1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dollshe Orijean & DSAM 35s body release

Jan 17, 2009

1. I sure hope not. These things are awful looking. I don't care how 'posable' they are supposed to be, it looks unwieldy, out of proportion and anorexic.

No more dolls for me if this is what I had to pick from. :...(

2. I don't like the way the body looks, but after reading about how it will pose better and all that, I may end up getting a new Dollshe boy once the others are released. I wanted a Bernard and Hound so we'll see what happens. I already decided on another doll for the character I was going to use my Bernard for...mainly because he's a fan of revealing clothes and I don't like the body enough to reveal it very often. XD

I can't wait to see the new boys with faceups and clothes. And I'm looking forward to seeing how these guys pose!

3. I really adore my simple ball jointed dolls like my SD13s and my Hypermaniac, I find them easier to hold and more comforting somehow but I like dynamic dolls too. And it's not like all dolls are going to pick up his new system, it's just this one.

My guess is that Dollshe is making sure that his jointing work is so new and groundbreaking that if anyone dares to copy his work it will be obvious- no ifs, ands or buts. I think the copying issue is really at the heart of this whole change.

4. I might be one of the only people who like these new sculpts. I just don't see me doing anything with Orijean, so I can't wait to see the others. And the skin tones are simply fantastic! But I wonder why you can buy the parts seperately when they can't be used as hybrids really...?

5. Wow. That body has pretty much killed any desire I had for a Dollshe boy...frankly, it's ugly. It's looks insectile, bug-like. The faces have potential, but there's just too much going on with the body and it doesn't look human. No thanks. I'll hold out for secondhand Bermann (yeah, right ;) )

6. Posing better- thats the whole idea right? I have yet to see this doll do any posing of any kind. Its just standing there in all the pics. What do all those joints do? How exactly does he look when posed? I can read those descriptions for days, but I dont care about what any of it says. Prove to me that this thing can actualy pose like they say it does.

BTW, Has any one counted the number of ribs on this thing? I think it has too many LOL

7. You're right, in the last few short days we've really known about this doll there haven't been any picture like this. Shame. :roll:

As they've been posting new pictures of him almost every day, my guess is that with some patience we'll see them. Unless you have your credit card in hand and are just waiting to see the mobility pictures before you buy the doll I don't know what the hurry is. I know several people have already purchased him, maybe with luck we'll see some owner photos very soon.

8. No credit card, just intense curiosity. Whenever a doll comes out with a new joint system I'm always desperatly fascinated to see how it works.

9. I am facing the same problem, since yesterday the pages have refused to load for me, and it just keeps going to 'page cannot be found' *_* Zag posted the explanation from Mr.Dollshe, but would anyone be kind enough to save the pictures and post here for those of us who can't see them?

10. Actually, given that the "ribs" cut off just below the arms, I think he was sculpting an extremely exaggerated Serratus Anterior muscle. I'd noticed previously that my Hound's "ribs" were actually Serratus Anterior ridges.

This body has some attention paid to muscle placement (especially in the torso--things are exaggerated and lengthened but in roughly the right places), but the proportions are off--his legs are too long, both in proportion to his arms and in proportion to his body as a whole. As any artist knows, your legs should take up half of your body length unless you have certain rare bone growth disorders. Orijean's torso, neck, and head combined are only three-quarters the length of his legs. Thinking this might be a stylistic thing with DollShes that I hadn't noticed in person, I got my Hound to humor me and stand still while I attacked him with a tape measure. His legs are about 3cm longer than his upper body--a 10% difference instead of a 25% difference and apparently not enough to trigger an Uncanny Valley-esque effect. The extra 4cm of height added to the new Dollshes seems to have been entirely in the legs. :sweat

The new DollShes are currently not to my taste, but I'm willing to watch and see what goes on, especially with the DollShe girls (I've always wanted an Afghana).

