1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

dolls just for lonely people?

Mar 3, 2010

1. Well, I am social, talkative woman and have lots of friends that I meet all the time. I work with other people and have large family. For me dolls are part of all artistic hobbies I enjoy doing, though I must admit, I have only some friends which also are in doll hobby. Many hobbies that I enjoy, like reading books, writing stories, violin playing, handicrafts, photographing, dolls etc are something that you do mostly alone, but I like hobbies that give me chance to concentrate and relax.

For sure there´s people of all kind in this hobby, so there´s not one and only truth how is a doll hobbyist like. Though I´ve noticed sometimes doll hobby (or other online-in-internet-forums -styled hobby) brings otherwise lonely people together, which is very nice thing to happen. I´ve seen the same in writer´s forums too.

2. Dolls for the lonely. I don't really think that dolls are for the lonely. I also think that it would depend on how people view things. A lot of people buy it because they enjoy it, but to outsiders who don't know them, would probably think they are loners, anti-social because dolls bring that idea that they're for lonely people. For me though, it's a form of a hobby and for art purposes. I like the doll because it's beautiful and it's art.

3. I'm not at all lonely--I'm a Happy Hermit with a very social job. The dolls are fabulous company when I get home because they're not talking! :lol:

4. I'm a loner, but definitely not lonely. I just feel way more comfortable doing things by myself/on my own, and I've never been one to make a ton of friends. Of course that doesn't mean that I don't have any friends, because I certainly do and I love them to pieces, but I'm honestly way more happy being by myself. I already know that my boy (when I get him) is going to be a lovely little companion for me, and one that won't demand anything, judge me, talk back, pick fights, etc. I really can't stand drama, so I pretty much keep socializing to a minimum. Like I said, I love my friends, but I need my space. Lots of it.

5. I'm very much an introvert - always have been, but I don't recall ever feeling lonely in my life! If I could ever silence my brain for any length of time it might be a completely different story ;) As it is, my dolls are just one of several creative outlets for me.

6. I'm also an introvert, and really not good at socializing. I do love art and beautiful things, and feel comfort in staring at or playing with dolls. I'm happily married with two children, so I can say that I'm not lonely.

7. I am so glad to read that there are other people who are loners, but they're not lonely. I cannot tell you how tired I am of being judged 'dysfunctional' because I don't want to hang out with everybody and their sister. I just don't feel an overwhelming urge to socialize, which is probably a good thing since I'm a musician, which tends to take up my time with practice. There. Now that I've ranted, I will get off my soapbox and tell you that I don't think dolls are just for lonely people; I'm not lonely, and I love to fiddle with my dolls, make little things for them, change their wigs and eyes, etc. I like to use my imagination, and my dolls are great for that. It keeps me young.

8. For me I think it's just the opposite. I have lots of friends, family, busy life, etc., but I really value my alone time. Hanging out alone in a quiet room with the dolls is a nice respite for me. I played with dolls a lot as a child, and was alone a lot because we lived out in the country with no neighbors and I had three older brothers who were busy with their own stuff, but I don't remember ever feeling lonely. It was a happy time- I think that's why I enjoy alone time with my dolls so much now.

9. If someone feels lonely I don't think just having a doll will help much. Attending meet ups, naturally, would help. But just having a doll - I don't think so. Perhaps a puppy or kitten would work better.

10. There are two ways to look at this: I'm a very social person, I have LOTS of friends, and they too think the hobby is really neat :) I'm nothing close to antisocial. However, sometimes I just like to kinda be by myself with my doll sometimes...you know? It probably sounds extremely weird, but it kinda lets me relax a little bit and use my imagination ^^

11. Same here. All day every day I see so many people. So much talking, so much city noise! I hang out with friends, go out to eat, go to shows. Dolls are perfect for when you need some quiet time. So I'd say dolls may be for lonely people but they are also for busy active people.

12. I was lonelier before I got to own dolls, but that is because I met so many new super people at meets when I got to have a doll XD

13. Hhhmmm, that's a good question, I think I was lonely as a teenager because I felt I didn't fit in and was misunderstood (just like every other teenager I guess!) and maybe if these dolls had been round then they would have been like little companions for me, so I can see where you are coming from.

Nowadays I am a very sociable, chatty woman with plenty of friends but i still value time on my own for my hobbies... I kind of like the company of dolls because they are silent and let you get on with things!

14. I think I collect dolls because I love making characters, it's nothing to do with lonliness for me; I write books so I have a ton of characters in my head at any given time and I like to see some of the stronger ones brought to life in 3D. That's about it!

15. There is a stigma for people that own/collect many dolls, whether they are resin or any other kind.

16. I don't think dolls are "for" any specific type of people. Not people who want kids, not socially awkward people, not "scene kids". I'm not one to stereotype in any case. But as a lonely shut in I personally do use my dolls as a kind of sanity protector. Despite being kind of a prisoner in my own house (or sometimes even body) posing them around and taking care of them does give me something to focus on. They aren't the same as the fuzzy bundle of joy that was my hamster though, unfortunately he died of some cancer like illness after only having him for 3 months : (.

But the dolls are definitely better than nothing. I know what it's like to still be completely alone without having them or a docile rodent, so I would be devastated if I couldn't even have the dolls. That might just be because my brain is wired a certain way though.

For the record, I also am naturally kind of a loner anyway, but good grief, I don't prefer being completely and utterly alone for over a month (which is the current situation). So right now I am a lonely loner.

17. My parents are divorced, and I do seem to take Cyrano out when I'm at dad's, which is when I'm always at my lonliest/saddest, but EVERYONE has those moments. I think dolls are great for lonely times, not lonely people.

18. i am a loney person but its not why i got into the bjd hobby.for me its either a way for me to stile something have her wear neet and different clothes (of course she needs to like them yeah im weird) or let my inner self come out. but i don't know maybe im just weird. but is there anything wrong with being weird i think not.

19. I think that every person has lonely times. That doesn't mean you are anti social or a lonely person. A doll is a companion to some, an art piece to some or just an object. If you enjoy your doll (s) , isn't that what is important?

20. I don't have dolls because I have no friends, I have them because I have GREAT friends. I only see them maybe once a month though, so I miss them terribly most of the time.

Dolls don't hug back, but they're still good.