1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls' Sexuality and Owner's Sexuality: Are they related?

Feb 22, 2011

1. This thread is so awesome...

I would say that my doll is Asexual/Straight, yet I am bi. I do enjoy the fantasy of shonen-ai/yaoi, but the fake world that most are based around just doesn't fit Felinus. He knows the world isnt perfect, from experience. I would say that my doll is straight probably because in most Yaoi the world is romanticized and very-much fake. I don't want this ideal fake world for him, I would much rather it be a darker world with a touch of evil in it.

2. Hi! I'm a guy and I'm not straight. Based on my experience, I can say that there is a link between my sexuality and my dolls. Since I can't/don't wear girly clothes..I take out all my fashion desires and creative concepts on them.

3. Well, I can't speak for everybody, but I can tell you all how it works for me.

I'm a heterosexual girl, and yet every character I've ever created, male or female, is bisexual. Why?

For one thing, I don't want to limit myself by saying "character X is attracted to girls ONLY and character Y is attracted to boys ONLY". I love coming up with complex characters with multi-layered personalities and relationsships that are more difficult to categorize than just love or hate, and that goes for their (fickle) sexualities too. Human psychology is an interesting subject, and I love exploring it through my characters. I should point out, however, that my characters are never defined by their sexual orientation (like, that character is The Gay Guy and that character is the resident Lesbian), and most importantly - the matter of sexual compatibility never comes up.
      What makes a relationship work or not in my stories depends completely on character chemistry, or any "outer" circumstances like social status, personal motivations and such. I can only remember ONCE when a character of mine got in trouble because of him loving another guy, but he was also that kind of character that is so easy for others to bully, and the bullies honestly just wanted a superficial excuse to treat him like crap. That is the ONLY time I have ever referenced a problem caused by same-sex attraction. All the other times, when a character has confessed that he/she loves a person of the same sex but got rejected by said person - it's because the person who did the rejecting didn't have those feelings for him/her inte first place. Never "Ugh, you're a fag/lesbo, get away from me!". In fact, I realized just recently that there really isn't that much to talk about when it comes to sexual orientations/identities in my stories - when you fall in love, you fall in love. As simple as that. :)
      I guess you could say that in a way, all my stories take place in an idealistic dream-world where you aren't defined by what people you're attracted to (or NOT attracted to at all, because there's asexuality too!). Even in a country as seemingly liberal as where I live, there are still too many hate-crimes and prejudices about HBT people, and that's not even close to how awful it is in countries where homosexuality by itself is considered a crime! Perhaps this is my subconscious way of dealing with prejudices and this society's shortcomings by making at least my imaginative world slightly better than this one...

... Or it could just be my nack for melodrama that looooves the possibilities of pairing up everyone with everyone for the sake of juicy, soap opera-esque intrigues! :sneaky

4. I may be a little out of the ordinary for this thread but I'm a straight female with a straight mostly male cast of dolls (one girl and she is too young to have a preference). I have had so many bi/lesbian/gay friends and that hasn't had an effect on me or my dolls in anyway. haha At least not for my dolls yet. I do have an idea for a male doll (that will be blind and have no preference) but it will not be based on my sexual preference anyway. So yah... thats me...

5. I'm an asexual male with an asexual doll.

My doll's character, or how I see him, is a young boy that is distracted more about what happened to that frog he saw on the windowpane or when it's going to rain again so he can dance in it rather than figuring out his sexuality. He just... doesn't think about things like that. But I do understand that some kids find out their sexual preferences at a young age.

Just my two cents. :)

6. I am a heterosexual girl.
      However, I am also chivalric and will act like a gentleman to ladies. As a young kid, I desperately wanted to be male, and I looked up to my uncles whom were the closest things I had to fatherly figures. I may be more attached to my female friends in real life, but I still reprimand them for irritating things that contrast from being a proper lady. (Of course, by proper lady, I don't mean the whole homemaker, servant to men type of thing. But rather like closing your legs instead of having them 180 degrees open.)

This is rather shown in my characters. Lucas is a sweet, somewhat effeminate boy that doesn't discriminate gender when it comes to his friends. Also, his father is bisexual and has a harem of women (who, in actuality, all serve as surrogate mothers.)

I... don't really have any homosexual characters. The fact that I don't have any is a little weird, although this could be because of my parents' homophobic comments.

7. I personally don't think there's any connection. I'm straight, but I appreciate beauty in any form. Mostly I'm asexual though. I want nothing to do with any type of a romantic relationship on either side.

