1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolly burnout?

Jul 7, 2007

1. Well, I've been collecting dolls pretty much my whole life, although I've only had BJDs for a little over a year - but they are like the dolls I always dreamed of having but could never find! About the only time I ever experience burnout with dolls is when I'm depressed. But then, when I feel that way I don't want anything, not just dolls, so I guess that really doesn't count. However, I think with any hobby there will be times that you are more into it than others. If that happens, I say just pack your dolls away for a little while. Chances are you'll start missing them, and then have a ton of fun when you bring them back out again ^-^

2. I think I was approaching doll-burnout just after my last house move back in February, but I think it was mostly a case of far too much RL-stuff going on at the time, so I just didn't have the time to devote to the dolls. I pretty much stopped even reading doll-related stuff on LJ (I have a huge backlog of stories to catch up on!), and there was only one DOA thread I bothered following.

Then after my daughter's birth (just over 7 weeks ago), I realised the dolls had been so neglected, they were actually gathering dust.

This week, I've been taking the dolls down one at a time, tidying up wigs, changing clothes, and generally getting reacquainted with them all; even making tentative plans for getting bodies for a couple of my disembodied heads. A 5-month gap has refreshed my view of them before I got too jaded, I think. And BJDs are pretty forgiving. ;)

3. I don't think I've burnt out on my dolls themselves... I still love these little guys to bits, and have no plans to get rid of the majority of them... but I think I've more or less hit that "I'm Outta Here" point with the more "active" parts of the hobby.

Meets? I don't really have much desire to attend Seattle's meets any more. They've gotten too big, too loud and too crowded to be much fun socially-speaking, and I don't find that I have a lot in common with the group of younger owners that they've been attracting.

Pictures? I gave up doing photostories about a year ago, but kept on occasionally doing portrait sets of some of the dolls. Lately I haven't had any desire or motivation to even do that. This morning, given a choice between tinkering with my library or taking pictures of Harumatsu and Ryuko in the park, I picked the books... So, I think it's safe to say that we've seen the last of my regular Turtle House photosets. It's telling, I guess, that I can say that and honestly have no regrets about it.

Sewing? I still do it for my guys if they need something specific, but in general there are enough clothes to go around, so I don't feel there's a need for it very often. I've re-discovered the fun of making things for *me* to wear. :lol:

Posting on the boards? I do still do that (obviously-). It's habit more than anything, though... and I am trying to slowly disengage from them... But even so, it's always been more about chatting with people than talking about dolls to me, and that's something that can better be accomplished elsewhere. :sweat

4. that is quite true - have had burn out on numerous hobbies, and good clean break makes you appreciate the hobbey when you feel it is the best time to go back to it ... I used to read a lot and clocked 3 books a day on average (wish I could speed read like I could then!) and now it maybe 1 book a fortnight but I believe I get more from them from reading and digesting them more slowly ... same with clubbing - took a year break as I was getting full of ennui, then met new friends when I tentively started again, then was back on 4 days a week clubbing and the time of my life.

Not experienced dollfie burn out yet as I only started this year with this hobbey, but I really do enjoy the customisation aspect and although I have a week break now and again when RL comes along, that's part of the ride with most things I think.

5. I'd have to say I'm in the same boat with Brightfires. I've got my dolls and I still enjoy them. I have no intention of getting rid of the majority of them. I go to meets occasionally and there are a few people I still interact with, but overall I'm finding I get less enjoyment out of the forums and have less of an obsessive *need* to post or check on things.

I don't think I've burned out, just moved elsewhere in my hobbies and interests.

6. Since admitting to burnout a couple pages back I've been thinking I should attempt to be a bit more articulate about it. ^_~ Part of it is there just isn't much coming out that is compelling to me... It's just "more of the same". For a long time every day felt like a new discovery in this hobby, but yeah, those days for me are gone. I check on things and so forth, but the old obsessiveness has lessened. I'm no longer impressed by blue hair or floofy dresses, LOL.

Here it's just a repeat. Old threads, old subjects. That's okay, I understand there are a lot of new folks to whom those subjects are relevant.

As for meets, I still enjoy those a lot. There's an older crowd there I enjoy. Some are old friends from antique doll days of yore, and they aren't on here much so it's nice to hobnob IRL.

The thing is, BJD used to be so 'avant garde'. Now it's 'meh'. I want more "push the envelope" sort of things, but they don't seem to be happening. Ah well!

Raven

7. Well actually the dream of having a BJD kinda helped me hang on after my boyfriend left me. I was deep into drepression and a new hobby was more than welcome to cheer me up. So, for now, no doll burnout for me.

I think that as long as it keeps being a hobby and not an unhealty obsession, it won't lead to a burnout. You just have to set limits and remain reasonable .
      A hobby should always bring happiness if it doesn't then the person must stop.

(Did all that made any sense ? My english can be hard to follow sometimes :sweat )

8. I have been feeling a bit of burnout lately, but what it comes down to is that I'm retreating into things that I used to do a lot more of... like writing and drawing, instead of just playing with my boys. ^^ I still love them to pieces and wouldn't want to give them up. But I've also reached a point where I don't want any more. It's time to stick to the crew (and possibly +1) that I've got.

