1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls' Sexuality and Owner's Sexuality: Are they related?

Feb 22, 2011

1. I never would have thought that the dolls and sexuality have something in common. It seems to me that this is just pure coincidence. It's like saying that people who collect stamps or postcards are always single.

2. I'm straight and my only doll is straight xD I guess it is linked, and i see nothing wrong with being homosexual or bisexual ^^ I just personally am not attracted to my own sex, and neither is my doll (or any of my dolls). Just because, that's the way i want them. :)

3. I never even thought of making my dolls straight or same sex oriented until this thread. I think that doll collecting as a hobby means different things to different collectors. I just see a doll and think its beautiful and buy it and dress it up. I enjoy giving them names like they were children I was adopting. This has made me take a good look at my dolls so far and one thing I have noticed about all of them is that they have an innocence about them and that is what attracts me to them.

4. 100% this.

Although my characters spring from my imagination (I don't have dolls yet but I already have two fully-fleshed out characters just waiting for resin bodies to step into) their personalities, preferences, mannerisms are unrelated to my own. I don't project myself onto my characters. Dolls are dolls, people are people. Some people may feel that they personally have such a link, but I think it is going much too far to call this a trend among the BJD community.

5. Hmmm... to be honest, owner's sexuality isn't something that comes up much between me and the other doll owners I know. I think the majority are heterosexual, but really don'thave a reliable way of telling short of asking them all.

As for dolls.... well mine are mostlu too "young" for it to be an issue (some of them are to young for gender to be an issue either).

Teddy

6. I am a male with one homosexual boy doll and one straight boy doll. I think it would make for alot of bickering and fighting to give them this situation. One unable to date due to the lack of opposite sex and one boy doll having no other male companionship except for the straight boy. Its almost humorous. I would love to get more straight boys and maybe one girl to level out the field. =S and also yes i am homosexual but dont want to push that upon a doll, unless they seem right for it. =D

7. I don't think so.
      My first girl Hikari, didn't have an orientation until my second girl Kit, who like me is gay, arrived. They are now a couple. Maybe if I'd got a boy they would be together instead.
      The third girl I had always intended to be straight, as was her boyfriend once I'd bought him for her. Lorrie My 5th doll is Bi, but she will have a boyfriend. So no. They only doll I'd openly PLANNED to be gay was Kit.

8. I dont own a doll yet, but I am bisexual
      I don't think that I'd show my sexuality through my doll. I think it would effect my doll. It would just be my invision for my doll and how I created them.
      If my doll speeks to me as gay then thats what they'd be, same with being straight.

9. I think my own sexuality effects my doll collecting. My collection is heavily weighted on the boy side. And when I occasionally consider selling a doll it is almost always one of my girls, as I find it soo difficult to part with any of the boys. I think there is some level of sexuality in dolls in at least the aesthetics of it all. We purchase based on how they look usually, and those that appeal to us, it maybe subconsciously, but all the same it's based on what we find appealing. Be that innocence, curviness, more athletic or whatever.
      So the long short is i think sexuality has some play in it, but def not the sole reason.

10. The OCs my dolls shell have sexual orientations that span across the spectrum; some are gay, some bi, some straight. I also have one who identifies as poly and another as asexual in my current collection. When it comes to gender identity and expression, there is... variety, to say the least.

In my personal situation, yes---my own orientation (and gender identity) influences how I create my characters. However, I want them to be known and/or liked for their overall concept and what they represent, not simply for their sexual preferences.

So while I think there might be a correlation for some collectors, I think the level of influence varies by a case by case basis.