11. ok i'll have to say it because no one will. Everyone who has or want's the first run of the dollshe doll's loved how beautiful they r nude or dressed up they look more real . And now to the 2nd gen body's is so diffrent it is just to drastic of a change. and yes there is to many rib's and the abb's r so un real looking and from the pic's the leg's look bow leged. but from an artiest point of view rock on.

the thing is that the body'd r so diffrent you eather love the old body or you love the new. as for me i'll put up a w.t.b for the old hound well to all on here hope u all find the dollshe that u love and want

12. You know, while I certainly agree that the doll is not anatomically realistisch(or even right), that he's out of proportion and all that..somehow it doesn't bother me. Then again, I'm also fan of the Rosettedolls XDD I think it's because with both dolls, the unrealisticness is consistent in the whole doll, it bothers me less to see this doll than let's say, a doll with a very muscular torso and very skinny arms. He's unrealistic, too thin, too stylized, too 'bug' like..but every part of him is and that makes him a whole doll that I can at least say 'Okay, I see where you're going with this' about instead of just being confused.

I hope he comes with Rosen soon, expecially now that there's a pale tan..

13. blackpaperbag: All the current pictures (and more...actually :sweat) are up here in this thread: http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267893

I had a dream this night about Orijean^^ He had a faceup and looked awesome. It was a kinda natural, little bit smoky faceup and he was beautiful with it :lol:

14. I wish the new body doesn't have the face-plate system, it's not to my taste. I suppose buying just 'head' means face-plate right? Then there's no hope of plunking the new heads (I want a Saint) on another body :(.

15. Ah... thanks so much! :)

Wow, they certainly are different. I'd love to see the various poses they can accomplish, though I have to admit I might not want to leave him shirtless if I ever got one... I feel as though the sculpting is a little too harsh for my taste, I prefer subtler, more natural muscles... haha the first thing I thought of when I saw the full nude body was 'teenage mutant ninja turtles'! :sweat

16. the new pictures are even worse...making the doll pose so naturaly with such an un natural look.....there had to be a way of not having those obvious exsternal ribs.....i love that conga line skin tone pic's its kinda cute :3

17. When I first saw the pictures a few days ago, I really honestly thought Dollshe's intent was to make a space alien. I was so surprised to read otherwise! My plans to reshell my Bernard are certainly on hold for now. I find it ironic that a doll meant to look good in jeans would look better in a full bodysuit. ^^;

But personal hopes aside, I think Orijean is an interesting piece and important development in Dollshe's style. It seems to me though to be a transitional doll. He has, presumably, worked a technical marvel in this one; I would expect the next doll to be a return to an emphasis on the whole rather than the parts. This body looks at once overproduced and unfinished, refined to the point of sterility. It's proof that an idea taken it its logical conclusion (more complex joints -> better posing = good) is not always logical after all. The complex production required to assemble the myriad puzzle pieces seems unsustainable in a non-limited commercial product. But I have mixed feelings about it because I do find the body charming in its own way, with its purposeful mechanisms and contrapposto balance.

In the end, I'm wondering if Dollshe will be hurt by the trends he helped create. I don't mean the Dollmore issue, but that his dolls helped popularize the 70cm size. He's been out of the game for how long? A year? And now there are quite a few dolls in that scale that are not rip-offs but that do cash in on the popularity of that type, fueled perhaps by the void of Dollshe's absence. Other companies have made innovations to posing too, like darkmothflame said. This doll is being released in an uncommon size amongst stiff competition during a recession, so I'm curious to see how it does, and I find myself rooting for Dollshe and his new creation even if I have no intention of buying it myself.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble! ^^;

18. um, have you guys seen the new photos of Orijean posing on the Dollstown website? he looks even more freaky if you ask me. although i "do" fine the engineering astonishing, IRL i don't like the look of him. i do not find him aesthetically pleasing. the joints all kind of splay out fanlike making him look even more "bug" like. i can certainly appreciate what Mr. Dollshee is accomplishing with his innovative design, but he just doesn't look human at all. perhaps when i see owner's photos of him with face up and clothing i will "eat my words", we may all be surprised.

19. You know I really like the posing...I don't know if its all that innovative, but I do like it. That said it looks totally unnatural with the harsh lines of the body itself, and even if this is a matter of substance over style, aesthetically he's just not the Dollshe that I always wanted. Again I still want him, and with the Saint head I will buy him, but awesome poses or not he's just not the same beautiful Dollshe boy. I'll wait and see what he looks like with clothes and a faceup, but until then I have to admit I expected better.

20. Oddly enough there is another doll with a torso jointed a bit like that, it's by Japanese artist Ariadne. Only 27cm though, but the torso posing seems to be about the same. I wonder how much the segment bumps would show under clothes though.