1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

dolls just for lonely people?

Mar 3, 2010

1. What?! No, no no! :o
      That's why doll meet ups exist. They're planned to meet new dollies their doll parents! :)
      I believe that in any hobby you'll get into, there will always be socialization.

2. I have anxiety issues, depression, and other mental issues. I'm also an introvert, I LOVE TO BE ALONE, and shy but that's neither here nor there. And I'm a bit of a shut-in. The shut-in part is moooostly because I really hate where I live, I don't know anybody here and we should be moving soon so I don't want to make friends only to leave them behind.

I don't take the term "friend" lightly like most people seem to (especially my BF, he thinks EVERYONE is his friend is he talks to them longer than 30 seconds).

That said... I'm pretty certain I'm not into dolls for companionship or whatever. I don't think they have souls or feelings and I don't talk to them and I don't "spoil" them (though it's all fun to think about it in a passing, silly, fun sort of way). I like to have my big girl on my lap and have the dolls within reach/sight sometimes because I like fiddling with things and they're the ultimate fiddler's toy (I USED to want Bucky Balls, then I got BJDs!). I also have them to practice my photography with 'cause it's sooo much easier than trying to get people to pose for me haha.

So they do provide me some sort of company and comfort and other things that people do not, I guess. But I don't think it's any different than what other people's hobbies provide them.

I just noticed Kiyakotari just mentioned something about a "dolls as replacement for children" topic. This is really interesting to me and I think ties in with this topic. I do not like babies or kids and I never have, in any way, shape, or form, so I am not trying to fill any sort of "void" there.

However, and this is really interesting to me: I feel like getting BJDs has nearly completely fulfilled my "I want a dog" void. I wanted a dog to be my BFF and someone to cuddle and hang out with. While the dog void is filled, I don't feel like the dolls are really filling the BFF part of the void but they're a nice distraction from it and I realize they could lead to having some friends.

I kinda still want a cat but I want to wait. And I'd still love to have some sort of mini pet... but that will have to wait as well until after the move.

3. I'm sure they help lonely people, but its not a lonely hobby. I mean, the doll itself isn't what helps with loneliness necessarily, most people who really get into the hobby do it for the community. To meet other like minded, creative individuals, and be a branch off other hobbies such as writing, sewing, knitting, beading, wirework... Etc!

4. I don't know about everyone else, but for me.. sometimes I feel lonely. I have a family. I have a husband and kids, but dolls give me a different type of security. I'll type that out even if it does sound a little strange. So in that way I am lonely and I feel my dolls help me with that. I don't have many close girl friends that live near me. I've struggled to find any artist friends in my area. All my friends that are girls are many many states away or at least a good 4 hour drive. That's just my case. With others I dont' know their lives. I don't assume that we all love dolls are lonely in some way. I do think dolls probably take a spot in our hearts that there just isn't anything else that could.

5. Just dropping a line to say I appreciate the level of honesty some of the comments here are. :)

6. I wouldn't say that dolls are just for lonely people, but for those of us who are, they do help. I'm bipolar and suffer anxiety. And I'm socially aekward to an extreme. My dolls aren't companions for me, but they are a great activity that's quiet and restful. They also give me the opportunity to spend time communicating with people like I am on this forum, which is a thing that makes me feel connected and social, but in a safe way.