1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls that *aren't* for beginners?

Feb 25, 2009

1. I don't believe in starter dolls, but that's because I didn't decide that I wanted to do modding and such until after I was in the hobby already. Basically, how I feel about it is that starter dolls are unnecessary for owners that just want to play with them.

If they're looking to mod and really customize, something more affordable than a dream doll would probably be a better canvas to learn on.

Never should an owner "settle" for anything less than what they really want, no matter the cost, imo, because from what I've seen it just leads to dissatisfaction. So, for me going and getting the one I really want rather than a substitute, makes me happy and lets me enjoy my hobby, rather than griping, groaning, and pining because the one that I have isn't the one that I really wanted.

My best friend got into the hobby because of a starter doll though. She does basically the exact same things that I do in the hobby (mostly photography), but that was when she didn't know what doll she wanted. She just got one to have a doll, and see what they were like, because she didn't really have a specific doll in mind yet.

When I came into the hobby, I looked around before dropping even a cent into this, just casually browsing and randomly found a sculpt that I absolutely had to have. I didn't regret buying him a bit, though I do wish I had investigated the company's bodies prior to purchase because he was very much different from the other doll that I had at the time. :XD:

I think coming in contact with them in person was enough for me, playing with my friend's dolls and learning about them through her was enough to let me know that if I can afford to it's okay to get them, no matter the cost, as long as I know that I won't regret the purchase.

2. Well to be honest I'm really glad I didn't get an expensive doll straight away.
      I really wanted a MNF El for my first doll but I wasn't making much money at my job and saving up was a painful process. I saw a DZ Megi on ebay and I knew I would want him eventually. I decided to get him first because I could afford him sooner than I could a MNF.
      It turned out to be a good idea because he was a cheaper and more available doll so I wasn't afraid of experimenting and learning how handle him.
      It wasn't like I was buying him out of convenience because I still have him and love him to bits (even if I do say he's a bit on the ugly side).
      I think as long as you want the doll and your not just buying it because it's the cheapest one you can find, it's a good idea to start with a cheaper doll.
      If you start with a limited edition $1000 doll you will never learn about how to care for your dolls because you will be to scared to handle it.
      There is no shame in testing the waters before you dive in the deep end :)

3. That isn't true for everyone, it just depends on the person. Some people might feel more comfortable with an expensive first doll (especially fullsets) that arrive perfect and don't want to experiment on their very first BJD. If the hobby or doll is a bad fit, it may be easier to sell a more expensive pristine doll than a common inexpensive one that's been experimented upon.

4. I didn't really think about it that way :sweat My bad...

But I think my point is still valid for those who intend to do their own faceups and/ or mods. That's what I wanted out of this hobby, to be able to customise my doll. I wouldn't have been comfortable working on an expensive doll the first time but as I said you shouldn't buy a doll for convenience. You should want the doll too.
      Buying a starter doll isn't a bad thing if it's something you want and your sure that you will get the same amount of enjoyment out of it that you would get from an expensive one.

5. I don't think there is such a thing as a 'starter' doll though I initially went down that route I guess. I wasn't sure if I would be dedicated enough in the hobby or if it was another passing frenzy, so I eliminated the thought of a Volks Tony. I didn't have a huge preference, I just wanted a doll that I liked the look off and I liked him the most when I ordered him. I had a good few sites bookmarked but he was the one I kept going back to. Despite I definately prefer the larger dolls.

To someone who wants a pretty doll to display/play with / general uncomfortable with sewing/faceups and such, I think they're better suited for full set dolls. Limited or not, expensive or not.

To those who aren't sure if they want a doll and haven't got a preference then sure start with a cheaper doll that they like. As long as they choose a doll they like rather than 'what's readily avilable' then it shouldn't go vastly wrong.

I still have my first doll and still love him as much as I did 2 years ago, I've played with a lot of companies now and own a range of prices, but if I have to start again with the knowledge I have now? I would never have gotten him but he's here now and the most importantly he's mine and that's all that matters.

6. For a first doll, I agree with others that have said it may be best to avoid those that require assembly or have many interchangeable parts (Volks MSD kits, Unoa, Soom M.Ds, etc). Being faced with a blank, unassembled doll can be overwhelming and disappointing to first time buyers, same as having a doll with interchangeable parts you're afraid to use for fear of damaging the resin.

