1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls that *aren't* for beginners?

Feb 25, 2009

1. My first doll was a 70cm Dollshe boy with the first 70cm body type. At the time I had never seen a BJD in real life, I didn't do any research on how easy he'd be to own and very few people even had one similar to him to give me advice but he was the one for me.

I do think I accurately assessed what I wanted from the hobby before jumping in. I wasn't afraid of restringing, doing faceups looked interesting and I wanted to learn to take decent pictures of my dolls. I figured there was going to be a learning curve and that was correct. Lots to learn. But I'm a hands on learner so I dove right in. No regrets here. :)

So yeah, I don't believe in this whole "beginner's doll" thing.

2. I'll have to agree with some people here when they say size doesn't matter. Actually, nothing really matters. If you want to start out with an MD from Soom, okay, but do your research, and know what you're getting into. Nothing's worth doing if it isn't done well, so if you jump haphazardly into the hobby with just any doll, while knowing nothing, not only will the experience also not be as great for you, but you could seriously damage the dol you've purchased. (You know, sharpie pen face ups, leaving them in sunlight, modding with inappropriate tools, storage care, wig care, re-stringing. Not that re-stringing a doll is hard, but if it's your first time and you DON'T know what you're doing, then it can be very intimidating.)

Also, then there's say, you first find out about dolls, a month down the line you purchase what you think your dream doll is: I don't know, some limited Volks. Heath, Tony, whatever. Take your time and sleep on it. Look at pictures that OTHER owners have of the dolls you like, and with different face ups, or naked heads, just so you know what's actually on under there. Be aware of how thier bodies are before you get htem, and know that SD sized, if you're used to barbie dolls? Huuuuuge. You know? Maybe even attend a doll meet first. Nothing like seeing a real doll in person.

But yeah.

My point is, if you come to the hobby prepared, and you've done at least some preliminary research, no doll is the wrong doll once you've finalized on a sculpt and brand you like. Really complicated clothes/stringing? Bring it on. It's not like nobody here knows what you're talking about if you need help with something or anything!

But if you don't know, before you do, always ask. No matter how dumb the question. You could save yourself some trouble. I remember one of my first was, 'is there an MSD Tohya' because I thought the big one was too expensive. ^^;;. Or even, 'is Tohya and Kohya even the same doll?' (Yes, they are.).

Hopefully you get what I'm saying.

3. I completely agree with do your research first. You don't buy a cat and then say "What, it needs a litter box?" only to find out that yes, a cat may need a litter box and your carpet is ruined.
      Read up on basic doll care like restringing and cleaning. I once got a doll that was strung so loose by the company that the legs were dangling from the sockets. It took me less than half an hour to fix it, but if I hadn't known how to restring a doll and be without the proper tools, I would have to wait until I could go to a person who could fix it for me and until then I'd be faced with a doll that was impossible to pose. That would be a nasty first doll experience.

My second doll is made of French resin (no colour changes after 2 years, I took good care of it) and it squeaks with each movement. In the beginning it freaked me out, because I wasn't used to that and I was so afraid to break her. Later I found out that it is not uncommon for French resin dolls to squeak. As I already had experience with my first doll my unease with my second doll disappeared fast, but again that would not have been a nice first doll experience.

If there is anything "special" about the doll you want, get your information on that. Just like you don't need to be an experienced cat owner to get a cat, if you get a long haired cat, you need to know what that animal's special needs are (daily brushing for example). Otherwise you may be in for something unpleasant.
      Keeping this in mind, I can recommend buying a doll of which you can easily get information on. Currently there are no people who have the new Dollshe boy at home, because the first dolls still need to be shipped (or have just been shipped?) and you can't ask around for advice, but luckily Dollshe provides clear tutorials and information on their new boy.
      I don't recommend getting your first doll from a company nobody has ever heard of, but things like size, shape, price and difficulty shouldn't be a limiting factor for your first doll.
      Some people say you should get a small or cheaper doll first to see if the hobby is really something for you, but I think that if you want to spend several hundreds of dollars on the doll you like, you're pretty sure.

4. My first doll was second-hand and perfect for what I wanted. I would recommend going for a second-hand doll first in some ways because the wait isn't as long and if the doll has a few light dings in the resin you won't be too scared to touch the doll, take him/her apart, play with him/her, you know? My brand new company dolls still intimidate me a bit because they're so perfect and I don't want to ruin that perfection!

