd (in that smelly, "super-trekkie" sort of way)--but then by the end it was all laughs and happy fun time and pretty dollies. XD

Honestly, I'm not really sure how I feel about it--personally, I didn't know of a single person in my life (before I wandered into the BJD community unknowingly~!) that knew about BJDs, let alone collected them! Even now, when I go to buy fabric at Wal-Mart (which I won't be able to do much longer~! *tear*) I always laugh and tell the women that I'm buying doll fabric (since I only buy 1/8th of a yard)... Then have to launch into that classic explanation of BJDs. O.o

I did like that the main reporter for the report seemed pretty open minded--she only did the *super dramatic life-changing event srs news bsns* voice once (towards the beginning) and after that she was really just informing the public. At the end, she even threw in the; "Collectors say this isn't the most expensive hobby--Some people collect cars~!" Which is a great point. ^_____^

In the end, I certainly don't think it was a bad news report by any means... I sort of got the feeling that the people that set it up started out kind of biased, but as they went on they were able to learn some more about the hobby and even out their views a little. <3

(I certainly can't say there are any news reports about dolls where I live, either XD)

7. So I did a search, and saw a lot of individual threads like "BJD in a movie" or "bjd ad in magazine"

But I wanted this to be a little more general. But mods, if this is inappropriate, please take the action needed.

Were you ever watching something, or reading something, or traveling, and saw something BJD related and you did a double-take just to make sure you saw it properly?

This happened to me the other day while I was watching NCIS. Abby was sitting there doing her normal work on her computer, and I look on the shelf above her, and what do I see? A cute little BJD!!!! And it was definitely one from a fellow resin ABJD company! I wish I could remember what episode it was, but I was QUITE surprised!

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

8. Abby has BJD's? I know she has BeGoth dolls but BJD's is a first for me.
      I was reading the paper once and saw an ad for an opening for an art expo. On the picture was a nicely dressed young man (sort of 50's dress style) with a BJD on his arm. I was pleasantly surprised. I think I have the article somewhere but no clue where exactly.

9. Which episode of NCIS was that? I wanna see! :D
      I've saw one on some korean drama if I'm not wrong its called "Playful Kiss"
      It was sitting in an art room (sewing room?) MSD sized.
      I've only saw a brief glimpse of it and had to rewind it to confirm though :D

10. There's actually a Phillipines-based virtual band called Mistula whose members are all BJDs. I thought it was quite odd, but it was somewhat amusing watching their videos.

11. oh *.* i have to look that band up!
      i've seen a korean (indie?) music video, there was this BJD girl wandering around town, taking pictures and in the end she met a BJD boy. it was very sweet~
      and if korean dramas, i've seen one in Biscuit Teacher and Star Candy (?? im not sure if it's the correct english title) in which a schoolgirl was carrying around her doll all the time, and also in Bad Guy, in which the rich girl was collecting BJDs
      but after seeing that in Korea ppl promote their shop or improve their display by sitting BJDs in the display window, i wasn't too surprised :)

12. this works pretty well here too ;)
      I'm a crafter, as is my friend who is also a member here - we make human-sized stuff and don't sell things here so this is not a sales promo - but create a few BJD sized items in order to photograph our dolls with them and use the photos in our displays at shows. People love it. We even had offers to buy our signs at the last show, and gave away a few tags with the pictures on them.

13. i love ncis! I have to keep an eye out for bjds now~

14. I was pleasantly surprised to see a wonderful, absolutely stunning, SD-sized (if my memory doesn't fail me) BJD on Kerli's music video "Walking on Air" > u<

Also I will have to rewatch the entirety of NCIS now xD (not that I mind, I love the series~)

15. I knew about her BeGoth dolls too, but there was DEFINITELY a little MSD sitting on her shelf above her computer. I wish I wasn't in a hurry when I caught the glimpse of it.

Zeodyte: That sounds most interesting, I am definitely looking that up!!!

16. wow, that sounds pretty awesome! i'm sure i would love them as well~ :3

17. There is a game series that involves 'puppets', and the toys they refer to as puppets are pretty much the spitting image of a BJD, which made me wonder if the creators owned one. Sure, their bodies are all attached to strings (because they're supposed to be puppets) but you can easily see how much they look like BJDs. Here's a link to one of their games: http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/12053/puppetshow-lost-town/index.html

I heard of Mistula a few years back. Can't say I'm a fan of their music, but their characters are so well developed, and I love the concept behind them. I visit Fully Articulated, which is the band's Wordpress blog. Updates tend to be a little slow, but there's a lot already there.

I've never watched much of NCIS, but I did a little searching. Seems like it is a BJD, and apparently the doll might also be named Abby? Either that or people are making dolls of the character.

18. In another of Kerli's music videos, "Tea Party" the video is populated by BJD's that are alternately represented as people dressed in the same costumes as the doll. It flicks back and forth between the scenes in her head of the 'tea party' people and her actually playing with the dolls. I think they auctioned those dolls off or something, I saw something on it a long time ago here on the forum in one of the news sections.

19. I love Mistula - the idea of them, although the music is ok - & read Uno's blog.... I believe Joey's a DoA member & posts off & on.