If the intention is to dive right in with stringing, mods, faceups, etc - any doll that you really like and fits your budget and would be a good "beginner" doll as long as you realize there's a chance you may be making mistakes/causing damages to the doll during the learning process.

If the intention is to leave dolls as they are with minimal customizations (eye/wig/clothing changes), I'd suggest getting any doll you like with a company faceup. You'd have the satisfaction of a "complete" doll from the start with the option of making larger changes (new faceup, mods, etc) later as you become more familiar and confident with handling a BJD.

7. I truthfully don't believe there's any dolls that aren't for "beginners". I think as long as you have enough knowledge and understand about them, you can handle any doll. Plus, it's better to get the doll you want, even if the only doll you ever want is something like a Soom monthly, as opposed to getting something that you don't even want or like then trying to get the doll you want later.

8. I would say any ones that can eat your fingers. >.>;;;

And probably the Unoa Zeros (they're strung different), the new Dollshes (actually, even the old ones are a bit of work to get them to not belly flop), and the Iplehouse EIDs because of their elbow nuts (and butt... nuts...).

9. ^This is partly why I picked my first doll. I loved his mold, his LE faceup and clothing, and didn't want a nakid blank doll arriving home. I wanted something I could take out the box, dress up and admire right away. Sure, he was quite costly, but I think I would have freaked if I ordered my second doll first. Blank and starkers :lol:

As for starter dolls, uhhh. I don't know, even the "kit" dolls might be very good starters to people used to self-assembely type...stuff. Model kits and the like. Soom monthlies I think would actually be rather good starter dolls, you can order yourself as full a set as you want, or pick and choose, with extra parts to play around with. Just their current wait times that are the killers :XD:

10. Definitly the new Spirit Dolls. They are huge, stylized, and come with a pouch of man parts that can be switched out depending on his mood. It might be a bit much to take as a beginner.

11. *feels like a bad person*
      I totally had to go and check that out :P . (It's what I usually do when I see a company name that I don't really recognize, but in this case... lol)

I really like this thread; I think that it's really interesting to hear people's opinions. I also find it comforting how many people are around to help! :)

12. I didn't bother with a starter. My first was a Volks SD Cute: small, expensive, & full of crazy double joints and rotating parts. There's kinda only one way all those parts WILL fit together-- so even today, when I get stuck on the restringing, it doesn't take me long to figure out where I went wrong. As Mr Burns once told Mr Smithers, "This is brain surgery, not rocket science."

Au contraire! What if you're a mechanically-inclined beginner who's spent all her childhood on model kits, and always knows how parts of things fit together? A SpiritDoll would be a GREAT first for her. If only because they're generally more easily available than a Unoa kit. (They also give you more penises, which can only be a nice thing.) Even more insanely, how about an Unoa Light; tweezers and electron microscope recommended for restringing, great project for any model-freak to sink her teeth into.

A doll's 'beginner level' depends on what you want to get out of owning that doll....
      -If you just want to look at your doll & play with it, forget about cheap training-wheel dolls. You can learn restringing & maintenance in an hour, just by reading stuff you find on DOA. And some dolls, like the intimidating Iplehouse EID for example, come with fully illustrated stringing & assembly instructions.
      -If you want to paint faces, also don't bother buying a practice sculpt you don't want; an LE head can be infinitely repainted just as much as a cheapie.
      -But if you want to practice modding & carving, DO get a cheapie first, because you can't erase that kind of thing.
      -If you're a fearful person, and have an extra two hundred bucks to throw around, then sure, get a cheap starter doll & then save up for the doll you want later.

13. Well I dont think you should pay a huge amount for your first because I feel you should decide if this hobby is for you or not before you start spending alot of money on it. Also if there are limiteds I dont feel its fair for someone who doesnt know if there staying in the hobby or not to ^snatch the last one up when someone else who knew they love bjds could of had it instead.

