1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls that *aren't* for beginners?

Feb 25, 2009

1. I was the same way. It didn't make me any less of a doll owner. But there seems to be some sort of stigma if you don't do research first. I'm not a very much research person. I can't tell if I will like something unless I have it first.

2. I think a doll that isn't for a beginner is one that's immensely larger than something you're used to. For example, if you're used to something 1/8 scale then falling for an AOD Bo which is 1/2 scale. It may be too much for that first time owner, unless that's really what they were looking for in terms of size :XD:

My friend thinks my SD guys are insanely huge vs what she was used to seeing which was almost smaller than Puki sized.

3. I learned a lot after I got my first doll. Even about the type of doll I had.
      It's not that not doing research makes you a bad owner, but doing research may prevent disappointment and you'd want your first doll to be a good experience. :)

4. I researched and went straight for the doll i really wanted : CP soony. I think i made a great choice. SD as a first is a good standard i think

5. I said "seems" and the debate section about doing research first has lead me to believe there might be a stigma. I never said it made a person a bad owner.

6. There's really no stigma.

Trust me I'm over there a lot, people only really encourage research for first time owners because it helps with a lot of frequently asked questions that have usually already been answered more than a few times, and can be answered again by hitting the search button.

It also helps new owners avoid big disappointments, with their first dolls by helping them learn what to expect from the companies they're purchasing from. Be it long waits, customer service issues, payment options, floppy dolls, chunky bodies, skinny bodies, joint placements, etc.

People encourage it because it helps. If you'd rather jump without looking, feel free, but it never hurts to look before really taking the plunge.

7. That's very true and probably at the heart of the disappointment if a beginner makes a mistake. It's kind of funny actually, when beginners ask for doll advice it's like going to the doctor. You can't just go in and ask if you should take a certain medicine, the doctor asks lots of questions first. And for people to give advice about a first doll choice, they need more information about whether the beginner is crafty or artistic, if the doll will be on a shelf or played with, etc.

The danger of choosing a 'difficult' doll is that it could lead to frustration if the buyer isn't extremely keen on delving into the deep end of the hobby straight away. I had been looking forward to shopping for clothes for my first doll, but he wasn't of a size to fit much that was available. All the beautiful clothes I'd admired were off-limits to me, and I wasn't expecting that. I also thought a faceup wouldn't be that hard to do myself, or that it would be easy to arrange; I was wrong on both counts.* I think most beginners would have an attitude of, 'it will all fall into place once I get my doll,' and sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes research isn't possible, either because the available information is misleading or because it's a new type of doll. So, 'buy what you love' aside, I can see why beginners would want to know which dolls might be harder to work with. But as this thread has shown, it's difficult to say!

* Hard to arrange for me in Japan in 2004. Things have changed!

8. I think the 'right doll' is the doll you want, and feel you can reasonably afford, period. There is so much variation in an people's expectations, incomes, and experience that no 'blanket' statement can say what doll is 'right'.

I did virtually no research into my first doll, a Pipos Baha. I saw, DH had some money to blow and wanted to get me somethign extravagant, and in a few mouse-clicks, I had my neveR. Do I have regrets? No way! In fact, I see a lot more 'experienced and knowledgeable' doll-owners selling off their first-gen Bahas...whereas mine will be pried only by force (or extreme financial circumstance) from my cold stiff fingers.

That said, I already knew not to doodle on him with a Sharpie (whatever happened to common sense?:|) and I bought him with the idea of making little outfits, so the fact there were also a few ones to buy was sheer bonus (and the price of them made my efforts seem all the more worthwhile). Of course, the beauty of an animal doll is it doesn't look too funny if it's sitting around nekkid, either.

I didn't even know that he 'should' be able to stand on his own, so imagine my glee when I set him aside on day...and he stayed upright! :o It's so much more fun to make these discoveries than read about them in advance. I do research now, if I have a specific question, but there are also some areas I don't look at terribly closely - I know their time will come, but not right now.

And you know...I own a lot more resin dolls now, ranging in size from puki to Lati Red, and every single one I've got the same way...I see the doll, and I just know it's the one I want.

...I do my research while they're 'in shipping' :roll:

9. I feel that it comes down to the person. If someone is informed about the hobby, whether through reading online site and forums such as DOA, knowing other owner or attending meets, those owners/potential owners shouldn't have a right or wrong doll. For those people they will know about parts and kits and all that other stuff we pride ourselves as seasoned doll owner knowledge.