As for my dolls... hmn. My msds are mostly straight (Erdric's had encounters on both sides of the fence), and Lyr is pretty much asexual and wants nothing to do with the world unless it can give him more knowledge. Which is weird to me since I absolutely love ZetsuAi and have a rather interesting yaoi doujinshi collection. Hmn. It's food for thought.

8. No, my dolls' sexual orientation (if they have one) does NOT reflect on my sexuality. They're dolls. They're one of my hobbies. They do not define me. If a person decides to have their doll reflect their own sexuality, more power to them. I just find it a bit odd that people's own sexuality is so often brought up, or tried to be included in a lot of topics in this forum.

9. Well, I am a lesbian and have this thing against male dolls.... I don't like them as much, so I don't collect them. Therefore.... all my dolls are female, and well, yes I would have to say that if they ever decided to date someone, it'd be a girl! Most of them do not have set partners, but I have two fox girls and when I took pictures of them together (it could have been taken that they were friends, it was by far from an intimate/romantic pic) all my friends said they should/or must be lovers. So they are together now.... Although I am planning on getting a couple of male dolls, they will be based off of anime characters, so they will go with the preference of those characters (straight). My friends tell me that I am hard to figure out because I go from acting like a guy (talking about swords, games, how I'd rather watch paint peel than to go see a chick-flick) to being rather girly about my dolls. *shrugs* Who knows... I just like what I like...
      Interesting topic!

10. This is a very interesting topic! I guess I am surprised by a lot of people's answers but that's a good thing! It's challenged my thinking on this. To be honest I would have thought that most people's answer would be 'yes, my own sexual preferences do reflect my dolls (doll characters') sexual preferences'. I thought that because I assumed that if someone is bi, gay or lesbian that their dolls would more likely be bi, gay or lesbian; and if someone is straight then their dolls characters are more likely to be straight. The range of opinions expressed here is so varied though and it's made me think about this more. I am a female in a hetero relationship but I have always had bi tendencies - and I am very attracted to gay men. That has influenced my dolls because my boys are either bi or gay - because I like bi/gay men. My girls are all kind of asexual though. I've never really thought about why. Food for thought... Great topic!!

11. I don't know if this says anything relevant but Im straight and all my dolls are straight, Although I am a female who thinks more like a guy (not fickle and jealous and cryptic). Ive had an Ex-GF and I can definitely say its more complicated to be in a relationship with a girl. I have 3 boy dolls and i make an effort to make them look like boys because people mistake them for girls (frustrating). I have 7 Girls who don't wear a lot of girl clothes, more like children in play clothes. My boyfriend tells me that if he would ever own a doll it would be a sexy pretty girl. He thinks it would be weird for a male to get a male doll. one of my girls is a retard. I think more of their personality rather than sexuality, if their body is a girl or boy i just think i think it makes more sense that they should pair up with the opposite sex.

12. Surely you, as a bi-sexual, are more likely to associate and befriend non-straight members of DOA? Wouldn't that lead you to assume that most BJD owners are Non-straight the same way that being straight myself, I assume that actually the majority of BJD owners are straight middle aged women with some lovely bi/gay people thrown into the mix. I think how you perceive this hobby is all relative to those you associate with. Others would no doubt assume that the majority are college teens with an anime obsession?

I am straight and most of my doll characters are pretty much straight in as much as I've thought about their sexuality at all (middle-aged - sex no longer seems the be all and end all it once did, just a part of life like any other!) but that doesn't mean that they don't have same sex attachments to other characters in some of the stories I've written, I'd just rather be ambiguous about it. I don't like labels (never wanted children, never wanted to marry so I've had that struggle all my life) so why put them on my dolls?

As Lovux put it above, I don't like characters to be defined by their sexuality, it seems a little one-dimensional. I'm more interested in my male doll's swashbuckling and fantastic wardrobe (that only exists in my head, must get that sewing machine out!!!) and the fact that he makes all the female dolls swoon rather than what he may or may not get up to with my other male doll (who is really just a head, what sexual orientation is that then?). I've always been puzzled by the need for phrases like "Homo-erotic imagery", surely all erotic imagery is just that, why the need to narrow it down? There have been tests done on both male and female volunteers, human being even have an involuntary arousal response to seeing animals have sex, so whether we want to admit it to ourselves or not, whether we are aware of it or not, we all have the potential to be omni-sexual (have I made that word up?), so really, why worry about all those labels?

