1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls' Sexuality and Owner's Sexuality: Are they related?

Feb 22, 2011

1. Its impossible to answer this butit was so interesting to read everyones responses. I think that for some poeple, their dolls sexuality reflects their own, and for others, it has nothing to do with it. I think its totally personal pref. I'm married to a man but am bi-sexual... My girl doll is gay and she'll be meeting her girlfriend soon. I think the only connection between my dolls sexuality and my own is that I think girls are pretty... Prettier than boys... So it just worked out that way -- it wasnt something I thought about.

2. Fox_the_gamer: I agree with you. That was basically what I was trying to say ^_^

Scoob: I think that generally girls are the "prettier" sex. Males' beauty tends to be more subtle, whether or not you are attracted to either.

3. I'd give it a link, certainly. With things like the dollies, you tend to create personalities that you're familiar with and enjoy. To someone whose a lesbian, I expect more homosexual dollies.Why? Because that's something you're familiar with and the company you most likely mainly keep and enjoy. So far, with the people I've personally met through this hobby, I haven't been falsified in this thinking. Of course, I've met exceptions to this, but there's exceptions with everything XD

4. I have never thought of this but I'm going to say no it does not. Even though I'm a female and I preferred female BJD's over most males and that's just because I adore girl dolls and like to dress them up or make pretty dresses for them. I tend to choose one sex over the other but if the opposite attracts my eyes then I will highly consider getting that doll. My sexuality doesn't play much in BJD wise..it's just that if I like it then I'll get it but of course it's different for everyone....

5. Hmmmmm. For me, I don't necessarily see my BJDs as connected to it as an extension of my own sexuality. For example, I'm straight and somewhat asexual, but there's only one of my gang (out of 17 different characters) that is the same as me in terms of orientation. She's actually a little forest spirit, so everything else about her is totally different. ^^;; The rest of my group are a mix of genders, ethnicities, sexual orientations, and walks of life (some aren't even human). XD Some are assassins and others are school girls! There's a lot of variation amongst them, but I like that.

6. This. It was just excellently said.

I think to only define a doll by his or her sexuality, as chosen by the owner, can even in some cases be demeaning to those who are actually of that sexuality, by making a 'physical embodiment' of their character so one dimensional, often for the sake of fetish or entertainment, that it reduces the meaning of the sexuality label (and the real life experiences and potential hardships of those who carry it). Most dolls aren't this way, but I've seen a few who's owners have approached the subject matter as a kind of popular trend, if you understand what I mean, so I believe it deserves a small mention.

Also as to what vonbonbon said, I agree one hundred percent that sexuality is a very fluid thing and that labels can be very ineffective at times (I'm speaking more for people than for dolls, here, but they can be linked somewhere in the middle, I'm sure). There is a psychological scale of sexuality (called the Kinsey scale, actually), in which most people are not so often the extreme left or extreme right (heterosexual and homosexual, respectfully), but a severe leaning in one direction, or the other, or in the case of strict bisexuality, somewhere closer to the middle.

Omnisexual, as vonbonbon also put it, to the best of my descriptive language and understanding of social conduct, is actually called pansexual, in which the individual is smack dab in the middle of the Kinsey scale, with absolutely no gender preference (the Kinsey scale is also a binary gender sexuality scale; asexuality and those who are more attracted to genderqueer persons are not represented) in regards to who they have sex with, or who they become involved with relationshipwise (not necessarily romantically, either).

Check out this layman's breakdown of the Kinsey scale on wikipedia. Here, asexuality is represented by X.

7. I'd definitely say that there's a link, since these dolls personalities are created by us...we wouldn't generally create something we were uncomfortable with. If I were straight, and thought of any sexuality other than hetero as disturbing or wrong, I doubt that i'd create any characters that weren't hetero.

However, I'm very open minded and appreciate love in all it's forms. My two current dolls are straight and monogamous. The girl I have coming soon is polygamous and attracted to males, females, and anyone on the gender spectrum.
      Her female partner is homosexual and her male partner is heterosexual.

8. I'm very straight. Me and my boyfriend both collect dolls and are very into the hobby.
      I don't think it has anything to do with the dolls because dolls are who they want to be..anyway, that's how me and my boyfriend raise our dolls. We give them an image at first, but they can take that image and run with it, change, get their own hobbies and interests...if they want to be gay, we're okay with that.

I don't think there's any kind of relationship between dolls and homosexuality.