Now if it is someone who is like "I wanna try this out" and has no clue about BJDs or anything about stringing then yes I would say they should stay away from dolls with certain aesthetics. Interchangeable parts and french resin are bound to be a trial for them. Kits seam like a big no no if you don't have instructions. I would usually suggest a cheaper doll as well such as Bobobie, Dollzone or Angel of Dream. They are great first dolls and a bit less on the pockets so a person who is uninformed and unsure won't feel that they wasted their money if it turns out not for them.

I feel that size should not matter when choosing a first doll and neither should second ownership. If that is the doll you want then it should be the one you get. Just know your limits.

10. I bought my first BJD about 2 months ago. I did not do extensive research but I was unusually lucky to have fallen in love with the Elfdoll Hazy and to have an Elfdoll Showroom where I am in Los Angeles. When I went into the Showroom, Ms. Cholong was so friendly and helpful that I had no reservations about getting Hazy. I wanted to get the 57 cm SD size as making my own costuming is so much of the fun. I have studied Hazy's construction and want to possibly get an Unoa next as I very much want to learn more about customizing.
      Know yourself and you will be happy.

11. Well iplehouse recomends that people who are not use to bjd's don't get mobility joint. I did and I can see why. I enjoy it and it makes her very possible but I have some problems such as with all the extra joints in her pelvic area (darn robo-butt).

EDIT: I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but people should bewere of dolls that may be hard to find clothes for (ie: an odd size or not built like most dolls of a smilar size.)

12. Thanks for all the feedback, you guys! :)

13. If you think its the right doll for you, I say go for it :)

In my own experience though, I'm soo glad I got an MSD for my first. The first doll I ever saw was my friend Ashael's DS Saint, he was quite intimidating in presence >.>; Though after handling her dolls, I'm comfortable with the SD size now and can't wait to get one of my own ^^

14. Whatever doll you like the best is best to start with buuut, its a llot better to get comfortable with the hobby if your first doll is not a PITA

My first ABJD, DiM Marianne, was probably not the best choice as a first ABJD.
      I do still like her but when she first arrived her stringing was ridiculously tight and she required sueding, dealing with that while worrying about handling her since she was my first ABJD did not make it easy. 44cm mature is harder to get clothes for than a regular mini is.

I would have loved a kit as a first doll, but thats just me.

15. I have to disagree with not getting a SOOM MD as a first doll.. Topaz was my first and I love her. Heliot will be my second. However, they do suck to find clothes for so that may be the turnoff.... But I do have to agree in saying that you should always do your research and if you think a doll is too intimating (for whatever the reason- price, size, etc.) Maybe put them on your wish list for later

16. Yeah, well - Ark. 67 cm is NOT a good size if you're looking for clothes to buy for him. And with those massive thighs of his, it's really difficult finding pants. They'll either be just the right length but too tight to fit or not too tight but too long. :| And don't get me started on finding shoes!!! *lol*

Nevertheless, I really love him. As I said, I guess I was lucky choosing him of all BJDs out there. :lol:

17. That is an example of a pleasant discovery. I have a doll that wouldn't sit up right without a support in his back until I re-read the manual and it turned out that I had to pull the legs out of the hip sockets, put the doll in a sitting position and then release the legs. The doll could sit up on his own after that.
      I was lucky I read the manual, because I don't know if I would have found out about pulling the legs out of the sockets before selling the doll as a big disappointment (some other things about the doll were also bothering me and not being to able to sit on his own was the last straw).
      I was lucky the doll came with a manual. Not all doll companies send those with their dolls. I think people can protect themselves against disappointment by knowing certain ins and outs of the doll they buy.
      I don't mind the extra move of pulling the legs out of the sockets to make my doll sit, but it is nice to know I have to do that or else the doll won't sit at all.

Can you imagine a doll owner not getting to enjoy their doll to the fullest just because some knowledge about the doll is missing?

18. I wouldn't recommend the older Dollshe for first time. I love my boys to death, but because of the poppy belly problem it can come across as a bit scary.

19. I resisted dolls for years but fell for KDoll Kill U. I adore him to this day but honestly trying to find him a suitable body was frustrating. I knew what I was doing by the time I got my KDoll Kian head but heads that don't have a default body can get tricky for first timers.

20. I would go with sooms MA... they are MASSIVE. I saw one in person awhile back and omg.. it was half my height. and weight....