The funny thing is, when I am feeling burned out with real life, I tend to play more with my dolls. Right now real life is fairly relaxed, even if I am busy, so I don't feel driven to distract myself! :sweat

9. Yes I have had that but with other dolls. I am just so fed up with them. :(

10. I only have one doll, and I was feeling burn-out on the character..I was sick of pink and frilly things..so I just gave my doll a makeover to be one of my other characters. :) That's how I prevent boredom. They're siblings anyway, it was an easy switch.

I've never been burned out on my doll because it's a doll, but more of what it currently looked like. I mean if nothing else it helps me with drawing, it's a big part of my life(the only item besides my laptop that's NOT going into storage when I move).
      I think just updating it makes it fun again, just my thoughts. :) even if it's a slightly different shade of hair color or something, a new shirt...it's good to look at something you're not used to seeing, and you feel refreshed.

11. I haven't experienced burnout with dollfies at this point. I think the key to it for me is not getting completely swept up into it with no boundaries. I have a limit set for how many dolls I will own, and sticking within that will keep me from burn out. I got burn out with MLPs, and thinned down and thinned down, and now I enjoy them again. If I get overwhelmed with my number, I'll get burned out. If I have the sense to stay within a certain bounds, I won't.

12. I never really did the doll thing before these guys and my dolls are based on original characters that I have been involved with for years.

I frequently go through hobbies at a surprising rate, nothing sticks. But with these guys, it's been going strong for over two years now and that's amazing for me personally. I don't see myself burning out anytime soon if ever. Even if I'm not involved in the "community", I'm still involved with my boys because there is so much background and history I can draw on. Having them in physical form only makes that more real to me.

They also allow me to use skills I learned along the way from other hobbies, making those hobbies more fulfilling again.

13. I've been in the hobby for quite a number of years now and as far as my dollies go, no burnouts whatso ever - in fact my love of them keeps getting stronger as time goes on. I'm too emotionally wrapped up with them, I'd have to go brain dead in order to lose that -haha

There are certain aspects of the hobby I have pretty much given up though - I haven't attended a local meet in a very long time [small enclosed crowded spaces are not my thing D:] really I prefer smaller gatherings over the large ones and all the Seattle meets these days have been way too huge for me to enjoy, so I just don't go.

I also have up and down times when it comes my sewing/piccy taking/etc with them <-- but those are really no different than normal as they come and go regardless and really has little to do with the dollies themselves, more to do with my moods [lol - artist's heart and all that nonsense]

But even if I ever decide to retreat completely from the social aspect of the hobby, I'll never burn out on my dollie crew [or any my friend's dollie crews] cause I love them all too much and there's nothing out there that could dampen that love for me in any way ^_^

14. Well my first little one just got here a couple days ago so I'm all gun ho to get her situated, I still need to pay her off and I already have a list of dolls I want to adopt eventually! I don't see my having burn out anytime soon no..

15. As of now I'm kind of sizzling -- not quite at ease and not entirely burned out. I still love my dolls, but I find myself contemplating just selling everything a lot more than usual. I'm never quite satisfied with anything I do with my guys, and it's more of a downer than it is uplifting and enjoyable. I'm all for chances though, and I'm continuously working on things that could bring back that bond. I just recently ordered a new sewing machine, so I'm hoping that learning to sew things for them will bring on an element of enjoyment. I also hope to practice faceups again once all the humidity clears out. I post a lot more on the boards too. I find that looking at other dolls and reading up on discussion kind of reignites a little of something.

I can't really pinpoint my future, but I have a little inkling that I'll probably be done with dolls in a year.

16. I burn out of all my hobbies. but it's not permanent with most. I burn out, then come back. dolls will likely be the same. I KNOW I'll burn out. at that point, i'll just sit back, enjoy what I enjoy, and come back when I get that urge again. I'm never gonna sell my favorite dolls. ^_^

17. Mine do kind of the same for me--I got back into writing again, after buying dolls to be characters of mine. Having 3-D interactive forms helped me reconnect with my characters and want to write about them. I've been doing less with visual art lately, but I've started working on some doll related artwork which is starting to get me going with drawing again.

18. I don't know if I'd call it burnout, exactly. But I did sell my first BJD (the first I bought was the first I sold, incidentally), which I said I'd never ever ever do...so that's a sign of something, though. But if I start to feel unhappy with "the hobby" I take a step back for a day or two, and then I can refocus on the fact that my dolls make me very happy :D

19. I'm off and on. Since they're dolls, i don't feel guilty if they just sit around and look pretty and get the occasional cuddle for a while. I know that sooner or later i'll get the urge to sew for them or take pictures again. Even if i don't feel like doing things with them, i still feel happy with them hanging around.

20. One thing about this hobby, unless your wealthy and not concerned with costs, you are forced to take the hobby slowly..
      It can teach some of us that we have to work to earn our desserts