14. My first doll is broken into peices. First I've bought the head and eyes for him next will come to commissioning a faceup(his sculpt is a little intimidating and his default made him look very angry and tired) after I plan to buy him a body, I'm leaning towards a very muscular, masculin body type for him from angel of dream which I will then commission anouther for body blushing and tribal angel wings on his back. It's intimidating but I know he is well worth the trouble and time spent. I don't think it's to big of a deal you have to decide whats best for you though, we can suggest things till were blue but if you don't feel comfortable with it than its not going to work for you. After all, why pay such a huge amount for something you don't even like?

15. Well I don't believe there is such a thing as a non-beginners doll. As long as you do plenty of research and have the appropriate expectations you should be fine ;)

~Gio

16. Most of the more expensive dolls and limiteds can be sold for practically the same price or even more later on if the owner decides they don't like that doll. How is one supposed to know if the hobby is right for them if they don't find the right doll first???

Also, I believe everyone has the right to buy whatever doll they want. No person has more right to a limited doll than another does. What if that person that's unsure of whether they're committed to the hobby or not lets their chance to get their super rare dream doll slip away?? I'd kick myself if I had enough money to buy a Tsukasa but hesitated and missed my chance to get him just because I was unsure as to whether someone else deserves him more than I do. Can you imagine the regret!?

but anyway, as has been said... I think it all depends on what you're in the hobby for. If you're in it for heavy modding and such, buying an expensive doll would probably be impractical but otherwise, in most cases, one should always get the doll they want most imo. One just has to make sure to do all their research so they'll know what to expect. Even if you get surprised, I think getting a doll you'll love will always outweigh the difficulties and learning curves that may come with the doll.

17. QFE.
      No-one is more entitled in owning a limited than others. It's simply a matter of first come, first served. Even if the person is a newbie unsure if she'll stay in this hobby for long or she wants four of that particular limited she still has as much the right to buy it as any other.

As I said before, I don't think you should buy a 'cheap' or 'easy' doll just because you're a beginner. Go for the one you want and if this is a limited or one with a gazillion spare parts, I'm sure a little research will be enough to teach you how to handle that doll.

18. I agree with the oppinion that there are no "started" dolls, sizes or things like that.

I do think it is important that you know what kind of material Resin (Keep out of direct sunlight as much as posible, clean it be carefull of staining, it won't break on its own but don't use as a hamer)

and the way dolls are kept together String (do not get wet, will stretch out, good Idea to practice/learn how to gestring)

and the stuff you will need on the doll (what type of eyes will be best for Your plans with your doll, how do you put them in. what wigsize does your doll need, how to staighten out your wig after travel, toothbrush combing or I have heard people using water on wigs)

and size (70-80 cm really is a lot of resin child, but a puki size is very tiny, even 60 or 45 cm tot some people will be to small or to big) everyone will have to find out for themselves what size is best for them.

and finally dreaded price..... if you lve a doll enoug to be prepared for all the other things I think price soom becomes just something to work for, and sometimes a doll ill be astonomically expensive, no matter its anyone OWN Choice to either say "yes I will spend that" or "no I really won't"

of course you won't be a star at everything when your frist doll comes in (after four dolls I am still bad at restringing, and practicing with face up's on one of my dolls) but thats also a part of the hobby, figuring out how it all works.

So as long as your willing to put in the time needed to figure out your doll, I don't think it matters what doll you eventually decide to start with :)

19. Domuya Flexi's OMG they need a LOT of patience and practice to stand up bare-foot :roll:

20. I fall firmly in the camp of "whatever doll you feel comfortable with is the correct starter doll FOR YOU."

My first BJD was a Dollshe Hound, unpainted. Within the first day that he was home, his head was off, he was in pieces, and we were sanding the heck out of some nasty seam lines. That was the perfect doll for me to start with.

My son started out with a Volks MSD Ken. I helped him put it together, I did the face-up, but we picked that doll because it was an easy size for him to manage. He now has an SD-sized girl on a rather tricky body, and would love to get a 70cm boy. ^-^

I certainly agree with doing tons of research, and going to meet-ups if at all possible. (Though even doing that it is still possible to make mistakes! I knew I did not like the Luts boy body, got one anyway, and got rid of it six months later!)

Be patient, and be prepared to not do everything perfectly the first time around! I think the learning process is one of the best aspects of this hobby, and nothing is more satisfying than the sense of accomplishment the first time you successfully restring your doll, or do a good face-up, or take a great photograph. ^-^