1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolly androgyny -why do we like it?

Jul 25, 2008

1. Hey, HEY HEY HEY. I'd vote for androgynous Moons anytime, though I'm biased and it scares me when my boys look too manly =A=. Amber is such a knight though it's hard to take him for the opposite gender. I think it's the air he gives off actually *lol*.

2. *chuckle* Does this mean that I'm not crazy? The girlfriend's Moon, Asmodeus is downright demonic and, even then, I still find him to be quite girly sometimes, but then there's just the fact that he has that kind of personality. (Don't tell her I said that)

3. I see where you're coming from given the Moon's jawline but I have to say I picked the Moon for one of my most androgynous characters because he gave off the right air and I /didn't/ find him overly manly looking. XD; I think Ken's right; it depends on the character and how you put him together.

4. *totally going OT here...sorry cannot help the Moon fangirling* Moon is one of the more distinctively male CP sculpts (well yes, compared to like, Yders) but still given the right faceups they can be pretty damned feminine. Though it's probably the style that CP has which leans more towards an anime-ish type "pretty" doll, that makes their boys look more androgynous in comparison to some of the other companies with their more realistic sculpts.

I prefer the androgyny because as a doll owner, I can identify with my boys more easily when they have feminine characteristics or in other words, being metrosexual...it makes life so much easier that I can just make them look "pretty" according to my own tastes without having to worry about what boys should actually look or dress like. It doesn't necessarily mean skirts all the time but as my brother always comment on my dolls: "real guys would never wear stuff like that". ^^;

5. 'Probably true...
      Maybe Amber and Serras (Who's only gotten the "What a pretty girl"-thing once)... and Ansolm, for that matter... are just exceptionally dudely or something. :lol:

I don't find other people's Moons very fem, either, though. Sakuya and Ying have never looked as girly to me as Ahnju or D. Even in dresses.

6. Now... that is an interesting theory.

One of my girls, my small girl, is anything but androgynous. She is currently, wearing an absolutely beautiful hot pink wa loli kimono, has hot pink hair, red pupilless eyes, and pointed ears. Girly... and vampiric. Very not androgynous, though. On the other hand, my SD is currently wearing slacks and a pinstripe shirt. She could pass for a boy, and a couple people thought she -was- one at dollectable. Am I putting the large one in a boyish outfit because I may relate better to her that way? Maybe, I guess... but then I'm also a crossplay fanatic when it comes to cosplay... so... um... who really knows? I honestly just look at each doll and say "she needs this!" I don't think that much more into it.

7. Amusingly enough after I got Taira, my girlfriend's mother happened to catch us bringing him downstairs and asked us if he was supposed to look like my girlfriend and what were we calling her? :lol: Which was really not what I was going for and I don't think he looks like her at all but it's really in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

8. Leishu: I don't know, maybe it depends on each person's situation? Even though I like to dress down and be casual, I was never the tomboy. And hence I point the androgyny especially towards my boys because they're the ones having gender issues, not my girls...oh yeah, my girls are all positively 100% girls without doubt XD.

Speaking of which, Sakuya has never passed the "what a pretty girl!" thing with my friends and relatives...not for first-impressions, anyways.

9. Androgyny means alot of things, having one or more features from the opposite gender is androgynous as well as having no features from either gender.

10. I'm with linakauno - I like more mature dolls and don't particularly seek out androgynous ones. And I don't need a child substitute since I've got two little boys!

11. I like it. I like to see molds that work for characters of all ages and genders.

I'm still looking for a childlike boy 60cm-range doll for one of my characters. I draw very femmy boys with childlike faces, so I'd like to find a doll that expresses that same aspect as their characters, which usually come from my anime/manga-style drawings.

Actually, in the past, I did start a thread looking for childlike 60cm boys. I just like the softer kid features. I really dislike uber mature-looking dolls. XP

12. I wish there were more masculine molds. My brother wants a doll, but he says they all look so gay... I think so too, not that I mind the androgyny. But some of us like the masculine men. But not as masculine so it would be pegged as a big Action Man... :sweat Like the Unidoll guys. They are pretty masculine. :)

13. I appreciate androgyny in men and women. Actually, I'm a fan of variety. I don't just like fem boys, or fem boys that are dressed in the same sorts of ways and show the same basic personalities.

I like more masculine women too, whether it's in the way they look or through their personalities while staying pretty femme looking (or both!).

I think I like it not because androgyny is unusual in human nature but because it seems like without gender stereotyping it'd be the more natural way of being.

14. It is not my personal taste, I grew up reading comics books and anime and I want my men manly with nice muscular but slim builds (like Gambit from the X-Men) and my women sexy and stacked. Even in Anime there are plenty of women with mature bodies, they just have more adrodgoney in males which I don't go for.
      I also really like strong female characters, and when I get a male doll he will have to also be a strong character to balance them out.
      One of my all time favorite *would explode if I ever had one* sculpts is the UniDoll Ark, how masculine and strong and angry he looks, so hawt!

15. Reading your posts makes me wonder whether androgyny is far more the norm than mainline culture ever encourages us to entertain. Perhaps we are much more than our forty-fifth and forty sixth chromosome would have us believe. The odd thing is, when my daughter first explained this hobby to me (after I said "it costs HOW MUCH??!!"), I thought it would be full of pretty "out there" souls (sorry!) It turns out to be full of artists and philosophers. So this is where they were hiding!
      Shasta (maybe everyone should have to choose a doll!)

16. I've always found androgynous figures to be beautiful and I'm drawn to them. I guess they remind me of elves or angles, something mysterious and too beautiful to be one gender..it's kinda hard to explain why I'm attracted to them :sweat or maybe it's because they're just pretty to look at.

17. I don't really dislike androgyny on dolls, but I prefer to be able to tell the gender of a doll by looking at it. Androgyny is interresting on other peoples dolls though, and seeing it well done is always cool ^^

18. *sweetly* Don't tell me what?

It's rather fun to explore the gender issues and where the boundaries are sometimes. Does painting the nails make Asmodeus somehow less masculine? Depends on whether you consider nailpainting a female-exclusive activity. It's a way of making myself more comfortable with certain situations. By experiencing the action through Asmodeus or any of the other dolls, it settles things in my head and helps me to enjoy things more.

But now I want a Tilda Swinton-style androgynous doll. Dammit.

19. *shrugs* To be honest, I love thesedolls because their look conforms with my ideals of a beautiful human form. I find people with the same features attractive.

And I want one tooooo

20. Haha... been interested in anime and manga for a while... and though some manga have pretty-boys and some don't, I tend to lean towards the pretty-boy-mangas, maybe because of the way they are portrayed. Out of my own experience, pretty-boys usually seem to be mild-mannered, kind, caring, cold, cool, expressionless, or just plain evil. Non-pretty-boys seem to have more "original" personalities, but... I happen to like the stereotypical bishounen more. 8D So it's pretty-guy-dolls for me.