1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dollstown Mini discussion part 6

Jul 1, 2016

1. She's an English WW2 evacuee. I don't have all the details of her character worked out, but it's not that important, I suppose. Right now she's just wearing some things left over from other dolls, though in her general style (however they don't fit quite right). I'm looking for fabrics and such for making her wardrobe, presently.

2. Sounds like a lovely project. She'll need a little cardboard box with her gas mask in it.

My mother had a lot of stories of her time as an evacuee. She and her sisters were evcuated multiple times to different places bcecause my grandmother kept regretting the decision to let them go, and saving up to go collect them and bring them home to London again. Some of their billets were nice, some were terrible.

Teddy

3. That's a great story! My uncle was also an evacuee when he was small, he did not think much of the experience. I don't know the details, though... he'd never really discuss it. I remember he enjoyed the movie "Hope and Glory", though he was reluctant to watch it at first. In it, the boy character is almost evacuated, but his mum couldn't bear to let her children actually go, and an embarrassing scene (from his point of view) ensues.

I do plan to make her a gas mask box. I have a 1/3 scale box I made for an 18" doll, but Mary Herring (her name, which is a play on her original name) will need hers to be 1/4 scale.

4. Some of the unsavoury aspects of some of the situations my mother and her sisters were in make that understandable. Their situations were bad enough but she knew there were kids who had it worse.

I'd have thougth that 1/3 would be the right scale given that 1/3 assumes an SD sized adult which makes a DT 7Year pretty much the right size-range for being a 1/3 sized child.

Teddy

5. I tried it on her, and it looks too oversized. I had made it for an 18" doll (chunkier frame, if you will), so that's probably why!

6. {nods} Poop! that's a shame.

Teddy

7. She is stunning!!! :fangirl:

8. Thank you!
      Now I'm struggling to get some patterns together to make her clothing... I'm a bit rusty at this stuff, and when I moved my pattern collection disappeared :-P

9. I dressed one of my girls as an evacuee once.........I used what I had hanging around as the photo was for a daily photo prompt challenge

[​IMG]In the middle by Jane, on Flickr

Megan is a Ganga

10. If you look for KW size patterns they are about the right size for a DT7 girl
      And Martha Boers has a basic dress pattern for free on her page that is a good starting point too

Kaye Wiggs Dress Pattern - Tutorials

11. Oh wow, thanks! This should help a lot!

Your Megan makes a great evacuee! Her accessories are perfect :-)

12. Megan does look sweet as an evacuee, @Jane

I hope you find a pattern that works with your plan, @ravendolls

Today I took Polly (RML K-01/DollsTown 5Year) in to work with me. He's a jolly little chap to keep me company on my desk:
      [​IMG]

Teddy

13. What fun to be able to have a little friend at work with you! I love his colorful jumper and short pants.

14. It is nice to be able to take a doll or two in with me. In pre-covid days people used to swing by the department to see what doll(s) I had brought in each day.

Teddy

15. I love that he is dressed just like you Teddy!!!

And @ravendolls........I am so pleased the pattern link was helpful

16. I really hadn't realized it for the first few weeks.

I suppose it had to happen eventually that one of my dolls ended up dressed like me - and my hair is even the same colour at the moment ("Intense Copper" on the box, Bright Orange on the hair).

Teddy

17. Hello! Hopefully this is an okay place to ask: does anyone have experience with/recommendations for heads that would hybrid well with a DT 7 year body? I am hoping to find a little sister for my Maskcatdoll Yael. I absolutely love DollsTown's sculpting, but I am curious about other options that would work with scale of the body.

18. I have a Ninodoll Shampoo head on the 7Year body:
      [​IMG]

I also have an couple of old (no longer made) RML R-01 heads on the 5Year body and the Elf body that I know also work on the 7Year body, but you'd have to track one of those down on the secondary market so that's not much help to you.

I used to have a Leeke Leina head on the 5Year body that would also have worked on the 7Year body too - so you might want to look at some of the other 1/4 Leeke heads:
      [​IMG]

Hope this helps

Teddy

#678 Teddy, Mar 4, 2022
      Last edited: May 8, 2022
    19. @Teddy Thank you for sharing!

I'm curious - when you go about choosing a head to hybrid with these bodies, how do you determine whether it will be a good "fit" literally and aesthetically? I think I am most worried about the head looking disproportionate or stylistically too different - but all of your hybrids look very intentional! Is there anything in particular you keep in mind?

20. To be honest, I mostly don't sweat those details.

If there's a sculpt I like I set about looking for a body I like in that size range for it to go on. If I have a body I like then I keep it in mind until I see a head I like that might work on it. If Ihave a spare body because I got it at a reasonable price, but didnt like th head it came with, or the head I had on it didn't work for me, or whatever, agin I hang on to it until I see a head I liek that's in that size range.

Only twice, in sixteen years of having BJD's has it backfired on me.

1) I have a fondness for the heads that RML made, back in the day, so tend to snap them up if they come up on the second hand market - one of them I got was a sleeping sculpt, whihc I don't have any use for, so it hung around in a box unitl I'd accumulated a fair few floating heads (the rest open-eyed) and the same number of headless bodies, then I sent them off to be face-upped, and, in the case of the sleeping head, modded to open-eyed, then face-upped. They all came back to me, and I started trying eyes in them, then putting thet heads on bodies.... and found that the former-sleeping head, while for an SD sized body, had a very small neck socket and was too small to fit on the necks of any of the SD bodies I had available.

In the end she borrowed the particularly slim-necked body from another of my hybrid girls who was awaiting having some work done... and I shopped around (for about 6 months) for an old Luts or Custom House Ai body with a slim enough neck for the new head. It arrived last week.

2) I bought a Baby Delf when they were first released, in the hopes of finding a head I preferred to either of the two sculpts offered by Luts, but my first try looked the right age but was proportionally too big to work (I foudn a better body for that one) and showed me I had to restrict my search to the smaller end of the SD-sized head range. That body sat in a box for a couple of years until a friend passed on an old Customhouse Ai Miya, which was the perfect combination of small enough to work on the Baby Delf body, and looked young enough to work as a toddler.

Otherwise, though, I've had no trouble with hybrid dolls working once the head and body were married up, athough, from now on, I will check neck measurements and socket size when on the lookout for a body for a head I already have in hand.

Honestly, I think that if you do want to hybrid another head onto a 7Year body, you just need to look at the larger end of the MSD range of head sculpts, and you'd be pretty much OK for one that would work proportionally. The 7Year body has a slim neck for the size of doll, so tht shouldn't cause a fit issue and if you stick to head sizes that correspond fairly closely ot the DollsTown 7year/5year/Elf sizes, you should be fine.

Teddy

#680 Teddy, Mar 5, 2022
      Last edited: Mar 5, 2022