#210 PeppermintPocky, Jun 29, 2011
      Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    11. I'm bisexual, and I think it kind of shows in my choice of dolls and OCs. But it's complicated. :sweat:
      In a nutshell, while I am more physically and emotionally attracted to girls (99% of my characters are female), my dolls and characters tend to be straight, so it's kind of like the heterosexual side of my brain manifests in my characters. I'm an odd cookie. XD

As for a large portion of the doll collector population being somewhat less than heterosexual, I think it might be partially because at some level, if you're gay or bi (or whatever) you're kind of used to not fitting in with society's definition of "normal". You're used to not giving a hoot what others think about you, so you're more comfortable with yourself, as opposed to many girls I know who like BJDs but won't collect them because "it's weird". :roll:

12. Aha, THIS was what I was getting at. Sort of. Your characters/dolls speak to you... maybe not literally, but you know, like when you're trying to name them and one name that you hadn't even considered just clicks. It's like that with sexuality. If you're trying to make a character homosexual and it doesn't feel right, then they're probably not homosexual.

I have no idea if this clashes with what I just said. Don't judge me, I haven't had my coffee yet. XD

13. Coffe definitely would help but then again, this is a general idea of the answer for your question. Ok so for recap, Im totally against stereotypes or stereotyping peolpe. Me being gay, i totally pass for straight...even if i can come off as looking "loud". (view profile for clarification) But in the case with my dolls, yes if i get a sense of the doll possibly bein gay bi or curious....BAM!! Labeled as such. I guess u can call it dolly gaydar. =S

I hope that makes sense.....it is early for me to be typing this much...

14. I am stright but all my dolls are either bi, gay or to young to be interested in love. I am not saying that I will never get a stright doll couple but I have not really thought to much about a stright one yet.

When it comes to my dolls I prefer bi or gay couples. Always thought it were more cute and more interesting than a stright couple. I believe my doll tastes got somethiong to do with my big yaoi and shounen ai obsession<3

I do not have any girl couples yet either but if I should make up a new bjd couple. And choose between making up a girl couple or a stright couple, I think I would have gone for the girls. Idk a stright doll couple never really interested me much. I feel like it is a bit boring..:sweat

15. I really don't think they are related at all. I am straight and my doll has a preference for whoever suits his fancy at the time being. Your personality and your dolls personality are on very different levels, in my opinion.

16. Personally, I have no idea what I am, I'd be willing to have a relationship with a person regardless of what they look like or anything like that as long as they care about me.

As for my dolls, I feel like it's more what I'm interested in. I've been branching out more recently, and will probably have a rather balanced doll family because of it. I'm planning on owning mostly sexuality ambiguous dolls, because honestly I don't have dolls so I can pair them up, and most of them are going to be a family. If love sparks here and there it'll be because it just does.

17. It may be related for some people, but I believe it all depends on the owner's personal "doll experience." For example, someone may have a doll that is very much like themselves (which would share their own sexuality) or, in contrast, some people create dolls off of preexisting characters (in which the sexuality is already decided.)

I myself am a bisexual female; however, my doll (Gabriel) is a heterosexual female. It wasn't as if I had planned to assign her a sexual orientation when I bought her, but I created a character for her and she just happened to be heterosexual.

18. I am bi, gravitating more towards the females (because a Sean Connery is hard to find) and my doll is lesbian. I guess I fit into the theory. :)
      But I agree that it matters why you got a doll in the first place. Mine looked like a girl I liked, I guess her preferring women would be obvious. :D
      However, if I ever get more dolls, I will also have some males and will most likely have straight couples as well. :)

19. Until this thread, I never even considered a connection, nor whether my dolls were "straight" or "gay". All my dolls are female, with the exception of two males. The two males I would guess are gay and bi. The girls are all straight, expect that a few like to be androgenous and tomboy-ish. My sexuality has no impact on the perceived sexuality of my dolls. It is pure coincidence that we all like men:)

20. I don't personally think that a person's sexuality plays into their dolls or corresponds to their characters most of the time. Maybe some do try to work out their ideas of personal sexuality with their characters or dolls, but I'm sure it's a smaller amount.

And I guess for perspective purposes, I'm a straight female, who's dolls characters sexualities very, from gay, straight, bi, undecided, clueless, and intentionally misleading.