1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls or accessories?

Jan 15, 2011

1. Would you prefer two or more dolls without wigs or other accessories, or one with all of the things you want for them?
      I think it depends on just how badly I want the dolls.. If I couldn't decide which one, I'd probably buy both and get the other things later. If one were more of a whim thing, I'd buy just the one I want most with all his/her stuff. I get rather shocked by shipping costs, so I'd take that into consideration and, knowing myself, would order everything I could from the same company instead of various ones. So if they were both from the same company, I'd likely bring home two nakey dollies XD Sorry if this doesn't make sense ^^;

If you go for the second option of buying just the one doll, does it make it boring to have all the things you want?
      I dunno.. I've never gotten everything I want with the doll itself. Both my boys have come with bare-minimal things to start, then I build them up as I can afford it/make it. It can be frustrating to be missing an essential part of a doll, like a face-up, but I think that might just make it all the more fun when you do get it ^^;

2. I agree that it's personal preference, but I think in my case it was fortunate that finances forced me to go the "one doll and then focus on stuff" route, at least for my first. For one, a lot of people buy their first doll, then realize that, while this is definitely the hobby for them, that size or gender just isn't for them; that discovery would certainly be more painful if these people had bought not just one expensive doll but two only to have to rehome them at a loss.

Second, dolls accumulate stuff no matter what. I'm not entirely sure how it happens, but it does. XD I actually had a coffee cup, a pair of real glass brandy snifters, and some SD size food around even before I adopted my girl Agatha. Somehow I've also ended up with four outfits, two purchased and two I made (would have had five if I hadn't sold one), three wigs, and *eight* pairs of eyes. For one doll! I do need to cull some stuff, since some of those eyes I know I'll never use, and two of those wigs are too big. But I know I'll still have more stuff for her than I can use at any one given time. That's just how this hobby seems to work. XD

Point is, once you have your first doll, and know that's the size you're going to stick with, then over time you'll probably accumulate spares. Definitely spare clothes and shoes, probably a spare pair of eyes or two, maybe an extra wig. This means that, in the future, if you decide to adopt two nude dolls instead of one fullset, you can at least have them presentable while your funds recover. Just how I see it. :)

3. Would you prefer two or more dolls without wigs or other accessories, or one with all of the things you want for them?
      This was my previous strategy, but it failed miserably.I prefer buying dolls with faceups and basic clothes/shoes.However, the extras beyond that can usually wait.

If you go for the second option of buying just the one doll, does it make it boring to have all the things you want?
      No. It helps me bond, because the sculpt has more character. I'm not a terribly creative person, so I can't imagine a sculpt as what it will look like until it's actually done.

4. Would you prefer two or more dolls without wigs or other accessories, or one with all of the things you want for them?

I seem to have gone with buying all my dolls first, and collecting items for face ups, materials for making their clothes, patterns. I would like to have a room for them and design an entire setting for them. They are Elves, so the theme would be forest, a working pond, stream etc. things like that.

no not at all. I found I could not stop at just one doll. :-)

5. Dollies first, clothes second, accessories third and working on the "Carrera Manor Great Room" in between.

6. It depends whether the doll is fullset which means default wig and outfit are included,also whether the doll is limited or not.Usually I will get fullset whether he is fullset or no then wait for his arrival to finally decide what accessories to get for him.So far I havent come across any cases that I have insufficient fund for accessories....I only experience that for dolls xD....but I don't think it is boring for getting everything for him.At least I'll get to doll him up and saving for another boy at the same time.It's also a period of time for me to build up the bond between me and the boy.

7. I would rather get one doll and sort out their clothes and accessories first. I think if I had two blank dolls lying around I might feel a bit daunted and they could end up waiting for a lot longer.

8. Like many before me said, it's strictly personal. I prefer to have one "finished" doll, with proper wig, eyes and at least one set of clothes and pair of shoes, with a face-up, than two blank, naked, bald and eye-less dolls, but again - it all depeneds on your personal preferences.

9. For me I was lucky my doll came as a full set since, I know for sure I'd want to buy it all the accessories for it's arrival. As much as I love my doll even with out the hair and clothes, it feels so much more fulfilling when you have them posed or standing around clothed and in the image of what you wanted it to be!

That and I agree with everyone above, the doll isn't limited so there's no rush to get the second doll immediately! It might even help to see after having one doll whether you really even want the second one. Or perhaps you've realized that you want a different sculpt from the second one.

10. I myself love full sets but only if I like the outfit. If it is a limited set I try to buy it in full (even if I don´t like the outfit)
      I think - as many others here - it is a personal thing. In your case I would go for the two dolls. You really can save on shipping if purchasing both together and it will be alot of fun to find/sew outfits for them. I´d rather like to have two new dolls I can dress up instead having one with everything :)

11. Well, in the past I have tried to aquire dolls I want without really getting them all accessorized or dressed in clothing I felt would suit them.. My dolls weren't naked. They all had eyes and wigs that would work for them, but I really didn't spend much time on the clothes... Now I'm trying to get all the clothing for my dolls before I get another doll that I want. I've got one to the point where I'm nearly totally happy, or at least I will be when their shoes come in. :) I've got another one with an outfit on the way, but she'll still need some new shoes. This pretty much leaves one left for me to get taken care of before I buy my next doll... I think I should probably do this from now on...

12. I was just in this situation! I chose to go with one doll and a bunch of accessories/props/clothes. Personally, I wouldn't be able to do much with no props/accessories and two blank and nude dolls. I really want to do things like photostories, making dioramas, etc. So for my purposes it was a good decision.