9. I think that may be more connected to the gender of the dolls a person has? But then again, I can't know because I'm kinda bi and I say kinda because I'm a girl who is attracted to guys but has fallen in love with a girl and I prefer to collect male dolls (out of the 3 Resing BJD and two Hujoo's only one is female mostly so I can make dresses and stuff)

So uhh I don't know

10. Interesting topic! I for one find that my dolls project the different aspects of me including my sexuality. My Male dolls, mostly Iplehouse men, all have stories and 4 of them are couples with each other. Now, 2 of my Volks dolls, Olivia and Yukinojo, are a couple as they were meant to be by the company. My Chiclines are a Straight couple too. But all of them are parts of me. Even though I myself am decidedly gay and in a happy relationship for 23yrs.

11. I don't think there're much relative of what sexuality you are. I like dolls but I'm not homosexual or bisexual. However if you are, I think it is easier to get attractive with those doll.XD

12. I wanted my dolls to be bisexual.
      I have a Unoa Lusis, then her boyfriend Unoa L-Bi followed.
      Lusis is soulbound to me and L-Bi is soulbound to my boyfriend.

13. I don't have the dolls, but I have the characters, and characters and dolls go hand in hand in my opinion. I think it's just however you roll. I'm straight and I've had straight, bi, and homosexual characters. I have no issues with any gender pairings, and I think my characters reflect that. I keep an open mind and so do they.

I say doll sexuality and owner sexuality are mildly linked, but not enough to declare it to be a truth.

14. I'm a bisexual doll owner, and in the liking both girls and guys a lot way (I know some bisexuals that much prefer one over the other but still aren't straight). My first doll was (and still is!) straight. That's just who she is. My second doll (also female) is straight, though I'm thinking of having her develop a small crush on a girl (which would make her bi, leaning mostly towards guys). Her lover was straight in his human life, and probably still is in his vamp life (haven't played with him much yet. keeping him pretty mysterious for now).

My next girl, however, is very bisexual and open and proud of it. I feel like, with her, that's how I wish I could be, very open and proud. In that sense, she's a reflection of a wish (because I can't be very open about it with my close family.) My next two girls, however, are both lesbians.

I do seem to have more girl than guy dolls (especially considering my boy is just a head so far.) I think my sexuality reflects through that a lot, I find girls more physically attractive than guys (though I attach a little more emotionally to guys.) Likewise, my boy head, is effeminate, which is exactly how I like my guys. So yeah, sexuality expressing through there (as opposed to me buying muscular, chiseled dolls) is a definite. But that's just me and how I do it.

Main collection of dolls and sculpts stems from sexuality, personalities of dolls are more of a "that's who they are, that's their character" than a personal thing, short of my 3rd girl.

15. I'm BI
      im heavily into girl characters and have not even considered getting a boy doll, as for my girl doll.. i don't know what her sexuality is yet as she hasn't met anyone else besides my pukipuki (also a girl) maybe she will meet a nice boy/girl one day and they can have cute photo shoots.. but until i take her out i just wont know. ;)

16. I don't think there is too much relation, as my doll's characters are all across the board (straight, gay, bi, tranny chasers, asexual, just about everything). The only thing I would expect to remain constant is that a person is unlikely to give a character a sexual orientation he or she is uncomfortable with personally.

17. I don't really think it's related. I am a straight female. My Dollshe boy is straight, but I'm getting a Migidoll Miho and he is kind of gender neutral. I don't really have love interests for them, it's just how I picture their personality. My Dollshe is more manly, my Miho on the other hand looks slightly more feminine because he's younger. He isn't afraid to dress more girly either. My Miho will get most of my wardrobe from when I was in high school (I'm in college now). He reminds me of a male version of myself haha. But I really don't care if he's straight, bi or gay, even though I'm definitely straight :)

Interesting question, btw!

18. Well, I´m straight but I love yaoi, so all my BJD are boys and gays couples!!
      kisses!!

19. I suppose it could be related, but in my case, it's not. My dolls' sexuality just has to do with their characters, not with me. I'm a straight female and I have a bisexual boy, a straight girl (or maybe not, her character is only seven years old, so perhaps when she "grows up", she'll realize otherwise), and am planning on ordering my third doll, who will be a gay boy.

20. I don't think that, for the most part, it's related, but I guess it would really vary from person to person.

I've never felt that my dolls' sexuality is that big of a deal, and I'd rather develop their character as a whole than just focus on that one specific trait. I'm straight, and while I suppose I'd consider all of my dolls to be straight, I've never once felt that my dolls are an extension of me or my sexuality. For the most part I've always thought that since this hobby is very much about creativity that my dolls' characters should be varied and different from me, but sexuality was never important to me and it really has no place in the storyline of my dolls anyway.

I know there are plenty of straight people with gay dolls and vice verse, as well as plenty of straight people with straight dolls and vice verse, but tbh if I see a doll of a certain sexual orientation it really doesn't make me wonder about the owner's sexual orientation. I've never seen a connection between the two, nor should it really matter.