5. Personally, I don't think undetailed, posing-restricted dolls are right for beginners. I'm thinking of Dollinan and a few others. I think your first doll should surprise you with all the little details, the poses it can do, the intricacy, the lifelikeness.

For that reason I think the new Saint and the Soom Monthlies ARE ideal first dolls, they set the standard.

Later on you can decide whether undetailed dolls are suitable for you, but as a first doll...It could be a let down. I say go for the biggest, baddest, most covetted as your first, all the way ^^

6. I second this. ;) Get the doll you want and don't settle for less out of fear. It's dolls we're talking about.

7. I started with an 'cheap' doll to see how I'd like the hobby. Boy I have know!
      It was such a let down.
      The joints were rough, she posed awefull.
      I think it was good that I went to a meeting that showed me that this was not a common thing but just something that comes with that type of doll.
      I'm upgrading her now, and I do my research a lot better now.

It depends on your research skills. If you do the research you're better prepared.
      You know what to expect. Had I known this limitations of the doll, i might still got her, but it wouldn't be such a disappointment.

So, any doll goes! Just do the research!
      How's the company feedback, the body,how does it pose and look, how to take care of it and that kind of things.

8. Well, judging from what I'm reading here, I went about my first doll the completely wrong way. O.o

I got Luken - and THEN started researching stuff. Like restringing or sueding or the danger of yellowing. Maybe I was just lucky but so far, I'm quite content whith Luken as I got him (Unidoll Ark). I guess how much research you do before you buy a doll is also a matter of how much you want to fuss (not meant in a negative way!) about it. My research basically was pretty much restricted to which doll I wanted - Ark, Hound, Saint or Sabik - and looking at pics on the companies' websites and the web in general. I'm kinda learning all the rest of the stuff "on the go" or where I need it.

I'm not saying this is the best way of doing this. But if you apply a little common sense (of course those dolls may break when you toss them around and of course you should check which kind of colours to use BEFORE you try to give them a faceup and so on) it can work ok, too.

9. QFE a hundred times!
      Don't settle for a cheap or 'easy' doll, just because you're new. It's the first impression that is very important. Go for your dreamdoll, the one that completely swept you of your feet, before you checked the price-tag or the instruction manual. Don't settle for anything less, because when you hold that doll in your hands the first time, you'll be in love.

Muisje and some others said something very important as well: Research. Check out everything there is to know about them. How to take care of them, what the limits are of these dolls, what other people have said about the quality of the doll you want and/or the company that sells it.
      The more you know, the better you are prepared and the less likely you are to be disappointed.

All in all, of you really like the new Dollshe Saint, I say go get him. There are no rules for beginners you have to stick to, no beginner-dolls.

10. Me too! I bought Nicco because he was adorable and fit the character and was a perfect price (for me, what's perfect for you may be very different) And then in trying to figure out where to buy him clothes and "stuff" my friend and I found DOA.

So I dunno, do what your heart tells you is the right thing.

11. Yeah-I don't think there's such a doll. Though if I had to think of something, I'd say french Resin dolls perhaps-since they yellow and stain more easily... and I'd agree about the Unoas. *shrugs* I don't think it really has much to do with beginnerness though.

12. No, I don't think there's any reason why a new person couldn't handle a particular doll--this is especially true if they do a little reading up (for instance knowing BW and tan are more sensitive to sunlight), however pretty much any info a new person needs can be found here. A lot really comes down to what the individual wants and is comfortable with, and that's always going to vary from person to person.

13. Don't forget there is a whole forum here to help you if you come across any problems! Lots of folks will be buying the new Dollshe boys, you'll be able to talk to them every step of the way, they'll be new hobbyists and veterans too, so, if he's what you want, GO FOR IT! :D

14. I would say kits aren't so good for beginners, especially if you have no experience with model kits or model painting. My first was an MSD kit, but I paid for Volks to string and paint her. I think it helped me in restringing her to see how she was strung in the first place, rather than having to do it from a manual. And while I'm quite good at painting small things, I'd still rather leave that to a professional. YMMV. Generally I like default faceups for their simplicity and freshness, so this jives well with me. (And my one Ltd has a face I'm quite happy with .)

Depends on how confident you are, of course.

