1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

dolls just for lonely people?

Mar 3, 2010

1. I thought doll can really change us much. They are not just doll, but actually also can be our friends, teachers and family.
      Maybe people do not understand the exact meaning of it, but I really love them and always have new feeling when I see them each time^^

2. I wouldn't say that Dolls are for lonely people, but sometimes it's a hobby that you prefer to be more alone, like most of hobbies. It's for yourself.
      Personally, I'm not what people would call "anti-social", but I do like my private time when taking pictures of my dolls, and do all the handling and artistic customization.
      And then eventually share the experience with other people.
      Most of people mistake "being focused" with just being "anti-social"

3. I'm a loner myself..but it's not limited for lonely people,right?
      People with loves one also buy dolls as well..

4. While I have antisocial tendencies, I'm not lonely. I'm just a solitary person. Sure, if a person is lonely, and friends aren't close by, maybe the doll can help. In my case, my doll is meant to be a subject for my ideas; he'll be there for me to play with and photograph when I want my solitude because that's when my ideas form, and when I am the most creative.

5. I have a lot of freinds but have a tendancy to get lonely if im not able to see anyone for a long time. Even when i am lonely though i seek out family or online chatting with my freinds, holding one of my dolls wouldnt make me feel better it would make me feel worse because they cant interact with me.
      I think that dolls can be for any kind of person, if they help people who find it hard to socialize, or gives them the confidence to go to meets and meet new people, then all the better, I certainly dont think that dolls are just for lonely or antisocial people, I guess some people can get out of hand and close themself off from real interaction in exchange for spending time with their dolls, but thats rare, and most people would agree than real interaction with real people is more healthy and more enjoyable than with a doll; and if dolls are a part of socializing with another person then great!

6. I'm very antisocial, so maybe lol
      but its not really by choice I am just too weird to be around :P

7. I myself have always been a bit of a loner. Which I describe as enjoying being alone. I'm married and have young adult kids and 6 dogs who all keep me company. I have a couple of friends But I'm just not big on having alot of people around me all the time. I tend to think it's a very normal thing and I'm not at all lonely. I'd rather be like me than be someone who needs others to keep them company and entertaining them at all times. Yes I like my dolls but I don't talk to them Well ok so I occasionally talk to my wonder frogs lol Give them little kisses on their heads but they call to me.

Theres a huge difference in being alone and being lonely. You can be lonely with lots of people around you.

8. I have a job that requires me to meet lots of people all day while being very nice and polite and calm and kind, all things which don't come very naturally to me, so at the end of the day I LOVE being alone! I haven't been lonely since I discovered I had an imagination. It sounds kind of sad, but I would rather be writing or painting or simply daydreaming than being with other people. When I'm alone I can be myself, simply put.
      I'm alone but I'm never lonely, so I wouldn't say that dolls are for lonely people. Maybe they're for people who enjoy being with a semblance of human company, that can't judge you or criticise you. Dolls will always accept you, and the feeling of acceptance is very important.

9. I agree there, I've gotten insulted a lot in my life, dolls won't call me a freak or something

10. Hmm, I guess I would consider myself anti-social at times. lol I have a lot of real life friends but some days I just don't want to deal with them! The drama! :P But I definitely don't think that dolls are ONLY for lonely anti-social people. I love dolls because some are beautiful and artistic, and it does give me yet another thing to do in my spare time. But I don't have dolls to be my companions. But yeah, if someone feels like filling their loneliness with a doll, I'm all for it. Why not let them feel better instead of going through life lonely. :)

11. Many of the doll people I know are practically drowning in people all day long, and working with the dolls--playing with them, making things for them, customizing them--is a nice way of unwinding on your own.
      Telling stories with them by taking pictures is gravitating back toward being social, interacting with people online, but it's still grounded in what you did before that, in how you worked on ideas by yourself.
      I also find workshop days and meets and conventions can really recharge your creative batteries and give you new ideas. Yes, some people really have to challenge themselves to go out and meet new people this way, but I'm always thinking it's a great way to meet new dolls!

12. I'm not really a lonely person. I wouldn't go as far to say that I'm antisocial; I have close friends that I love being with, but I don't mind being by myself. I think my dolls occupy my time and give me something beautiful to look at and think about while I'm by myself. :)

13. A lot of people seem to disagree that dolls are just for lonely people, yet many of them say they enjoy being alone, which is interesting...I guess I'm an introvert (the best definition I've heard for introvert/extrovert is "someone who gets their energy from being alone/being with others"), but I'd be incredibly lonely without real friends and family, and loneliness is a void I'd never try to fill with something inanimate. I think dolls are one of the more social "alternative" hobbies, actually, because a large part of owning a doll is sharing pictures and talking to fellow doll-owners. I know I'd be disappointed if no one commented on my pics or posts and I look forward to meeting fellow dolly lovers IRL.

14. I don't think dolls are just for lonely people. One of my non-doll friends think I have dolls because I'm lonely, but actually I'm not. I like the dolls because they are really pretty and unique from other dolls. It's also fun to have because most people have never seen them before and I like to show them off to my friends.

15. I like the point you make here. I guess it all comes down to the difference between being alone and being lonely. I am alone most of the time... but I have cats and dogs to help with the lonliness. Also, the house is just to eerily quiet without them around being noisey, which is shoes a doll could never fill.

I have dolls because I like the pretty customizable side of them. Do I talk to them when I am alone (or not so alone)? Sure. Does my father think that makes me crazy? He says he's not going to call the crazy farm until they start talking back, lol.

I do not think my dolls could help with lonliness in the times that I do feel it. If anything they may intensify it with their always watching and never talking back.

16. Goodness, no. Sure there are some people who don't have many friends and are considered "lonely" and have dolls, and some could possibly go to an extent of their dolls being their only friends.. I'm completely unaware if this happens, and I'm certainly not against it... But for me, personally, I have a lot of friends (some people even call me "too popular") and I have a BJD and someday hope to get more... They're a hobby suited for certain people, regardless if you're considered "lonely" or not... But then again, what is "lonely"? But that's another topic not generally suited for DoA.
      Either way, you can be "lonely" or you can be the most popular person on the planet! and still have a love and passion for BJD's. That's my opinion.~

17. I think that dolls help people who are not necessarily always lonely, but perhaps just shy, like myself. Sometimes in awkward situations I wish I had a doll or two with me, such as when at a party my mom drags me to where I know no one but my mom. I like dolls because I know they won't judge me or whisper about how strange I am or anything, so they are definitely a comfort item. See, I have a hard time meeting real people because I am never sure what to say to them, and am therefore afraid they would find me rude or stand-offish and judge me...but with dolls around, I have a topic to talk about, and though I still get the occasional false judgment and odd stare, dolls make things much more bearable for me.

18. I've heard that doll collecting is a real loner's hobby, and for myself I would say that's probably true for the most part. I like to be alone and don't need friends around me all the time to be happy. But I wouldn't say that my dolls "keep me company" at all, it's just a hobby.

19. I don't think thats true, I'm a really social person, I try to get out often and I love being around people.
      I wanted a doll because well I fell in love with them when I saw them. They're so lovely and seem like alot of fun, plus it's another artistic outlit for me I would think.

20. I'm a loner and I don't like being bothered for the most part. and I'm not a lonley perons and I social when I feel the need for it. But I don't feel lonely and feel happiest when I'm not being bothered. I just collect dolls because they're pretty and I can take pictures of them.