1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls with teeth

Feb 25, 2018

1. Hm... it totally depends on what kind of doll that is. I dislike open-mouthed on anime-esque dolls a lot, especially if they are just 2D.... If done right I can like them on other sculpts, like DollZone Carter! I love his little teeth so much... also I find Angel Philia dolls extremely weird but something really attracts me... their mouths are fine for me

2. Something like fangs poking out of a closed mouth I could be up for, but open mouth expressions are not to my taste. Open moths much like over accentuated expressions tend to feel too restrictive to me because it isn't a natural position to hold all the time. That being said I often enjoy looking at sculpts and photos from people with these sort of dolls. They just are not something I would own myself.

3. I like dolls with open mouths/teeth showing! It looks realistic and not creepy to me. I have a couple of BJDs with teeth showing and it's really cute but can be difficult to remove the faceup in that area.

4. 3 months after I made this thread now I'm obsessed with modding teeth onto dolls :wiggle I'm kind of surprised at how many sculpts sort of just have their mouths hanging open for no reason. I'm not complaining, though- it gives me plenty of room to add the teeth.

5. It really depends on the sculpt for me. Some sculpts, like Ringdoll's Mona, are hugely unsettling and most certainly something I would not own. Other sculpts, like Luts' Annamarie or Little Monica's Sophia, I find very pretty and have on my wishlist. On that note, I do find most vampire teeth to be very silly-looking on BJDs.

6. I dont like them, but I do have a few and since I do my own dolls faceups, Ive managed to either shade them in a way that makes them look a bit cuter or just hide them and make the dolls lips look more full~ I dont mind the ones that have their teeth showing its just that i can never find a good way to paint them without making them look kinda janky

7. I prefer more realistic dolls, but most of the models I like don’t have large teeth. Two of my dolls don’t have teeth, but one (BlueFairy Sarang) has really little teeth that I only realized after I bought her and started redoing her faceup. If I liked the head, teeth wouldn’t be an automatic turnoff.

8. I'm REALLY picky about dolls with teeth. Subtle teeth like those on say a Soom Dia (I didn't even realise they HAD teeth) are totally fine as are slightly parted lips. Fangs poking through closed lips look rather silly, but I do like a good set of fangs on an open mouth. However there are dolls that seem to have "teeth for the sake of teeth" like some Popovy Sisters and Fairyland sculpts. These freak me out a bit to be honest. That said, I love huge, mad grins like IOS Jaguar and Ringdoll Norman Dark 2.0! :D They're absolutely my favourite! Dolls that look like they're about to bite you. :aheartbea

[​IMG]WP_20170524_11_36_10_Rich by Liz, on Flickr

9. I admit, I used to be a member of Team Toothless. I used to think that it made all dolls look very "derpy," for lack of a better expression. More exposure changed my mind. Now I definitely don't seek out toothy sculpts or anything like that, but if I fall for a particular mold, I no longer care if it has visible teeth or not.

10. I adore dolls with teeth that are slightly hidden, ike supia rosy for example. When they heave teeth peeking out through their lips it’s so cute. The only kind I dislike is when there’s a full smile like tons of teeth on display creeps me out :shudder

11. Don't like teeth, any wide open "O" mouth in general, but there are some sculpts I can tolerate with teeth and with a bit open mouth, a bit :)

12. I don't do teeth. I don't mind them or think they're creepy or anything (in fact I've considered some, and have a friend who has a couple), I just don't want to have to paint them if I ever do my own faceups. It's very easy to mess them up.

13. I like teeth! I also like smiling dolls, so not every smiling doll has teeth. Not all my dolls are smiling, like my Saint, so there's different things that I like about each of them. It's a finer detail that doesn't work for every look. I'm glad for the variety.

14. I think teeth add a extra dimension or layer to the doll's head. Just like how the eyes are set up

15. Oh! Yes I definitely agree with this! I love dolls that are semirealistic and having teeth just adds an extra detail to the doll! It gives it more personality in my opinion. I like it especially when the teeth are well done and subtle! That way depending on the sculpt, it can make the sculpt look younger.

16. I agree - the Bishonenhouse teeth look good on those sculpts. I think, for me, what I don't care for is when teeth make a sculpt look more cutesy/childish. My Dust of Dolls kröt has tiny little teeth that make her face look too childlike (luckily, you can only see them from a certain angle). When teeth look like a natural part of the sculpt, and aren't just there to add a cutesy effect, I don't mind them.

17. It depends on how visible the teeth are. I don't like wide grins, but fangs or subtle teeth are fine. If it's done well, it can make the doll more realistic.

18. I have a minifee Celine with visible (painted) teeth and honestly, that's about as much as I can do. On some of the smaller, more "chibi" dolls I can deal with full smiles but teeth do fall into uncanny valley for me if not done right. I prefer a soft, closed lip look.

19. I also have a minifee Celine with painted teeth; I'm considering painting over them to hide them or trading the head as a whole, which is a shame since it really is a beautiful faceup, but it doesn't suit the character I have in mind...
      The problem I have with non-smile teeth is how unnatural it feels to see, at least in my eyes. My brother walks around with his teeth showing sometimes (he's not sure why he does it either) and I always have to remind him that it isn't a flattering look...