13. That's an interesting question. As for me, I am straight but everyone in the doll community I know is either bi or gay. (Not that I have been in it for very long and these are only the people I know personally...)
      I think your own personal experiences leads to the creation of a doll persona, which includes sexuality. But assumptions made of the owner based on the doll I don't think are fair. Just as any assumption in general usually aren't the way to go :)

14. My dolls are of a variety of preferences. Now that I think about it, I guess I have been trying to keep the percentage of "homosexual" or "having feeling towards one's own sex or gender" dolls similar to the one in the "real world"... that means somewhere under 20%. From 10 dolls so far I have one female that identifies as lesbian and one male that considers himself bisexual; the next incoming doll will be bisexual as well, so the statistical approach might cease working then :lol:. One of my tinies is asexual since she is a kid, but will grow up to be a straight female (adult version planned already), the other is a doll (actually the other tiny's doll), and has no sexuality. Most of my dolls are straight.

And I am not. I am not even much into heteronormativity in general. But weird enough, with my dolls, I tend to categorize in binary terms. It is a little bit like returning to a childhood dream of a clearly black- and white world. So I don't think there has to be a direct connection between the owner's and the doll's sexual preference. I think there can be a link, but a more subtle one, less visible, and no one to one translation.

15. I'm asexual, and that's bound to affect my dolls. ^.-;; I'm bad at seeing characters as sexual, because I don't understand sexuality. But honestly, I think even if I was sexual, I wouldn't put a strong point on that in my stories.
      I have created four (doll) characters so far: one lesbian, one bi, one child and one hetero. Only the bisexual boy cares much about sex, the others concentrate on other things. I kind of wish I could get the balance realistic, but I don't think I'll be able to, being me. XD

16. Well I'm gay, and my boy is gay, but if I EVER get the money to expand and get more, I'm sure I would have gay, straight, bi, et cetera.

17. Hmm, I can't say that the doll's sexuality is linked with the person's because my dolls happen be be boys and like other boys and I happen to be a girl and also like boys :)

But as like a link wise, I guess we can say my boys and I have a same interest in men teehee

18. My inital reaction would be to say that it correlates to either the owner's sexuality or their friends'. Having skimmed through this thread, however, I think that generally, one could say, a majority of the dolls are not heterosexual, regardless of their owner (though it does seem like heterosexuals have more heterosexual dolls). Whether this is due to something about the dolls (appearance? general idea?) or just due to the rise in homosexuality in pop culture, I don't know. It could relate to many owners' love of yaoi or yuri, which kind of falls under the category of pop culture.

Personally, however, I'm straight, and my first inclination would be to have heterosexual dolls. However, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of homosexuality, bisexuality, or asexuality if it seemed to suit the doll's character.

In response to Colour, I kind of think that a lot of people put too much emphasis on sexuality as a defining characteristic. Sure, gays and lesbians are stereotyped to like certain things, but beyond that, I don't think it's super-relevant unless the person's like, a sex addict or very promiscuous or something. I mean, people do other things than go looking for sexual partners, so I don't think you're really downplaying it or anything.

-shrug- I think it's just personal preference, mostly (for the dolls, not the people, haha.). Some people tend to have homosexual/bi/asexualcharacters, some heterosexual. For now, anyway, I wish I had copied and pasted the suffix "sexual". xD

19. I'm strait but one of my dolls is gay, only because I like boy dolls more gave me a reason to get another boy doll instead of a girl XD, He's brother is strait i'm currently trying to buy him a girlfriend but I just think it would be boring if all my collection were strait LOL

20. to answer this topics question, are they related...no, it is more related to ones imagination, personal experiences and above all emotions. Now you might find it odd that I mention emotions and yet dismiss sexuality playing a key function, my reasoning is that emtions play a far larger role than ones personal/sexual preferences. Emotions are something we use everyday even for those emtionally challenged or closed, they're still there and present and it is with emotions we pour into our dolls that their personality is developed.

I myself am a staggering pull upon the gaydar, yet my dolls personalities and sexual preferences came about themselves. I have a demonic girl who could give little thought on anything vaguely sexual orinated and on an extreme opposite is Walter who by chance is a flamboyant drama queen who occasionally dresses in drag both characters had originally planned to be totally different but the more time I devoted to them to more their characters developed

So concluding emotions is what determines the dolls characteristic and ultimately their sexuality, not the owners personal sexuality, cause let's face it, emotion is what wins out when looking at that limited SOOM price tag and not sexuality XD