1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolly burnout?

Jul 7, 2007

1. I think I get incredibly overwhelmed instead of burned out. I just hate how I can't keep up with *everything* and that in turn led to frustration. I also was irked how if I wanted to buy something of good quality for my dolls, it would always be ~$30 at the very least (yes, I'm aware of the correlation behind good quality and price, but it was always more and more icing on the cake).

Ever since I downsized, I felt interested into this hobby -- that it was just a hobby and not something that I needed to mindlessly agonize over. Sometimes I think that I was stupid for getting so caught up... But to an extent, I'm glad because once my dream dolly comes in next week, I can pretty much say that I'm safely done with the buying doll aspect and can focus more on their wardrobe, accessories, and shoes! Hooray!

2. I can feel burned out with the hobby (any hobby really), but I will always enjoy my dolls. Sometimes I become more interested in other things or maybe I just don't feel like spending as much time or money on them. But, I will still keep my dolls and love and enjoy them. I know that even if I drift from the hobby, I will come back to it eventually.

3. I hope so! What Im worried about is that Ill get bored while trying to save the insane amount of money! *_*

4. I'm afraid of that... and it's so comforting to hear how many of you have been into dolls for 2-3 years and still haven't burned out...

I get worried that I'll stop sewing and making things for them or that I'll just exhaust my picture ideas or the like... And I really don't want to do that. Not after spending so much time and money on them, you know?

I figure, thought, that I should be fine if I pace myself... I mean, if I start to slow down, that's all right. I can take a break and order a new doll. The new doll should spark the excitement again and I'd end up spending time with the older dolls to help prepare new clothes and make photostories about the new doll's arrival and things like that... I'm hoping that pacing myself like that helps me go on this hobby for a few good years.

5. Well it is posibble, like with all hobbies (just like me and Ragnarok online, I spent 2 and a half years on one server, made some friends and offcourse some enemies, I think I just had too much. I became a gamemaster and then I started to realize things and what I came to know digusted me...-.-' I'm still playing on a high rate server, just for fun with my boyfriend) but, BJD's are a little different, I read somewhere "once you name them, they have a soul", that is why it's not so common for bjd collectors to burn out so fast and even when they do dont sell their dolls. I hope I'll never have enough of this hobby, but even if I do, Loki will stay here, so if I have children they can play and take care of her.

6. This is an interesting idea! I've only had my Mariya for about a week now but I feel like she's "mine" and I'm enjoying getting to know her. I've had hobbies in the past that came and went and before I got my girl I was wondering about burnout as well. This is not a cheap hobby, and it requires a lot of money and can be extremely time-consuming.

However, there IS something different about BJD collecting. For one thing, the community is so varied and welcoming. I'm sure there is drama and bad vibes here too just like in every group, but overall everyone is really kind. Plus the dolls themselves are breathtakingly beautiful--in so many different ways as well! :D

7. Hmmmm well I thing most hobbies burnout but you always come back to them. My old hobbies usually burn out because like I can't afford it so its no longer fun as long as you keep it flowing it wont. An if it does am sure you will go back to it.
      I don't think I'd sell my dolls either. They would be senitmental ^_^

8. Sometimes I feel burnout, but I think it is my life in general and not my dolls. If I am unhappy or depressed about something, I don't really feel like playing with them. There are weeks and sometimes months when I don't do anything doll-related except read the forum and look at the gallery. Sooner or later, whatever has been bothering me resolves itself and I play with them again. It gives me great pleasure just to look at them though, even when I am not actively involved with them; kind of like looking at a favorite painting or photograph.

9. Every now and then I don't touch the hobby for awhile. Usually when I'm really busy or stressed. I always come back, though. :) This is a hobby that I probably will never lose interest in.

10. I think that just seeing and wanting a brand new doll brings all the excitement back, so many things to plan, to buy, so many possibilities! So, taking a rest once in a while is good, so that when you come back there are many new things to see.

The possibility of losing interest one day does exist, but for me all it means is that I'll stop buying things and coming to the forum, I will never sell my dolls, which is why I plan to have a small number of them, just the ones I can't resist no matter what. Because in the end, they are still amazingly beautiful little pieces of art, even if it is just for display :)

11. Having collected one type of doll or another for over 20 years, I have to admit that I certainly do go thru times of dolly burnout. When that happens I simply stop buying & playing with them for a while, maybe sell a few & go on with my other interests. Yet eventually the siren songs of dolls call me back & I'm hooked just as bad as I previously was.

