1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolly Birthdays

Jun 19, 2011

1. I don't celebrate by buying anything, but I will recognize the anniversary of each one's arrival. The date could be when I picked her up from the store, when she arrived in the mail, or when all the pieces were finally assembled - just depending on the situation. It's whenever she became a part of the family. There are good memories associated with those days.

2. I celebrate birthdays, I celebrate them the day the doll arrives.

3. I consider their birthdays to be the day that I opened their parcels. I don't really celebrate, though.

4. I did when I just had three, but now I have 7 it's hard to keep buying them things. I remember all their birthday's but I don't really celebrate them anymore.

5. I keep a spreadsheet of basic info on my dolls, including arrival dates and approximate production times--that helps me keep track of aging and yellowing--but despite how cold and clinical that sounds, I definitely do celebrate their birthdays! Mostly it's the arrival date, but I do have a couple of dolls I've bought to 're-shell' characters more than once, and their birthday stays the same even if the later versions arrive on different dates. Back when I used LJ, I would make a post each year on their birthdays with a look back at the year in terms of their photos, faceups, and other events :)

6. Only two of my dolls have birthdays, Aisling and Genesis. Aisling is somewhere vaguely in May (when she arrived, I think) and Genesis has a birthday tied to her character, but I don't remember what it is.

7. Hello Everyone!

I wanted to know if you give your dolls birthdays or not? If yes, do you choose at date at random, do you take the date they were delivered, or the date on the certificate they came with (if you got one), or another significant date (perhaps something related to their character, etc...)?

For me, I chose birthdays for my dolls according to when I officially named them. For me, it's the moment they became part of my doll family, but it isn't generally the date I get them, as I like to get to know them a bit before I choose a name ^^

8. Nice way of going about things ^_^ I didn't record the day I got Ces so I go off the company certificate. I use the day I got Seraphine and i'll do it that way for Neeko too.

9. Awesome, I really waffled about this when I got my first doll, but I never seem to have a clear personality in mind until I've had them for a few days ^^

10. Some have character birthdays, and one has two. The day he arrived and his character birthday. Some don't have a birthday at all!

11. I keep up with when I got the doll, but I don't do the character birthday thing.

12. I'll admit I snuck a peek at your doll family and I imagine it gets pretty difficult to keep track with such an awesome collection ^^ I had trouble with just three dolls :lol:

13. Kiyo and Dave have birthdays because they're character dolls who have canonical birthdays. The rest don't; I don't do the birthday thing unless a character's canon gives them a birthday.

14. Not really. I think I'll vaguely think, "Oh! I've had her for a year now!" but I don't remember the specific day. Though I'm awful with dates and such anyway.

I think it's really awesome how different people relate to their dolls so differently. It makes me take a second look at mine and appreciate them even more :)

15. I dont give my dolls birthdays because I can barely remember the names I name them. I dont do the character thing, but it would make sense to do birthdays if I did. I buy based on what they look like or what I think they could look like.

16. Well, all my boys have birthdays. It can be the date of arrival or the date on the certificate, depends on what date I like better:).

17. Being that Xavier was delivered on Halloween, and he's my 13th custom and all that spooky stuff is so him, I go by the date they arrive home. Three of my dolls are March 6-7-8 but we bump it up to doll day, one of the babies is April Fools Day, one group gets August 8 because that's when most of them arrive.

It's kind of like an adoption so I figure they know when they want to meet me.

18. I keep the arrival-date separate from the doll character's birthday. If a doll's character has a birthday, it just usually comes to me. Like, I get the feeling for what horoscope or time-of-year type of person he might be, then a date floats out of the air. Some of the dolls remain unbirthdayed just because I've never stopped to give them one yet. But some of my dolls don't have birthdays, because they're creatures who come from somewhere else where they don't have Time.

In one case, my 5-year-old niece gave my doll a birthday... When she met my little SD10 boy, naturally she peppered me with questions about him, as kids do manage to pepper you with all the questions you never have prepared answers to: "Where's his mommy? Why does he have a band-aid on his knee? Does he have any sisters? When is his birthday?" I had to either answer on the fly, or punt. "Uhhh, gee, Sofia, that's a good question! When do you think his birthday is?" She thought long and hard. Since her own birthday had just been the week before, its date was still fresh in her mind (June 15), so she declared that Rainey's birthday was on June 16. Sofia is creative only inasmuch as something can be made to relate to her. :lol: This was 2 years ago, and Sofia is still pen-pals with this doll, because she remembers they have birthdays 1 day apart, so I think she looks upon him as a contemporary.

19. Some of mine are character dolls, and so have a birthday preset. Some I just assign the arrival date, and others I got in parts so I pick one of those dates to be the birthday. And some I've totally forgotten when they arrived so I'll figure a date out from scratch. XD

20. Most of my dolls have character b-days before they get here, the less defined charaters get their b-days figured out after they arrive. I also use the horoscope to help pin down elements of their character and that helps me pick a date. I do also keep records of when I bought each doll, but I consider that more of a "doll anniversary" than a b-day.