I would also echo and say you should buy the one in your budget range that you love the most, rather than buying one that's too cheap, not resin, or a tiny/MSD that you sort of like but which isn't your total fav. (Believe me. That's what I did. Now my MSD sits in a box waiting for the day I can get her a pureskin body because her old one is awful.) Don't "settle." Wait until you can get the one you really really really want.

15. i thkin that it's always better to start with a doll that isn't too big nor too small.
      (MSDs) of course, it's your own decision XP

16. You should also take into account what area your in. If your in an area with alot of doll people, you can pick up dolls and see them and get use to them at a doll meetup to find out if they are right for you. What you like/want in regards to possiability, or size. Ofcourse you get the added burden of feeling like an outcast (despite the people trying not to do this to you) being a person 'without a doll' at a 'doll meetup'.

If your in an area that doesn't have alot of Doll People, you have to go into the hobby differently. Do alot more research on-line. You have to judge how much your going to be able to handle with a doll. Do you have the artistic skill, supplies, or even just the desire to do the face-up of the doll yourself, if not then you should buy a face-up with the doll. When you haven't been able to hold the dolls and such First hand, is when I recommend a less expensive doll. Not saying a 'cheap' doll. But get the standard edition vs the uber expensive limited edition of doom! I also like what someone else said about getting a second hand doll, because it would give you more of a chance/freedom/less fear about breaking the doll if already has been around for awhile.

Alot of people get discouraged in the wait and saving for a doll. Thus again why I recommend a less expensive doll, and one that has a decent delievery speed. Maybe your the most patient person and love the anticipation, but in this MTV society most people have a short attention spand and little patience. Yeah you'll most likely have to wait eventually but the 2nd or 3rd doll wait isn't so bad as you have your 1st to play with and make stuff for, etc... It's the same thing about getting your first doll and then sending it right off to get a face-up. Take a few days, get to know your doll, dress it/undress it, etc...

If your in an area with alot of doll people, and have doll friends, getting a kit isn't a bad thing. You have people who can help you out, etc... Or maybe your good at following directions on-line or like putting things together, etc... It really depends on the person.

For myself I needed the instant gratification of my first doll. Once I decided I wanted one, I had to have it NOW. I could have easily been soured to the hobby if I had to wait like I am now for my Euclase. (sigh)

17. I don't really think you can have a doll that *isn't* a good first doll- the first bjd I'd ever touched in my life was my second doll, and I had to put him together myself. I'd never even seen a BJD in person before >.< (My first doll was still in the mail at the time, but thankfully Mikah came fully strung).

I say, just get what you want- it really doesn't matter how it goes, as long as you love it. It took me nearly 6 and a half hours to figure out how to string Yurii (he's 63ish cm) and I cried a few times, but I'm definately not afraid to restring a doll now.

18. Find a doll you love for your first doll. They're all fundamentally the same; they have joints and are strung with elastic. Some of my more expensive dolls are easier to re-string than the cheaper ones, so there really aren't any beginner dolls...only beginner owners. You may as well learn on a doll that gives you joy to own. There are plenty of people here to help you if you have a problem and probably also there are people in your community if you need someone to lend a hand.

19. Doll buying is sort of like picking out a pure-bred puppy...

Each doll, just like each breed, has both positives and negatives.

You get a lot of comments in these kinds of threads that say "OMG, just get what you see and like!" but really, it's not particularly helpful.

I LOVE the way SD sized dolls look, but the size isn't compatible with my "in person" tastes, so seeing and loving does not equal owning and loving, and just buying what looks good to you on screen could end up being disastrous.

My recommendation? Go to meetups where people will allow you to look at their dolls... figure out what particulars are most important to you, and in what order they're important, and how much you'd be willing to compromise... and THEN do massive research on any doll you're considering to see if it fits your wants.

On that note... I think I agree with the French Resin statements... even if you do the research and realize how easily French Resin can change colors, it doesn't really seem to matter when you first realize it's happening to your doll in a dramatic way. It's still scary.

20. Fortune favors the bold! Get a doll you have fallen in love with & can't imagine your household without. Then learn the nitpicky bits. Do your research for the basics first, of course, but the rest of it is all nitpicky bits. And they've all got nitpicky bits; there are no beginner dolls.

My first was an SDCute, with lots of extra moving pieces and parts. It was about a year before I first unstrung him. But what of it? He wasn't going anywhere-- he could wait for me to get used to him. I didn't need to be able to perform surgery on him before I could enjoy him.