Sometimes it's a new type of doll that re-arises my interest or sometimes I simply fall in love with a part of my collection over again. At this point I can't see myself ever being completely doll free & I see my interest in BJDs as a very long time one. They are everything that I've been attracted to in various dolls all rolled into one.

12. well... i dunno i hope not ^^

I haven't burned out of manga and J-pop tho i've stopped listening and buying each w-inds. stuff once they come out. But that's cos i spend so much time on BJDs and manga now.

But i can safely say i don't burn out of anything really. God i'm still as crazy about Keita Tachibana since er 4 years ago... and FLAME since well 5/6 years ago.

I find, once i love something loads i stopped always having it around. i.e. i have loads of w-inds. stuff, i luv them to bits but i don't spend every minute on them, i've stopped listening to their songs cos i have every single song and heard it non-stop for years...

I slo adore loads of stuff but i just get back to it every so often. I took a year break from j-pop, not listening to it as much but i still luv it. It would be the same with dolls. Once Cain gets here, i might be going slower, only cos i want JEz but might go with getting my floating heads some bodies.

No way will i ever leave Rae by himself. Even if one day he is shelved. i'll always come and give him a cuddle (this is coming from a girl with a crush on the same guy for nearly 7 years, the same band for 6 years, obsessed with Keita.T for 4 years... i never confessed cos of well, very long story, don't want to talk about it.

13. No 'burnouts' per say, but defintally breaks. I think it's normal to go a period of time where you just have to sit back and relax, so to speak, from the hobby. But that could be the concept of 'enjoying real life once in a blue moon'.

I took a long break from the hobby, but it was a refeshing one (though kind of "I'm moving and getting a new job break" so it was totally by choice).

Right now, as I'm a bit more settled in my new place (and have the legendary INTERNETS back) I'm enjoying the hobby as much as ever. Though the only downside is all the customizations I have to go through before my boys are re-presentable. Among money limitations and the time it takes for comissions/mods/face ups/new clothes that in itself is almost like taking a break from the hobby (aka no money to spend on the boys for things other between mods, face ups and buying new bodies).

I don't see myself leaving the hobby, though I do understand about this hobby being a phase. Neh, I love my boys too much to want to give them up completely. ^_^

14. id say for the people who do burn out..instead of saling theyre dolls they let other people barrow them xD haahahhahahaha yeah right...

15. No burnout for me..but I've been collecting dolls since when I was little and I'm only now starting to feel the "burnout" for my 80's dolls and selling them to fund my BJD's. ^_^

But I'm going to have to agree with idrisfynn, I've been in this hobby since 04, and I've seen people sell dolls and just walk away. You wont find them here, but I remember their dolls vividly, some of them were around from the beginning.

"dolly burnout" is different for everyone, maybe you'll stop going to the forums for a while like I did or maybe you'll leave the hobby like others do but I then everyone goes trough periods of quiet in the hobby. I mean, you cant focus on BJD's 24/7 that would be exhausting!

16. I've been feeling a little burned out on BJD for a few months now. I started the year with 3 dolls and I've sold 2. Lately I've been thinking about getting another doll because my girl is really sad and lonely since I sold her friends. I've still been buying her things and checking DoA multiple times a day but I just haven't felt as excited to play with my girl or take pictures.

17. I've never had that happen with any of my hobbies, and I definitely hope this one isn't the first. :O

18. I'm experiencing a bit of a on and off burnout at the moment. A lot of my friends own dolls and I have to see/hear about them every day, it just gets exhausting after awhile. Cutting myself off from anymore doll purchases and selling the dolls I was no as into as my others, along with having days where I just disappear from internet land all has really helped.

19. For a while I was really excited about them and wanted to get one and I had about $300. Then I was like....nahhh I'll just throw her in the closet and never play with her. So I spent all the money. Which sorta counts! And then I decided I wanted one again so I saved, and saved, and saved, and finally got a doll! I hope it doesn't happen again!

20. I don't think Im burnt out yet... I still like them but I don't buy for them as much as I used to. Im still trying to collec all the DoTs. xD