1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls Resembling You?

Feb 1, 2011

1. I do have a character that is a pretty blatent author self-insert, and I've always wanted a Volks SD Kun to play the part. She probably resembles an idealized version of me and not what I actually look like, but she's got these adorable sleepy eyes that are just perfect. :D

2. Wow, everyone has such great and interesting answers :kitty2 I can definitely relate on the "not a top priority" part...I'd probably be wanting the doll for a long time before I actually got around to buying it. Not to mention I'd be so fussy over the wig and eyes...and clothes :lol:

3. I'd be scared if I ever saw a doll that resembled me, haha. I'd be interested in seeing it! . . But, I don't really know if I'd want to own it or not. On one hand, I know it'd never look exactly like me. . just some kind of idealized version? Regardless, when you have the free range to make the doll look like almost anything you'd like for it to, I don't see much of a point to make it look like something I see every day. So, I have mixed feelings.

4. Although I don't think any of the dolls out there looks like me, I've noticed that I like dolls that have features similar to mine.

I have roundish face and small nose, and my first love at sight was Volks four-sisters head ^w^ (see the similarity?)
      & I also have Unoa on her way right now, who also has roundish face and small nose.
      (some of the dolls I was attracted to include Volks Kun, Mika, Hewitt, Elfdoll Dami&Yumi... etc)

Somehow, I've been less attracted to dolls with angular features and pointy nose, which are the qualities I'm lacking.

5. I have actually had a few people comment to me that I look like a particular doll ~ but when I went to look at it..it was creepy. They were right. But, I don't know if I want to have her... too REAL.
      But, I have added my 'beauty mark' to one of my dolls and have no problem. It's just kind of representational..not a likeness. I hope that makes sense.

6. I haven’t seen a sculpt that looks like me, but no, I wouldn’t want a doll that looked like me.
      There is a reason why there are no mirrors in my room and only one in the whole house. XP

- Enzyme

7. This is the best answer ever.

=^__^=
      Anneko

8. I am not pretty so I think there won't be a doll sculpt look like me. :sweat If there is, I think I won't buy it... :eusa_naug because I can imagine how ugly it will be haha... :lol:

9. I didn't ever think that there was a doll that looked like me until I asked my parents for my dream doll for my 21st. I emailed the link to my mum, and told her what colour eyes I would get and things, and after a while she emailed back with "She will look like you!" And I thought about it and she is sort of right. My dream doll is going to have dark brown/black hair, blue eyes, and has quite a small mouth - all features that I have. I think it must have been something subconscious or something! The doll isn't super similar to me, but as I say some features are definitely the same. I have a very round face, which isn't often found in bigger doll sculpts!

10. I sometimes dress my dolls up to match my outfits, buy wigs that look like my hair, and buy eyes that match my eyes. None of them look exactly like me, but the effect is awesome.

If I found a doll that really did look like me, I would be tempted. On the other hand, I love the flexibility of the dolls so much that I'd likely dress her as something other than myself fairly often. :D

11. I looked for a doll that looked like me, so that I could edit the things I didn't like about me on her, but I did not find one. Not I think it is better that I didn't because I dont want to stare at myself all day, nor do I want people to handle a doll version of me, just seems a bit off to me.

12. My daughter has been told that she looks like her BBB Mei. Hehe.

13. Although I would never buy a doll that looks like me (for a start I've never SEEN one) I've had fun dressing my doll in the same outfit. For example, I went to goth week and I made an outfit that matched mine and had her out with me. I got my photo taken for Gothic Lolita Bible (a very popular japanese magazine!) as we were in gothic lolita outfits. I need to dig up that photo...

But I digress! In my mind it boarders on obsessive to make your doll exactly like you, but there's no harm in dressing up together :)

14. I've been looking for a "mini-me" BJD since I got into the hobby, lol. Not constantly, but every now and then I'll want one and go hunting for the right sculpt, usually with no results. It's not hard to find a girl doll with round cheeks and a pointy chin, but it is usually a little harder to find one with really small lips (it probably would be hard to sculpt anything that small:| )and a straight nose to boot.

This thread made me think about it again and I think I have found one that would make a good me-doll. So there she goes, added onto my Wishlist :lol:. She would totally be the doll version of me, but I don't think it would be obsessive--a little weird or creepy for other people, maybe:sweat--she would just be like an avatar to my dolls, a representation of me in that small form.

15. I've had a few people tell me I look a little like one of my boy dolls...XD; Makes me wonder if I could cosplay him sometime. 8D;

16. That would be ridiculously cute!

17. I've never really seen any dolls that look like me.
      I think it'd be kinda cool to have a mini me, but I dunno.
      I have see a lot of dolls that remind me of people I know...some being spot on.
      It's kinda weird hahah.
      8-)

18. I don't figure I'd find one that looked a lot like me in terms of sculpt; my face is chubby and not in a particularly cute way. I don't know if I'd buy one if I ever did find one, though. I don't really want to see myself sitting up in the bookshelf. It makes me think of that short film "Alma" by Rodrigo Blaas and that's pretty shudder-worthy. *_*

19. You know, the funny thing... I DID find a doll that resembles me... and I DID buy her... LOL

Dollmore's Alexia doesn't resemble me as much in the face sculpt department (her lips are too big), but her body is almost exactly the shape of mine when I was 12 years old. Chubby tummy, thick legs, and all. After about two weeks of jumping up and down and telling everyone about the doll with my legs, I ended up getting her, and couldn't be happier.

A couple of my friends tell me that she looks like me, especially after I got her a new wig in a color close to my hair's, and I take that as a complement. She's still just a doll, but it's nice to have something that resembles me, as a normal person, rather than someone else's ideal.

20. I haven't seen a doll that resembled me yet and honestly, that makes me pretty happy since I figure it'd be quite scary to see a tiny me in doll form. Needless to say, I'd never buy her.
      I actually only go for dolls that don't look a damn thing like me, aside from maybe hair. A good bunch of the boys are black-haired and so am I. Maverick even has a wig that looks exactly like my current haircut. I didn't realize that until it got here though.